My intact 11 yo..... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 03-15-2013, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My ds is intact, and hasn't had a bath(as in soaking bath) for a lonngg time. He's only wanted to take showers for months now-maybe even a year?

This probably seems bad, but I keep forgetting to remind dh to talk to ds about keeping himself clean.

Further, other than his chiro appts. or occasional urgent care visits, he's not had a check-up for maybe 2 yrs?? Therefore, no one has seen him to be sure everything is just fine. I mean, when he was younger, I was *always* on top of this sort of thing, but as he got older, I've neglected this aspect of his care.

Should I be worried or concerned, as in, dh needs to check on him or I need to get him in for a check-up?

Thanks for any help!

page

#2 of 13 Old 03-15-2013, 08:51 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)

Usually, it's that age where you just tell him if there's a problem, he should come to you. There probably isn't a problem so nothing has come up!

As for keeping himself clean, you can give him a little puberty talk about that! Soon he's going to grow extra hair and be a little extra smelly everywhere. You can have the awkward smelly teenager talk with him, and include penis care in that.

JenVose likes this.
#3 of 13 Old 03-15-2013, 09:16 PM - Thread Starter

Well, okay then. I was thinking if there had been any difference or problem/issue, that he'd tell us.

I'll leave the smelly, puberty talk to dh, but I'll pick up some books about his changing body, for good measure. wink1.gif

Thanks! And if anyone else has something to add, I'm all ears.

page

#4 of 13 Old 03-15-2013, 09:38 PM

Please, take him for a well child visit.  Many 11 year old are not good discussing things that are not right. This is the start of the "embarrassment age".

A good pediatrician will also provide a sensitive puberty talk and recommend books to both of you.

#5 of 13 Old 03-16-2013, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter

Well, my dc never had the "normal" well-child visits to the dr, because I knew they were already "well." wink1.gif  It's been years since I last visited a ped, and ever since, I've been in search for just a GP I can tolerate.

Our ds is very introverted, so I highly doubt he would be open to such a discussion with someone new.

Okay-now I'm back to being worried. Or, anxious is probably the right word.

Kicking myself for not addressing this even a year ago. banghead.gif

Well, thanks again, and if anyone has anything to add, I'm all ears.

page

#6 of 13 Old 03-16-2013, 01:39 PM

All the more reason to find a good calm pedi now before the puberty. yelp.com reviews can be very helpfull . Healthgrades.com as well.

I actually thought all was well until we came for well visit at 13. Some boys have easier time talking to male doctors than mothers

#7 of 13 Old 03-16-2013, 05:04 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alenushka View Post

All the more reason to find a good calm pedi now before the puberty. yelp.com reviews can be very helpfull . Healthgrades.com as well.

I actually thought all was well until we came for well visit at 13. Some boys have easier time talking to male doctors than mothers

I believe that you mean well, winky.gif but this post seems very fear based.  SUre having a good doctor (whether they be a ped or something else) is a good thing, but if mama can't find one, why pressure her?  It's not like she's blowing it off saying she's just not interested in doctors.  shrug.gif

I'm sorry to hear your ds had an issue.  His experience does not dictate every other 11 will-be-13 yo boy's experience however.  I think it is the rare child who will share with someone who is virtually a stranger, that there is a problem vs. a parent or someone else that they are close to.  I do hope his issue was taken care of quickly & he's suffered no consequences from it.

peace.gif

Best wishes,

Sus

Baby the babies while they're babies so they don't need babying for a lifetime.
#8 of 13 Old 03-19-2013, 10:24 AM

An intact penis is a self cleaning organ.  How many people have a talk with their DDs about cleaning the genitalia (as opposed to menstruation).  Not many I think.

This North American preoccupation with cleaning under foreskins is what causes most problems because it destroys the natural balance in the preputial cavity where Langerhan's cells produce anti bacterial substances.

JenVose likes this.
#9 of 13 Old 03-22-2013, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakunangovi View Post

An intact penis is a self cleaning organ.  How many people have a talk with their DDs about cleaning the genitalia (as opposed to menstruation).  Not many I think.

This North American preoccupation with cleaning under foreskins is what causes most problems because it destroys the natural balance in the preputial cavity where Langerhan's cells produce anti bacterial substances.

You make a very good, valid point, in addition to it being plain common sense.

I didn't realize my concerns were a "North American" preoccupation. Not sure why exactly I felt the need to even ask; perhaps because years ago when my dc were quite young, I'd read some nasty stories about "what if" situations.

Never hurts to ask, and I appreciate your educational reply. wink1.gif

#10 of 13 Old 03-22-2013, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1pageatatime View Post

You make a very good, valid point, in addition to it being plain common sense.

I didn't realize my concerns were a "North American" preoccupation. Not sure why exactly I felt the need to even ask; perhaps because years ago when my dc were quite young, I'd read some nasty stories about "what if" situations.

Never hurts to ask, and I appreciate your educational reply. wink1.gif

I think it's just an "American" preoccupation smile.gif

When I read things here, I always ask my dad... he's the only one who will answer any of my new penis-related questions lol ...he keeps asking me "where are you getting these questions? whose penis are you obsessed with? just leave it alone!!ROTFLMAO.gif

JenVose likes this.
#11 of 13 Old 03-24-2013, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escaping View Post

I think it's just an "American" preoccupation smile.gif

When I read things here, I always ask my dad... he's the only one who will answer any of my new penis-related questions lol ...he keeps asking me "where are you getting these questions? whose penis are you obsessed with? just leave it alone!!ROTFLMAO.gif

I think your Dad rocks! Plain old common sense to the rescue, I'll be filing this away for the future as my sons are still quite small :-)

DS1 is seven, and I don't think I've seen his penis in a few years. He urinates easily and seems fine, so I'll call it good.

DS2 is four, and is starting to retract so I get the daily play-by-play of "what my penis can do". Again, no pain so I'm not worried.

I think when they're older a general "you need to make sure you wash your 'stinky parts'" will do and I'll let them decide what stinks--to a point :-)

#12 of 13 Old 05-22-2013, 07:20 PM

Yes, we have never given our 12 year old son any specific instructions about cleaning himself. I never did anything about his foreskin when I bathed him when he was younger. Haven't seen him naked in years. No problems.
#13 of 13 Old 06-18-2013, 01:54 PM

Also, I'd think in such a sensitive area, it would be somewhat obvious if further attention were needed - if there was an infection building, it would lead to irritation, increased fondling, etc.

Tags
Circumcision

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page