Starting the non-circ discussion - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 07-14-2014, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Starting the non-circ discussion

I really don't have any strong feelings about circumcision, but, as the mid-wife pointed out, it really is cosmetic surgery on a 1 day old infant. My first son was circumcised because my husband wanted it. If this pregnancy ends up having a boy, I'd really rather not circumcise him. And, I want to go into the discussion with simple (non-alarmist) information.

Are there any non-judgemental, factual pamplets/articles about uncircumcised care?

Married to one of the last good guys left Jim
Mom to AJ 4/07 and Genevieve 5/09

And then: I'm really, really tired of making angels.

But wait, could it really be true?

The whole story at: www.xerxella.blogspot.com
#2 of 7 Old 07-14-2014, 09:37 PM

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Hey mama
What are you doing over here?
Great question though. I did not circumcise my son because it is cosmetic at this point. I really feel that if it is something he want when he's 20 than he can do it himself. I have also been fortunate to have a few males in my life who were proud to be intact and it helped form my decision.
As far as literature about care? I'm not sure if I understand.
I do have some awesome websites that I can come back with . They are on my laptop. And there is a site of intact friendly doctors as well.
#3 of 7 Old 07-15-2014, 06:58 AM - Thread Starter

I've read what I can and mostly it says, just leave it alone, clean what you can see and that's it. It sounds too easy.

I do have one specific question. So, (a little graphic here) but I remember cleaning AJ after a diaper change and it can be so messy that the poop would be in the creases of his testicles and even in the slight crease at the head of the penis. That stuff would get EVERYWHERE. With my son, I could see and wipe the area. Wouldn't poop get into the tiny opening of the urethra?

I found some sites on my own that are well known sites and they seem to present straight forward answers:

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-li...s/faq-20058327

http://www.webmd.com/children/tc/car...topic-overview

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/e...cle/001917.htm

#4 of 7 Old 07-15-2014, 07:15 AM

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Your right. You just leave it alone. When poop got everywhere I cleaned everywhere but I never retracted the glans. He got red one time slightly on the tip and a little beyond. All I did was soak him in Epsom salts and applied a coconut/ thyme salve I had and it was gone.
Now at three my son is almost fully retractable. He played a lot with his penis at some point in the bath and that definitely helped with the separation.
Yep I have read all those articles and some more. If I can not be lazy, I will go to my lap top and find my file and post okay?

Here is the intact friendly doctor list. There is other stuff on there too. I find that circumcision brings about opinion. It hard to just find fact. It's kinda like when you research global warming and vaccinations, people usually are way to the left and way to the right.
http://www.thewholenetwork.org/intact-friendly-doctors

Last edited by tracyamber; 07-15-2014 at 07:33 AM.
#5 of 7 Old 07-15-2014, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter

I don't think I need anything else. It'll help my husband to know that it's not recommended by anyone these days. And, it'll help him to know that half of babies aren't circed these days. I think he'll come around. He came around easily enough to my non-vax and extended breastfeeding arguments. I'll make him crunchy yet.

#6 of 7 Old 07-16-2014, 12:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
www.nocirc.org has lots of info on intact care - even some printable pamphlets that can be given to others who might end up caring for your little guy.
#7 of 7 Old 07-20-2014, 06:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
By "the slight crease at the head of his penis", I assume you mean his urethral opening? If you did: no, my intact son never got poop there. It is protected by his foreskin.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page