OMG - AAP says circumcision benefits outweigh the risks?!?!!! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 93 Old 08-27-2012, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

For the first time since 1999, the AAP is stating that the benefits of circumcision outweigh the risks. I just read this and couldn't believe what I was reading. Is anyone else as shocked as I am? I cannot believe they are actually putting forward the idea that routine circumcision is a good idea. Wow. I thought we were moving away from routine circumcision... wonder where we'll be headed now.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/27/health/aap-circumcision-recommendation/index.html

Mama to DS REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(March 2010) and DD  baby.gif  (June 2012)

#2 of 93 Old 08-27-2012, 07:23 PM

That is so... upsetting. What a huge step backwards. To think of all of the ignorant articles and regurgitated half-truths that are about to be spewed, chewed up and re-spewed. I have a pit in my stomach :(

Mom to Delia  (5/25/07) and Alex  (4/10/10) and 2 spoiled kitties
#3 of 93 Old 08-27-2012, 07:27 PM

I just saw this and came here to post about it.

greensad.gif  All the poor babies who will suffer because of this.  Please someone say that there is hope of this being overturned...I remember a couple of years ago when the AAP tried to soften the official language used to describe female circumcision, there was an outcry from the public, and the academy quickly retracted their statements.  I wish something like that would happen to save the poor boys.  :(

Loving mother, Devoted Wife
#4 of 93 Old 08-27-2012, 07:33 PM

It's financially motivated.

Who are the AAP? A bunch of doctors who get paid to circumcise. A lot of their kids are probably circumcised, and I think we can safely assume the AAP members are probably circumcised.

As we know, the doctors/hospitals get a huge payday off circumcisions.

Read this:
http://www.circumcision.org/aap.htm
#5 of 93 Old 08-27-2012, 07:34 PM

As I said before, despicable. Docs against circumcision have a great analysis how this is utterly financially motivated. So sad. 

#6 of 93 Old 08-27-2012, 09:52 PM

it hit the AOL news today. haven't seen it on local TV news yet though. 

#7 of 93 Old 08-28-2012, 03:17 AM

The best way to fight fire is with fire. LLL did breastfeeding studies to prove the benefits of breastfeeding. There needs to be an organization that can raise money and prove or disprove these and other claims.
#8 of 93 Old 08-28-2012, 05:36 AM

I read a blog about this yesterday who agreed to the change. I was like "SAY whaaaaattt???" irked.gif It got me flustered for sure. 

SAHM, college student, AND expecting #2 EDD March 20 2014! belly.gif(25)  * DS (10/2010)jog.gif *

Loving life with DBF (24) flowersforyou.gif since 10/2009 heartbeat.gif

Rainbow.gif *intactlact.gif* selectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif* goorganic.jpg * familybed1.gif *cd.gif

#9 of 93 Old 08-28-2012, 07:45 AM

I was so excited when I read about the AAP's recent policy changes on breastfeeding in which they express interest in distancing themselves from pharmaceutical/formula companies.  I even considered spending a little time looking around for a pediatrician for my 3 children.

Now this. 

I guess we'll continue boycotting this profession since their own leaders cannot get their sh** together and continue abusing the innocent members of society to pad their bottom lines.

Loving mother, Devoted Wife
#10 of 93 Old 08-28-2012, 08:46 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tammylsmith View Post

That is so... upsetting. What a huge step backwards. To think of all of the ignorant articles and regurgitated half-truths that are about to be spewed, chewed up and re-spewed. I have a pit in my stomach greensad.gif

I know, right. So hurtful all around.
#11 of 93 Old 08-28-2012, 12:47 PM

No way on earth would I ever have a baby boy circumcised!  After hearing an infant screaming bloody murder at my urologists office while getting circumcised, I would never put a baby though that kind of sick torture.  I don't understand why cooporations are starting to go back to the pro-circ stuff again.  Doctor's can afford to lose a bit of money if it will mean that a baby boy can stay intact, because they don't need to be circumcised.

You know, I have always wondered why so many people get freaked out by female circumcision, but could care less about male circumcision.  Males should be able to stay intact, just like females.nocirc.gif

Jessie

#12 of 93 Old 08-28-2012, 02:05 PM

Ya know, it's kinda like the whole "breech birth is deadly" argument. MISMANAGED breeches are dangerous. Same here. MISMANAGED intact boys (forced retractions for starters, anyone?) leads to greater risk of (admittedly mostly minor) problems. Maybe if peds were actually educated with evidence-based practices, they'd realize that the so-called "benefits" are in reality just trying to make up for their incompetence.
nia82 and Blueberry159 like this.

Loads of blessings, and learning on the job.
run.gif 

#13 of 93 Old 08-28-2012, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pek64 View Post

The best way to fight fire is with fire. LLL did breastfeeding studies to prove the benefits of breastfeeding. There needs to be an organization that can raise money and prove or disprove these and other claims.

I don't think that it would even take that much....just highlighting the relative risk to put these "findings" into context. 

Our son is intact, but if I were a new or soon-to-be mama on the fence and not one to do much research, the "reduced penile cancer" would likely resonate with me.  However, without numbers, "reduced" means nothing.  The risks associated with circumcising are hard to find.  However, the American Cancer Society cites penile cancer rates of 1/100,000, and according to the CDC, even states with the lowest breast cancer rates are 100 times higher than that (101.9-117.7/100,00).  Despite that, no one is advocating preventative mastectomies for our daughters (and I suspect no one in their right mind would do so). 

Aside from the fact that hacking off part of your baby isn't the most intuitive way to prevent STDs and a disease commonly associated with having one, putting numbers beside this recommendation would certainly highlight the lunacy behind it.

Blueberry159 likes this.

Camille~
Mama to F (3/09) and S (3/11); and never forgetting my babe gone too soon angel1.gif(4/10).

#14 of 93 Old 08-28-2012, 03:53 PM

I think the fact that it (LLL) is a name known organization ans they published their own studies carried much more weight than if the subject had been handled differently.
#15 of 93 Old 08-28-2012, 04:10 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pek64 View Post

I think the fact that it (LLL) is a name known organization ans they published their own studies carried much more weight than if the subject had been handled differently.

As far as I know, LLL has never commissioned their own studies on breastfeeding.  I've been going to meetings for 10 years (since the month before my first was born in 2002).  If I'm mistaken, please link to them.

I think what you are *trying* to say is that LLL has made it known that there are studies that show that breastfeeding has benefits.  I've never liked this language though, as it sets breastfeedng up as special, etc.  It's not; it's just normal & all else isn't.  Much the same as there are not benefits to being intact; it's all normal.  There are risks to being circumcised.

Sus

Baby the babies while they're babies so they don't need babying for a lifetime.
#16 of 93 Old 08-28-2012, 04:14 PM

I am so upset about this! I JUST convinced DH to keep DS-to-be intact I hope he doesn't hear about this and change his mind.

#17 of 93 Old 08-28-2012, 04:24 PM

Sorry. Can't provide links because I read it on paper. Not sure if I still have that stuff. This goes back longer, to 1998. Or maybe 99. I still have some boxes from those days. Not even sure I remember where I read it. I could give you all the info I remember, but that would sidetrack the discussion even more.

Of course it's natural, but they're saying the artificial way is better, so someone needs to prove the natural way is actually better. That is, I believe, the best way to get those near the fence to come on over. Those *on* the fence would need less persuasion, most likely.
#18 of 93 Old 08-28-2012, 05:28 PM

Hey Tips... Just don't bring it up. If he does (which is unlikely, since he'd probably just rather not talk about it if he's anything like my dh), you know the facts. be nonchalant about it and poke holes in the argument. Don't even leave the doorway open :-)

Blueberry159 likes this.

#19 of 93 Old 08-28-2012, 06:50 PM

Boo :( Shame on them.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#20 of 93 Old 08-28-2012, 07:20 PM

One of the comments says "I have a question for the anti-circumcision fanatics: If they truly oppose removing a healthy body part without the consent of the child, why aren't they protesting the removal of the umbilical cord?"    wow    Can you say ANALOGY FAIL?... lol   As depressing as the article is- that gave me a good laugh.

ROTFLMAO.gif

novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   homebirth.jpg    lady.gif of 4:bikenew.gif5 yr    blahblah.gif    4 yr   sleepytime.gif   2 yr   baby.gif  2 mo
#21 of 93 Old 08-28-2012, 07:49 PM

Location: In the mountains, under the redbuds, smelling the roses.

Yes, so upsetting and backward in this day and age. 

om.gif

homeschooling mom to 2 pisces & 2 sag

homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg 

#22 of 93 Old 08-28-2012, 08:01 PM

Sigh.  And back I go to my Facebook soapbox.  Just when people were starting to get over my last breastfeeding tirade.  But I can't let this go unchallenged!

Wife to DH from Mexico, and mother to DD (01/10); DS (09/11); and one on the way (03 or 04/14)  buddamomimg1.png

#23 of 93 Old 08-28-2012, 09:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammylsmith View Post

That is so... upsetting. What a huge step backwards. To think of all of the ignorant articles and regurgitated half-truths that are about to be spewed, chewed up and re-spewed. I have a pit in my stomach :(

Yes - same here. I can imagine that this only going to reconfirm and validate all my friends with a pro-circ viewpoint - especially those who were on the fence. It's so sad. 

#24 of 93 Old 08-28-2012, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma1325 View Post

I just saw this and came here to post about it.

greensad.gif  All the poor babies who will suffer because of this.  Please someone say that there is hope of this being overturned...I remember a couple of years ago when the AAP tried to soften the official language used to describe female circumcision, there was an outcry from the public, and the academy quickly retracted their statements.  I wish something like that would happen to save the poor boys.  :(

The bolded completely baffles me. HOw a logical person doesn't see that female and male circumcision are the same thing - it blows my mind. Its so cruel that there isn't the same outrage for the poor boys. 

A couple of months back I had a conversation with a pregnant friend about circumcision and what she planned to do with her son. She is someone who is strongly against female circumcision and she had actually done some research on it in her graduate studies. We had conversations about this before we both had our first children. Fast forward to a couple of months ago - I was completely taken aback when she told me they were going to circumcise their son. When I told her circumcising her son was the same as female circumcision (in the softest way possible) she emphatically denied they were the same. 

#25 of 93 Old 08-29-2012, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegoodearth View Post

Yes - same here. I can imagine that this only going to reconfirm and validate all my friends with a pro-circ viewpoint - especially those who were on the fence. It's so sad. 

Yeah. I'm 100% sure my sister is now going to circ her baby when he's born.  She was on the fence but her husband said he would like it done.  I had her convinced that there was no medical reason. They were looking for a medical reason. Now they have one.  They're not going to bother to really look into the studies the AAP used and realize they are flawed. Thanks, AAP.

Another anecdote...my friend had a baby a few days ago and circ'd him because she read that the AAP was going to come out with a new stance and that it would prevent him from getting HIV. She almost changed her mind at the last minute and her husband said no. 

Then she went on to tell me that her husband couldn't bear to change his diaper because he couldn't stand looking at the scabs. :(  But he's the one who insisted on making her go through with it in the first place.  It really makes me sad!  

I wish I were brave enough to post on facebook about the AAP stuff.  I have way too many friends who circ'd their kids because it was the norm and just don't want to deal with fighting them today.

#26 of 93 Old 08-29-2012, 05:33 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Intelligent people such as ourselves will still be against circ. 

bellyhair.giftreehugger.gif     coolshine.gif      greenthumb.gif     read.gif
#27 of 93 Old 08-29-2012, 11:30 AM

We are rising up!  We are demanding that this new policy be retracted.  Please join us because every voice counts!  This is what you can do...

http://www.ourmuddyboots.com/the-aap-statement-what-you-can-do/

The AAP Statement: 12 Things YOU Can Do!

1. Visit the AAP’s Facebook page and let them know what you think about their revised policy.

2. Read the critique of the statement so that you understand why it is flawed.

3. Become informed: Visit Saving Our Sons and follow their Facebook Page to understand more about routine infant circumcision.

4. Find and “like” your local chapter of The Intact Network on Facebook. This will keep you up to date and will let you know when there is something specific that needs to be done.

5. Learn as much as you can about Circumcision so that you can answer questions asked of you and so that the fire starts to burn in you.

6. Remind yourself again and again what the AAP’s decision does NOT change.

7. Change your timeline banner, grab some graphics and spread the word. It is more important now more than ever that people understand circumcision.

8. Order some info cards that you can share in places where parents- to- be can find them.

9. E mail, write, call, or protest in front of your local AAP office or your own local hospital.

10. Contact your pediatrician and OB/GYN to let them know that you oppose their support of Routine Infant Circumcision.

11. Make a donation to Saving Our Sons to help cover the cost of all of the work that is being done.

12. Most importantly, remember that you never, EVER need to doubt that Routine Infant Circumcision is wrong.

#28 of 93 Old 08-29-2012, 11:34 AM

A few good responses to the AAP's Task Force Statement:

AAP Circumcision Policy Statement: A Critique: http://www.drmomma.org/2012/08/aap-circumcision-policy-statement.html

Children's Health & Human Rights Partnership Condemns New AAP Policy Statement: http://chhrp.org/index.php/news/childrens-health-human-rights-partnership-condemns-new-aap-policy-statement/

Doctors Opposing Circumcision Commentary on AAP Policy Statement: http://www.doctorsopposingcircumcision.org/pdf/2012-08-26A_Commentary.pdf

Blueberry159 likes this.
#29 of 93 Old 08-29-2012, 12:40 PM

This is so shocking to me that they made this recommendation. So sad. This is all about the money.
#30 of 93 Old 08-29-2012, 01:46 PM

I did want to add, on a brighter note, that googling circumcision generally leads to this forum. That's how I ended up here while pregnant with ds. I hadn't definitely decided against it because I didn't know any better... but the AAP's policy had nothing to do with  my decision. They were tooting the "circ prevents STDs" horn long before this statement. Some might be convinced, but many others come here and get their courage and information to do the right thiing :-)

abiyhayil likes this.

Tags
Circumcision

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page