Was my newborn retracted? Please advise - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 12-31-2012, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My last two boys were home water births who never left my side, and who are intact.

A few months ago I had a preemie who spent time in the NICU, and I was not able to be with him 24/7. 

He was born about 3.5 months ago (at 29 weeks along), and would be a month old now if he had been born on his due date.

I noticed yesterday that his foreskin retracts enough (very, very easily) that I can see half or more of the glands. 

Does this mean they probably forcibly retracted him in the NICU?

Or is that normal for a newborn?

What should I be doing for his care then at this point?

I am concerned about scaring, adhesions, etc. 

Thank you so much for any help.

edited to add: 

i tried to cross post this in 'ask the experts' several times, and it wouldn't post. 

#2 of 3 Old 12-31-2012, 09:25 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)

It's a little early to retract, but who knows? It could just be doing that on its own... you could call the hospital and ask what their policy is.

#3 of 3 Old 01-02-2013, 06:04 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

There is great variation on when an individual retracts.  My guess is that they did not retract him, he is just one of the ones who is ready to retract earlier than others.  I doubt that they would be worrying about retracting if he was premature, they have more important things to worry about.

Even if they did, and did what you did, it is unlikely to cause harm.  But you should not do that either, only your son should retract himself.  Simply because there is no need for us to know if he can retract at this point, so no need to risk injury.

Regards

Tags
Circumcision

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page