3 yo sudden onset of painful urination- referred to urologist, need help - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 03-20-2013, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My son is nearly 4 and never any problems with his uncirced penis.  Today he started SCREAMING when he peed, he has been SCREAMING and crying each time he has to pee.  He is a very tough little guy so its out of character for him and I know he is really hurting.  I took him straight to the walk-in and they tested for infection, which was negative.  The on-call doctor looked and just checked the tip basically and said that the foreskin looks very tight and there may be a little fluid building up there "He may need to be circumsized anyway".  So he referred us to a urologist and prescribed a topical numbing ointment.

I live in a little rural town and I think everyone circs here, all the OBs recommend it, forcefully.  I am terrified that the urologist will forcefully retract my son and be very aggressive about circumcision (again it is money in his pocket why not).

I have tried to read up about this but I can't find a lot of reliable information. This may even be part of the regular retraction process, but I don't know much about the natural retraction process.  Any help or advice or even just explanation would be very helpful!

Book lovin librarian nerd mama to Caleb 6/06 and Aiden 4/09: and 1 angel 11/07. "No one cries alone in my presence."
#2 of 7 Old 03-20-2013, 05:29 PM

Our boys are uncircumcised and we have not experienced what you describe. 

When you go to the urologist, I would ask him to be very gentle and to discuss what he thinks with you before doing anything. If he recommends circumcision, ask who you can go to for a second opinion.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#3 of 7 Old 03-21-2013, 12:15 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

I have two intact sons (& one intact daughter).  None of them has ever had anything like what you're describing but that doesn't mean what you have is an emergency.  It could be separation, yeast or bacteria causing the issue.  If it's separation, I've read here about having the boy pee in a cup of warm water w/ their penis submerged.  If it's yeast, probiotics both orally & applied to the area may help.  If it's bacteria, the same probiotics may help.  

You said he's been doing this each time he has to pee.  How many times is that?  The last two before you posted or for a longer stretch/ What's he doing now?  I've read when it's separation issues, it can take a couple of days.  While the skin is unattaching, the part that is newly separated can sting, or so I've read.

You said they tested for infection, do you know what kind?  We can have bacterial and/or fungal infections.

You seem worried about going to see another doctor.  IT's not uncommon for doctors (& other medpros as well) who have not chosen to educate themselves as to the form, function, purpose & normal development of intact genitals to recommend cutting off the parts with which they are not familiar.  That is likely the only thing they've learned to do w/ intact genitals!  Depending on how your son is now would determine for me, if iti was me, what I would do.

If you do decide to go to another doctor, I'd recommend a strict hands-off approach from them.  You can tell them they are not to retract or touch it & that you will be the one doing the moving of any parts if they want it moved.  I've read too many stories over the last few days of doctors retracting.  And, since you live in a high circ area, unless you get a doctor that is not American, & even if you do, they may not know to leave it alone or have some valid-to-them reason to retract.  

Lastly, you could pose the question to the doctors of what they'd do w/ a girl child in these circumstances.  If they wouldn't recommend circ for a girl, then you're not willing to entertain the idea for your boy.

Best wishes.  It is hard to know what to do when your child is hurting & those you should be able to go to for advice are terribly biased & mostly unhelpful.

Sus

Baby the babies while they're babies so they don't need babying for a lifetime.
#4 of 7 Old 03-21-2013, 04:38 PM

Is he potty trained, or in diapers? Have you tried a warm epsom bath?

#5 of 7 Old 03-21-2013, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your help! I have found some reasonable information in past posts here, from doctor momma, and peaceful parenting so I am calmer! I think you are right, it could be normal retraction occurring, or a yeast or bacterial infection. They tested his urine only, no swan so I don't think it was for anything other than what would indicate a UTI.

There was a little dried blood at the end today. I am applying a dab of bacitracin, and myconizol just at the tip. He did better today but is still fussing and saying it hurts to pee, I think he's holding it. It's better when he's in the bath. I'm doing morning and evening bath with no soap, just Epsom salt and baking soda.

He is potty trained, no diapers or pull ups.

Book lovin librarian nerd mama to Caleb 6/06 and Aiden 4/09: and 1 angel 11/07. "No one cries alone in my presence."
#6 of 7 Old 03-21-2013, 07:41 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherweh View Post

Thank you for your help! I have found some reasonable information in past posts here, from doctor momma, and peaceful parenting so I am calmer! I think you are right, it could be normal retraction occurring, or a yeast or bacterial infection. They tested his urine only, no swan so I don't think it was for anything other than what would indicate a UTI.

There was a little dried blood at the end today. I am applying a dab of bacitracin, and myconizol just at the tip. He did better today but is still fussing and saying it hurts to pee, I think he's holding it. It's better when he's in the bath. I'm doing morning and evening bath with no soap, just Epsom salt and baking soda.

He is potty trained, no diapers or pull ups.

I believe this is the generic of neosporin, right?  If so or if it's an antibacterial like that, I'd encourage you to read the package carefully & consult the website &/or call the company.  I've read here that neosporin should not be used on the genitals.

If you are nursing, breastmilk may be healing for it.  Unfortunately, if it's yeast, it may exacerbate that.  Probiotics applied topically would help in either case.

Best wishes,

Sus

Baby the babies while they're babies so they don't need babying for a lifetime.
#7 of 7 Old 03-28-2013, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherweh View Post

The on-call doctor looked and just checked the tip basically and said that the foreskin looks very tight and there may be a little fluid building up there "He may need to be circumsized anyway".  So he referred us to a urologist and prescribed a topical numbing ointment.

That the doctor would even make a statement like this about a pre-pubertal boy says volumes about how little he knows about the development of a normal, intact penis.  Pretty well all little boys have a tight foreskin.  It is supposed to be like that to keep contaminants out.  The average age of retraction (in cultures not obsessed with retraction and cleaning) is 10 1/2 and many boys do not achive retractability until well after puberty.  The releasing of the synechia and loosening of the preputial sphincter occur as a result of hormones.

By the way, just to put your mind at ease, a tight foreskin virtualy never needs be amputated. There are a myriad of far less invasive treatments available, from the application of betamethasone cream and stretching to preputioplasty (which involves minor surgery, but no removal of tissue).

See:   www.cirp.org/library/treatment/phimosis

www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2490/8/6

Tags
Circumcision

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page