Who peforms circumcisions? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 11-11-2012, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I know urologists do, but do any other doctors perform circumcisions?

Also, my husband is considering a vasectomy soon, and we'd prefer to not use a doctor who is so unethical as to routinely circumcise infants.  Any tips for us?

Loving mother, Devoted Wife
#2 of 9 Old 11-14-2012, 06:47 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

My understanding is the most of the time, obs perform circ's.  Doesn't make sense since they are surgeons who are supposed to deal w/ women.  I think there are also Peds who do it.

Sus

Baby the babies while they're babies so they don't need babying for a lifetime.
#3 of 9 Old 11-14-2012, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama24-7 View Post

My understanding is the most of the time, obs perform circ's.  Doesn't make sense since they are surgeons who are supposed to deal w/ women.  I think there are also Peds who do it.

I'm very familiar with two large healthcare systems.  In both, pediatricians and urologists are the only ones who do circumcisions.  In these systems, OBs stopped doing the circumcisions back in the 1960s.  It may be different in other areas of the country/world, but around here no OB would even consider doing a circumcision.

#4 of 9 Old 11-14-2012, 07:21 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mama24-7 View Post

Sus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnra View Post

I'm very familiar with two large healthcare systems.  In both, pediatricians and urologists are the only ones who do circumcisions.  In these systems, OBs stopped doing the circumcisions back in the 1960s.  It may be different in other areas of the country/world, but around here no OB would even consider doing a circumcision.

I'm sorry, I should have stated where I am.  I'm in the northeast of the US.  I believe here it is mostly OBs.  

Sus

Baby the babies while they're babies so they don't need babying for a lifetime.
#5 of 9 Old 11-14-2012, 07:24 AM

OBs, pediatricians and urologists are all trained to do them. Whether or not they actually perform them on a regular basis likely depends on the hospital that they have privileges at. BTW, urologists in general do NOT do RIC. They would only be seeing someone if there was a problem.
Quote:
Any tips for us?

Freudian slip? Sorry, bad joke.
#6 of 9 Old 11-14-2012, 07:47 AM

In my area, OBs cut newborns in the hospital.  If the surgery doesn't take place in the hospital before the newborn is released, urologists do it.  Urologists do perform RIC here, if for any reason the parents choose to cut but choose to wait until after leaving the hospital.  I don't know of any pediatricians around my area that will do it.

For your husband, if you find a urologist who specializes in vasectomies, you may have less chance of them performing RIC, although I'm not sure if there are any in my area that would actually refuse to perform the ritual.

#7 of 9 Old 11-14-2012, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildKingdom View Post

OBs, pediatricians and urologists are all trained to do them. Whether or not they actually perform them on a regular basis likely depends on the hospital that they have privileges at. BTW, urologists in general do NOT do RIC. They would only be seeing someone if there was a problem.
Freudian slip? Sorry, bad joke.

lol  nah...:)

Loving mother, Devoted Wife
#8 of 9 Old 11-20-2012, 09:08 AM

I'm in the Northeast, too. When I had DS, the neonatologist (who was against RIC) was saying that one of the reasons rates are lower on the west coast is because over here OBs do it, while over there it is done by pediatricians. He said that pediatricians are less likely to want to perform them. Not sure if this is true or not, but its an interesting idea

SAHM to DD1 9/18/08 DS 6/11/10 DD2 6/21/12 nocirc.gifcd.gifgreenthumb.gifhang.gif 

#9 of 9 Old 11-27-2012, 02:11 AM

It seems to be mostly pediatricians around here.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  

Tags
Circumcision

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page