• 1 Post By mama24-7
  • 1 Post By vachi73
  • 1 Post By nsmomtobe
  • 1 Post By olimama826

#1 of 15 Old 06-04-2014, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Why would my 9 month old boy get a UTI?!

I took my son to the doctor yesterday after two days of on and off fever. He was getting really miserable and didn't want to nurse. No ear infection, throat was red, but tested negative for strep, so finally did a urine test and he tested positive for a UTI!

I went ahead and am doing antibiotics because I don't want to risk kidney damage or something awful. I'm giving him probiotics also.

Now I am freaking out that maybe he has a serious problem anatomically or something. I've never heard of a baby boy with a UTI! And all of our friends already thought we were weird for leaving him intact and now I'm afraid they'll think they were right. :/

Anyone have experience with a UTI in a baby boy where it turned out to just be a random thing and not something serious?

Thanks from an overly anxious FTM
#2 of 15 Old 06-04-2014, 09:51 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Bumping to see if we can catch some responses. The new website is making it hard for many people to read and post.
Hugs!

The only thing I can think of is dehydration and lots of sugar can lead to UTIs. A friend's daughter got them after eating cake at birthday parties. Bacteria has longer to travel in boys than girls but that does not make boys immune to UTIs.
#3 of 15 Old 06-04-2014, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olimama826 View Post
Anyone have experience with a UTI in a baby boy where it turned out to just be a random thing and not something serious?
Sure. It's not massively common, but it's something I did see when working in paediatrics (and this is in the UK where no-one is normally circed!)

As for the circ thing - well, I don't think he's going to regret not being circed just because he had a UTI as a baby when he was too young to even remember it, but he certainly might regret it if he had been circed and grew up to find he was forever without a body part that he might then decide he wanted. So, still sounds to me like you made the right call on that one (and, no, your friends do not get a vote on your son's foreskin).

Glad the doctor managed to identify the problem, & hope your son is better soon.
#4 of 15 Old 06-04-2014, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you, Good Enough Mum! We are in no way regretting our decision, don't worry! I just feel like we could be giving a bad name to intact boys. All of my friends that know he's intact have said that they have never known of an intact baby, and now the only one they know of has a UTI. Just a bit ironic. :/

ETA: Not that I am telling everyone I meet... some friends knew he was sick and they asked if I figured out what was wrong, so I didn't lie
#5 of 15 Old 06-04-2014, 04:35 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My dd got one a bit older than your ds still no idea why. sometimes these things just happen.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#6 of 15 Old 06-04-2014, 04:58 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
All sorts of things get infected all the time. Ears, throats, eyes, cuts and scrapes, urethras. It's not a big deal, and not something worth a great deal of alarm.
#7 of 15 Old 06-06-2014, 04:11 AM

It is important to remember that a far greater percentage (like 10 times as many) of baby girls will get UTIs...yet no one starts suggesting removing parts of their anatomy. Instead, they accept it and reach for the antibiotics.

Regards
Night_Nurse likes this.
#8 of 15 Old 06-06-2014, 07:12 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I'm sorry to hear you're going through this, especially as a first time mom. (((hugs)))

I know it's hard not to, but try not to worry about what others are thinking about his intactness. It's possible that even if he had been cut, he would have gotten an infection.

You asked why this happens. I've been reading about what makes us healthy for about 10 years now, spurred by my oldest's dairy allergy that I discovered when she was 18 months old. She had the allergy her whole life, but I didn't recognize it as such until then. There is a lot of buzz these days about our microbiota. I'm convinced that much of what we see in intact care "issues," (redness, inflammation, infection, etc.) when retraction isn't to blame, particularly repeated retraction, it's due to lack of normal, healthy flora. We're supposed to be covered both inside & out w/ bacteria & other organisms & when we don't have the right stuff, problems crop up.

You didn't say how he's fed. That effects things. How he was born. That too. What you were fed as a baby, how you were born, what you've eaten through your life, etc. It all matters. This is not to say that there's no hope, it's just that each thing has an impact.

If you are able, you might want to seek out an alternative care provider who can help you to make sure his microbiota is healthy. IF you're nursing and/or expect more children, you might want to see about it for yourself as well.

Best wishes & what a lucky boy you have! Congrats on him & leaving him w/ his whole body!

Sus
Mirzam likes this.

Baby the babies while they're babies so they don't need babying for a lifetime.
#9 of 15 Old 06-08-2014, 06:10 AM

Bubble baths and soapy water baths can cause UTIs in both genders.
#10 of 15 Old 06-10-2014, 07:03 AM

A friend's daughter got them after eating cake at birthday parties. Bacteria has longer to travel in boys than girls but that does not make boys immune to UTIs.
#11 of 15 Old 06-10-2014, 10:43 AM

Hi - quick addition to the great comments above - you didn't mention HOW the lab/doctor obtained a urine sample. If done via "bag catch" (taping or holding a bag around the penis until the baby urinates), there is a reasonable chance that the "bacteria" detected was from his skin (and may even be normal there). If done via a catheter, much less chance of that, but higher risk that the lab/doctor retracted the foreskin. Sigh. Win some, lose some, right?

Anyway, if your son seems much better from the ABX, I wouldn't sweat it -- these things DO sometimes happen! Thank goodness for antibiotics.

And you made the right choice to leave him intact!!

Hope you are BOTH feeling better.
Night_Nurse likes this.
#12 of 15 Old 06-17-2014, 05:09 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
They do happen, as others have said. Make sure that nobody is retracting the foreskin because that can introduce bacteria. I hope he is feeling better now.
Night_Nurse likes this.

Now mom to a boy born January 2010. 
Cautiously expecting Dec 2014!

12/08 (6 weeks),  1/13 (11 weeks), &  12/13 (9.5 weeks)
#13 of 15 Old 06-18-2014, 03:51 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I'm not sure when it's safe to give them cranberry juice (although, if you're breastfeeding, you could drink it yourself and hopefully he'll get the benefits as well!), but it's really good at fighting UTIs. It may not prevent them, but in the future you could either make it a regular part of his diet or give it to him at the first sign that the UTI might be coming back, it's a good alternative to antibiotics. (no judgement! It sounds like it had gotten pretty bad and you wanted to make sure it was taken care of quickly! And if he has a UTI and the cranberry juice alone isn't working, obviously go back to the doctor for it.)

familybed1.gif homebirth.jpgnocirc.gifmalesling.GIFecbaby2.gif 

Proud Formula Feeder, I support how ALL parents feed their babies. Breast or bottle, formula or breastmilk, and any combination thereof.

Happily married since 4/30/2009  Our first was born 4/23/2013

#14 of 15 Old 06-21-2014, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys! We are now pretty sure it was roseola and not a UTI. :/ His fever broke the next day and he got a rash all over. (As well as having a lot of other roseola symptoms. Red/sore throat and swollen glands on back of neck, etc.) Good to know!
Night_Nurse likes this.
#15 of 15 Old 06-27-2014, 09:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by olimama826 View Post
Thanks guys! We are now pretty sure it was roseola and not a UTI. :/ His fever broke the next day and he got a rash all over. (As well as having a lot of other roseola symptoms. Red/sore throat and swollen glands on back of neck, etc.) Good to know!
Please make sure you let the people/friends who thought it was a UTI know that it wasn't. Otherwise, they might mistakenly associate foreskin with uti.

Mom &  RN   intactivist.gif
Pardon the typos - CWOK (cat walking on keyboard)   signcirc1.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page