Who made the circumcision decision for your child? - Page 4 - Mothering Forums
View Poll Results: who made the circumcision ( or not circumcision) decision for your child?
My partner and I both did 201 100.00%
I did 72 100.00%
My partner did 24 100.00%
Family member(s) helped 4 66.67%
the doctor helped with decision 6 100.00%
Other 13 100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 104 Old 05-31-2003, 02:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm so sorry...
#92 of 104 Old 05-31-2003, 03:36 AM

We both made the decision not to circumsize. We didn't discuss it with anyone, not the doctor, our families, or the midwife, other than to let her know we had decided not to.
#93 of 104 Old 05-31-2003, 03:41 AM

Excellent !!
#94 of 104 Old 05-31-2003, 08:40 AM

Well I actually we never disgussed whether it hsould or shouldn't be done..I assumed it wouldn't..One day it came up in convo and d/f said he thinks boys should be done..Well I flew off about it because I can not believe can agree with them removing something from our sons when they are born with it..I put my foot down right then and that was that..I would have booted him out before circ. my sons..
#95 of 104 Old 05-31-2003, 04:03 PM

I suspect the 7 yo had been retracted prematurely and that was what caused his problems. It appears that even though this has been done and there have been infections caused by the retractions and over concern with hygiene that they boys out grow it in most cases between 8 and 12 years old. What a shame that at just the time it was about to be over with, he decided on the surgery.

Frank
#96 of 104 Old 05-31-2003, 11:00 PM

dw and i new not to get it done to ds. i never cared about ds looking like me. i would rather have him make that choice on his own, and i will never put ds through that much pain. a co worker was telling me i was stupid and that my ds would get infections and everyone would laugh at him and he would not be like me. i looked at him and asked if he would laugh. he said maybe, then i ask what the hell would you be doing looking, everyone looked at him and he felt really really stupid and just sat down. then i told him that ds will make everyone feel as bad as he did or worse if anyone laughed at him. i would make sure of it.(i know this is just the tuff dad thing coming out but hey thats dads for ya ) after that i could not beleive how some people can actually say that and believe that. the only way kids would laugh is if thier parents made that issue into an issue. and this guys was one of them. hopefully i shot him up for a little bit. well agian this is my $0.02 adios
#97 of 104 Old 06-01-2003, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Frankly Speaking
I suspect the 7 yo had been retracted prematurely and that was what caused his problems. It appears that even though this has been done and there have been infections caused by the retractions and over concern with hygiene that they boys out grow it in most cases between 8 and 12 years old. What a shame that at just the time it was about to be over with, he decided on the surgery.
Of the world's population only 10 to 15 percent of men are circumcised. The vast majority of whom are Muslim. Thanks to expert medical advice we are now learning not to ever retract because of the problems this can cause by introducing germs directly into the urinary tract, that the foreskin is self-cleansing much like your eyelids, the presence of smegma is not indicative of infection, and that penile surgery is an extreme measure and should be reserved for life-threatening situations.

http://mothering.com/10-0-0/html/10-...rcson103.shtml

http://mothering.com/10-0-0/html/10-...cision85.shtml
#98 of 104 Old 06-05-2003, 02:19 PM

I say we both made the decision,even though dh Billy took a little convincing.He's circed, and has a horrible scar from it. I did tons of research on the internet,and just after seeing one picture I had made up my mind.I couldn't even imagine watching a video,I would be hysterical. When Gabrion had his open heart surgery,the nurses were surprised becuase we were very scared that they would circ him while he was under.(we have heard of this happening) They said they usually get the oposite,parents usually ask them to circ! We were told they do not do that,the child is going through more than enough,they couldn't see putting them through any more pain.This was at Children's Hospital in Boston.

Lisa in RI
SAHM to homeschooled Kasia(who will be 5 2 weeks from today!) ,Gabrion(22 months,unvaxxed,intact,TOF(tetralogy of fallot,congenital heart defect) ,wife to Billy

Student mama to one awesome,talented and unique dd,15 and one amazing, sweet and strong ds,12(born with heart defect Tetralogy of Fallot,also on the autism spectrum),9 cats,and 2 gerbils.
#99 of 104 Old 06-18-2003, 08:35 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Our baby is due next month. DH and I decided that if it's a boy, we will not circumcize...
#100 of 104 Old 06-23-2003, 06:28 PM

I made the decision first and my (former) partner agreed, even though he was circumcised. He was willing to go along with my decision from the get-go, but it took very little research to totally convince him that circumcision was definitely not something we wanted to do to our sons.
#101 of 104 Old 06-25-2003, 01:48 AM

I didn't vote b/c I'm not sure who's decision it really was. I never really thought much about circumcision until I was pregnant and found out it was *probably* a boy. For somewhat religious reasons, I was ok with it, but I didn't really want to do it. The main issue was "who is going to do it?" We had our ds at home, and isn't vaxed, so didn't know how docs handled it, and our midwives weren't helpful. And any book I'd read would say it basically didn't matter either way--whatever the parents thought was right. No mention of risks or anything. Given, I didn't seek out anti-circ lit, but still...

Anyway, I went to meet with the ped and he told me all about circ. and drew pics and all, and it looked like torcher! I didn't want my baby boy to go through that, even though he'd be numbed up. But my dh was unphased when I told him about it.

So long story short, I cried the night before the procedure and MIL comforted me saying it was the right thing to do... It went really well--ds slept through it! And dh was in the room with him. But I sobbed the first time I saw it and couldn't change his diaper for the rest of the day. MIL couldn't understand why I thought it was so unnatural. She asked me where I got that idea from!!

Well, I still regret the decision, and since the postpartum hormones are way gone, I feel calmer about it. I am pretty at peace with it--I won't blame myself for the rest of my life. I'm pregnant again, so I don't know what will happen. I pray I can convince my dh not to do it. He even mentioned the other day that he hopes it's a girl so we don't have to circ--Well, we don't *have* to!

I wish I would have stood my ground more and been more educated about it. But it's the past, and I can't change it! He's a happy, healthy boy, inspite of being circ'ed!
#102 of 104 Old 07-13-2003, 03:47 AM

I wasn't sure how to vote as, like others have already said, there wasn't much of a decision to be made. Oddly enough, I was clued in to this "issue" through the Babycenter discussion boards (before I had heard of MDC) - it's the one time I can recall that my attraction to debate has proved especially helpful, as I was just haphazardly running through their "Great Debates" section. I started researching and after a very few articles determined that circumcision was not an option. I continued to research, anyway - just for kicks I even asked some guys I knew about their experiences. Of course, they were all circumcised and insisted that it was ridiculous not to :. And then there was the brilliant office full of nurses I worked with who all told me that I should go ahead and "get it done" so I wouldn't have to deal with the inconvenience of retracting ds' foreskin every diaper change . (These were the same ladies who told me that I must have an epidural as there was just no way to make it through labor without it - though most of them had never even experienced childbirth as they had their children in the "knock 'em out and wake 'em up when it's over" days. Sorry.... rant over ).

I did all of the research and shared the info with my husband. He was a bit unsure at first but has my never-ending respect as he put his baby before any insecurities he may have had (about addressing differences, that sort of thing) and went along for the ride. He generally does with my parenting decisions, but I've been especially impressed with this one as he's now a true advocate for keeping little boys intact - quite a step for a circumcised man who has self-esteem issues! He even came up with a little speech for our son if the "Why am I different than Daddy" question ever surfaces - chock full of great things about people being more enlightened now and how fortunate our son is to be as nature intended. I'm hoping he'll get a chance to use it as he's put so much thought into it .
#103 of 104 Old 07-21-2003, 11:45 PM

I voted "I did". We did not do any U/S with either of my pregnancies. As I got closer to my due date, I simply stated, "You do know that we will not circumcise, right?" He huffed and puffed on and on about how he wanted any sons to look like him, how it was up to him, since he had a penis, not me... huff and puff, huff and puff...: :
And I said, nope, I would divorce you and move to another country before I would let you or anyone else EVER touch him. And I did not budge. He'd get upset, and I'd freak out at him like a madwoman. No way was I giving in!
Well, number one turned out to be a girl, anyway Number two was a boy, and by that point he had run out of arguments. Now, our best friends just had a boy, and thanks to us, they are as anti-circ as I am! They were originally planning on it, but during a party I went to change my son's diaper and invited everyone in to view the "perfect penis" I gave a lesson on the history of circ., the pain and trauma it entailed, etc. etc... everyone at the party was sold. Geez, if only anti-circ. parties were as popular as Mary Kay and tupperware....
Yup, even though I was 20, I knew what I wanted!
#104 of 104 Old 08-05-2003, 08:32 PM

I voted we both did. I did the research and then sent dh the most descriptive - a web page that actually showed the circ procedure in pictures and had a link to the SOUND of the infant crying. He decided no, we both feel that well its his penis and therefore is his decision. Not ours!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page