M*A*S*H* circumcision episode - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 11-11-2012, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I just watched an old episode of MASH in which a young mother wanted her baby boy (looked about 3-4 months old) circumcised for religious reasons.

Someone mentioned that it was just an "elective" procedure, but it was in the context of wasting military resources I believe.

The priest on site who agreed to attend the ceremony stressed to the mother "don't worry about the circumcision...I have many friends with them!"   :( 

Ethics weren't mentioned.

At the end of the episode, the procedure was performed with the beautiful wide-eyed baby staring peacefully forward, never so much as flinching or wimpering the entire time.  He didn't make a noise except for a few happy sounds.  The adults in the room were joyful and afterward the doctor was patted on the back for the "good job" he did.

Ugggh.  I hate that people can watch this episode and have their misconceptions on circumcision pain to be reinforced.

:(

Loving mother, Devoted Wife
#2 of 6 Old 11-11-2012, 08:42 PM

MASH addressed many issues throughout it's run. It's true that circumcision was not one of them. It wasn't being challenged at the time MASH was being filmed. I bet that the folks involved would handle circumcision differently, now. It is a shame that they can't have the chance to redo the episode.
#3 of 6 Old 11-12-2012, 10:31 AM

yeah, consider the context. that episode is, what, 30 years old? 

MY bet would be that they were all congratulating each other for being willing to do it for "religious reasons" (ie, Jewish) and that they were being "so open minded" to allow that on the air back in the 1970s.

but what do i know.

i would be much more concerned about portrayal in a new episode of a modern TV show.

---------------

which sorta raises the question: why DON'T modern shows go ahead and take on this issue? ie, Greys Anatomy, which loves to show made up medical extremes, could tackle an infant circumcision gone wrong. if it's true that California has low circ. rates, and Hollywood people themselves don't do circs of their own babies... why is this issue NOT getting the coverage it deserves??

#4 of 6 Old 11-12-2012, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicana View Post

...which sorta raises the question: why DON'T modern shows go ahead and take on this issue? ie, Greys Anatomy, which loves to show made up medical extremes, could tackle an infant circumcision gone wrong. if it's true that California has low circ. rates, and Hollywood people themselves don't do circs of their own babies... why is this issue NOT getting the coverage it deserves??

It's getting plenty of coverage. It's almost obligatory for TV shows to devote at least part of an episode to circumcision sooner or later. It's just the wrong kind of coverage. The messages are that circumcision is beneficial, painless, trivial, funny, and more of an issue for the parents than the baby. Here's a paper about it: http://www.circumstitions.com/tv-thatthing.html

"The League" has a circumcision going wrong, but you could hardly say it tackles the issue. Even that is treated as a joke. And while some Hollywood people (notably Jemima Kirke, whose baby is due today) are against circumcision, others (Rosie O'Donnell) will throw a party to circumcise even an adopted baby.

#5 of 6 Old 11-14-2012, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter

Have you guys watched the movie "What to Expect When you're Expecting?"

**Spoiler alert if you haven't and plan to rent it.**

First of all, it was pretty lame IMO.  Spoon fed and simple.  Lam-o.  lol

Cameron Diaz was pregnant and learned she was having a boy.  She was at the doctor's, in the waiting area, and she saw a pamphlet on infant circumcision.  She said "Oh, we need to learn about this..."  The boyfriend scoffed and asked "What's there's to learn about?  We're getting him circumcised..."

(I'm paraphrasing from memory here)

Nurse walks by: "Many parents are choosing not to circumcise these days!"

I was glad to here that little tidbit.  Maybe some parents heard that and decided to research it more.

Anyway, Cameron Diaz and her BF argued the entire pregnancy about circumcision.  She didn't want to "mutilate" her son (her words I believe) and he insisted that it was the normal thing to do.  I got the feeling that Cameron Diaz's character was being made out to be kind of nutty about the issue, even though everything she said was right on.

Later, as Cameron was in dramatic labor (of course) being wheeled in to the delivery room screaming in pain, she proclaimed to the boyfriend "I don't care about his penis anymore!  I just want this baby out!"  leaving viewers to believe they would ultimately circumcise, since the bf never did give an inch on the topic.

Well she had a freaking girl and so the baby was saved.

I was not impressed.

Loving mother, Devoted Wife
#6 of 6 Old 11-15-2012, 03:31 PM

Here's an older thread about the "What To Expect" movie.

http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1352753/cameron-diaz-appearing-on-jimmy-fallon

Tags
Circumcision

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page