did anyone see the Ricki Lake show about circumcision yesterday? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-12-2012, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Man, Ricki Lake needs to do more research on circumcision before she does a show on it.  I watched her episode on circumcision and the HPV vaccination, and was very disapointed at how she presented the circumcision part.  Most of the show was pro-circ.  There was probably only 2-3 people (including a doctor) who were against circumcision 100%.  Everyone else had been for circumcising thier child, quoting stuff like its cleaner, less STD's, less UTI's, prettier looking, etc.

It made me sick to see how uneducated people were about circumcision.  In fact, they had a guy on there who got circumcised when he was in his 30's and said that it wasn't that painful at all.  Then again, he sais that he was numbed a lot and a laser was used to perform it instead of a scalpel.  Not only this, his forskin retraced a bit already.  It is not like a newborns, who don't retract at all (which makes the procedure much more painful, no matter how much pain medicine you give a newborn). 

People considering circimcusion should read these two books: "Say No To Circumcision!"and "Circumcision Exposed".  In addition to this, they should read back issues of Mothering Magazine.  Ricki Lake should have mentioned these resources on her show.  I bet a lot of the audience would have changed their minds.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2012, 05:36 PM

"Prettier looking". That one turns my stomach so much. Someone who says they want to circ, because it's "prettier" is basically saying, "I'm doing cosmetic surgery on my newborn and I'm doing so to suit my own sexual preference". There's just so much ick to go around on that one.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

Old 10-12-2012, 07:32 PM

The Business of Being Circumcised

Tags
Circumcision
User Tag List