Can babies in foster care/ state custody be circed? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 04-16-2013, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I work with a peds population where some of the babies that come to us were in CPS custody from the time they were born. And yet some of them are circed, others not. I wonder how this happens?? I do know that sometimes there are cases where the birth mom can sign consent and visit the baby but just not take the baby home and have custody. Other times though, the birth parents are not involved at all and they have not yet been placed into foster care, and they are still circed.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#2 of 10 Old 04-16-2013, 04:00 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I wonder why that would happen, and who is paying the cost of the operation if the parents aren't relinquishing custody.  Would state medical insurance pay for a circumcision in that case?

#3 of 10 Old 04-18-2013, 05:44 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

SInce circ is considered medically valid by mainstream society, I don't see why not.  Sad, but true.

Sus

Baby the babies while they're babies so they don't need babying for a lifetime.
#4 of 10 Old 04-20-2013, 01:49 PM

I think it depends on the situation. Sometimes, "all rights" are signed away. I've heard of cases where you can write "DO NOT CIRCUMCISE" in the agreement. In these cases, the birth parents would have to agree to it.

#5 of 10 Old 04-21-2013, 01:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The birth parents can still make that decision for the baby even if custody has been taken away.

Elizabeth - Doing life with Scott partners.gif

SAHM to Evelyn - my crazy little Celiac (4) energy.gif Annabelle (2)  love.gif and Abraham (born 6/20) buddamomimg1.png
adoptionheart-1.gif  Follow our journey  mdcblog5.gif

#6 of 10 Old 04-21-2013, 03:19 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

When I was guardian of my little sister, she ended up spending some time in care (I was just 18yo and had a newborn, it took me a while to figure things out!).  The family she was with cut her hair.  I don't mean they took her to a salon, I mean they hacked her hair off in their kitchen.  I advised the worker that no one was to cut her hair without my express consent and they agreed immediately.  You would think that similar informed consent would be needed for a more involved cosmetic procedure such as foreskin removal!

Bring back the old MDC
#7 of 10 Old 04-22-2013, 01:34 PM

My sister gave her first son up, and before that happened she had him circ'd. The hospital called DHS while they were still in the hospital.

Living a life like no one else, with my husband, and all our children
#8 of 10 Old 04-22-2013, 11:19 PM

I was in a different forum where people were saying the Medicaid no longer covers circ.? I don't know if that is everywhere or state regulated... I hope we see less and less unnecessary RIC.
#9 of 10 Old 04-23-2013, 08:27 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maos211 View Post

I was in a different forum where people were saying the Medicaid no longer covers circ.? I don't know if that is everywhere or state regulated... I hope we see less and less unnecessary RIC.

Welcome to The Case Against Circumcision!

Some states do not fund circ through medicaid & others do.  I can't remember where it is, but there's a map somewhere of states that do/don't.  I think it was Colorado that recently decided to continue to NOT fund it.  Yay!

Just a quick point - RIC = routine infant circumcision.  Since it's routine, it's never necessary.  The routine part implies that it's just something that's done but it is inherently not necessary.

Best wishes,

Sus

Baby the babies while they're babies so they don't need babying for a lifetime.
#10 of 10 Old 04-23-2013, 08:44 AM

Crunchy mama is right. The parents can usually still make medical decisions (RIC) for the children as their rights are just suspended until final hearings go through. If the state they are in doesn't cover the cost under Medicaid, then they'd either have to pay out of pocket (unlikely!) or perhaps had private insurance covering the child (which does happen...not all babies who become wards of the state have Medicaid primary--one parent may have had health insurance through an employer, and in some (maybe most or all?) the insurance is obligated to cover a newborn for the first 30 days of life even if not formally added to the insurance policy.)

~Mama to my boys~ to a teen, a tween & a toddler and surro-mama to twins and their sister

Livin' in the sticks with my chicks chicken3.gif and lovin' it!

2014:  4/52 projects  0/2014 things 0/52 books

Tags
Circumcision

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page