When should they learn how to clean? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 11-04-2012, 12:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My son just turned 5. When do I start teaching him about his foreskin and how to retract to clean during bathing?  He does not explore down there and I'm afraid that if I introduce the idea to him, and he isn't retractable yet that he might tear himself. I suspect he is at least partially retractable right now. I did mention it once, but he didn't understand what I meant and pulled the opposite way, stretching himself out lol so I just let it go. I got a bit worried he might scar himself if he tries that in the other direction.

Another question I just came across this about bubble bath that I hadn't known before. We haven't used it often (used only 1 bottle in 5 years) but just bought another bottle which I'm guessing will be going in the garbage.. Is everyone already aware of this?

http://www.cirp.org/library/treatment/phimosis/

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." -Edmund Burke (1729-1797)
#2 of 8 Old 11-04-2012, 07:23 AM

My feeling/plan is while they're still taking baths, as opposed to showers, just sitting in water hanging out is all the cleaning they really need. I'm also fairly sure at some point whether he's currently interested or not, he'll start exploring his penis and then a simple reminder to wash your hair, wash your butt, wash your penis, is totally fine. I don't really think he's going to need explicit instructions.

Alison: BFing, BWing, ERFing mama to KidA (12/25/07) and KidO (6/26/10) nocirc.giffamilybed2.gif

#3 of 8 Old 11-05-2012, 12:27 PM

My son is five too and it's never crossed my mind to tell him explicitly to clean it, really...  I mean, I don't even know how that works, really.  I'm *assuming* he's going to figure it out.  I don't remember my mom ever telling or showing me how to clean myself either...  Just kind of happened.

#4 of 8 Old 11-05-2012, 02:15 PM

My boys are 9 and 6, they bathe themselves, and we talk about this a couple times a year. But we also talk about how they are washing their hair, and to make sure they are using soap all over their bodies, and to not pee in the bath water. *shrug* It's very simple, retract as far as you can, swish it in the water, put it all back, continue with the bath, and never use soap under the foreskin. 

The whole conversation takes 5min or so, and we all get on with life.

Homeschooling Ama to boys (ages 10 and 6) and my SoldierGirl who is serving in the US Army, StepMom to three crazy teens. I'm married to the love of my life. 

Love is an action word. 

Words have power...use them wisely.

Who you are is just enough.

Molon Labe

#5 of 8 Old 11-10-2012, 06:05 AM

It is not required that you teach them how to clean themselves. I have a friend that is from ireland and when i asked him about this he told me that no one ever told him to clean himself, it is something that he did completely by himself. Humans have existed for approximately 200,000 years and it was not until approximately 4,000 years ago that the first incidences of foreskin amputation came about and then only among adult egyptian priests. Beause hum,ans evolved on the plains of africa they had very little access to fresh water supplies. The areas where there was standing water were excellent stalking grounds for predators so evolution iwas decidedly against individuals that required regular cleaning of their genitals. Also none of the indigenous cultures that inhabited north america before the arrival of european settlers practiced circumcision and they did not have any modern cleaning facilities, but they did not have much problems with their foreskins or genital health and the same goes for indiigenous tribes in the amazon today. In addition most circumcised males clean their penises ( i hope they do) without being told so i suspect that it is not any different for intact males. Under normal circumstances you would not need to worry about your sons penis at all unless there was a problem, but since you live in the united states you have to be constantly on alert for uninfrormed doctors or relatives potentially doing something that could damage his genital health for life, as well as deal with the total lack of information on the subject that can lead many parents to worry about their children without any reason at all.
I am very glad that you kept your son intact and am sure he will thank you for it later on. I thought that this was important to write because i have heard to many stories of constantly over zealous cleaning which can be very damaging to the foreskin. I have heard many mothers here from outside the u.s state that they never teach their sons how to clean themselves, so you really do not need to teach them this. If you feel uncomfortable about it though make sure that you do not use soap or abrasive agents and that you do not do it more than you would give them a bath.

Good luck and good work in protecting your son, i am sure he will not have any problems at all.
#6 of 8 Old 11-10-2012, 09:39 AM

I come from a non-circing culture. I have never taught my sons how to clean their penises, and I have never heard of anybody that does. I have never heard any discussion of this. Nobody actually worries about their son's foreskins at all. I guess the boys investigate/play with their penis while in the bath and figure it out by themselves. ;) I would certainly never tell them to pull the foreskin back or anything like that. It sounds a bit intrusive to me, and potentially harmful.

#7 of 8 Old 11-10-2012, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice... I come from a family of all girls, DH is circ'd, and all my nephews are circ'd (8of them!) so this is new to me and I thought at some point he was supposed to be guided how to clean.. probably from something I read on a webpage once. Oop my mistake. Well that makes my job even easier. Now at some point in the future maybe 3 or 4 years from now should I at least mention to never use soap there because it can be irritating/damaging? (what happens if rinsed with soapy water instead of plain water?) Or is that something not necessary to mention also, will they just know or figure it out? (definitely would not mention anything now.. he is at the age he does exactly what you tell him NOT to do) He washes himself now, but just with a washcloth in plain water, I'm not a soap user myself, I almost never use soap and so when I've given him baths we skip soap completely. My husband uses soap though and I suspect when he gives him a bath he uses soap but most of the time I give him the bath. He has had occasional bubble baths though.. The page I pulled up on bubble bath was very disturbing. He really likes bubble bath and I wonder if there is a safe version somewhere.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." -Edmund Burke (1729-1797)
#8 of 8 Old 11-11-2012, 06:16 AM

I don't use soap either and neither do the kids unless they're seriously greasy/grimy - and that doesn't happen too often.  I don't think an infrequent bubble bath is too harmful as a treat, but I too wonder if there are "safer" brands.

You don't typically have to tell a girl not to soap up inside her vagina... I imagine it's similar with penises.  Don't even put the thought in their head imo.

Tags
Circumcision

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page