Just found out I'm having a boy, tell me about circumcison... - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 55 Old 02-08-2005, 01:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venice Mamacita
1. Our son's body is his own -- we wouldn't pierce his ears or have him tattooed without his permission, so why on Earth would we remove a part of his body (especially his penis!) without it? We agreed that if he grows up and decides he'd like to be circumcized after all, we'll pay for the surgery.
Let me preface this by saying that I am not being critical at all, just wondering about the thinking here and asking for comment from all.

I've often heard parents say that if their son wanted a circumcision later, they would pay for it and I wonder why.

This seems to me to be a mindset of "This is something I was obligated to do but didn't do and if he wants it later on, I am still obligated to pay for it." Now, my personal opinion is that this should not be done for a teenager because they are subject to too much peer pressure and are not equiped with enough life experience to make such a needless and life long decision and a prudent parent will refuse this until the child becomes an adult and can presumably make the decision from a more rational and informed perspective.

That being the case, would you pay for an adult child to get a tattoo or an ear piercing or breast implants or a circumcision for a daughter? None of these or a circumcision for a son is something that is necessary for the health or well being of the child and a parent has no obligation to do these to a child. I think few parents would agree to any of the procedures except a circumcision for a son. Why is that an exception?

Quote:
Chronic infections are almost always due to bad hygiene, so if you change and bathe your son regularly there's no reason to fear problems fo this sort.
Again, not to dispute you but my experience is that infection has little or nothing to do with hygiene but more often, improper care of an intact child such as forcibly retracting to clean inside the foreskin or an infection of spontaneous generation. I also believe from experience that there are few if any chronic infections that can not be permanently cleared up unless there are underlying factors such as diabetes.

Quote:
Your SIL is terribly misinformed. Foreskin is exactly that -- skin -- and can in no way hurt anyone during intercourse. In addition, being intact can actually enhance a man's pleasure.
And from personal experience and testimony of many women here and at other sites, can also enhance the pleasure of the woman partner.

Frank
#32 of 55 Old 02-08-2005, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2learn
Why do you chose not to?
We had absolutely no reason to have it done to our son! It isn't commonly done in this country (Australia) nowdays either. Great that you are researching!
#33 of 55 Old 02-08-2005, 11:21 AM

Just a note on infection from our experiences--three sons, ages 15, 13, and 11--all intact--never a single infection--and believe me I did nothing special other than not allowing forceful retraction by doctors--one lady doctor did it to my first son--I was extremely angry--but it ended up not affecting him.

The only real discussion I have had with my sons about it was them thanking me for not cutting them--they thought the whole idea of it was weird.

I did a lot of research years ago--just like you are doing. Not cutting seemed the only answer to me. Search your mommy heart and go with the answer you know is right. The best advice I can give to any mommy on any issue is--trust yourself.

And congrats on the son--I loved having boys--until the teen years that is--but that is a whole other issue.

marybeth
#34 of 55 Old 02-08-2005, 01:05 PM

I was in the same boat about 5 months ago when I found out I was having a boy, I did research on the internet and chose NOT too! American Academy of Pediatrics doesn't endorse circumsicion anymore, there is absolutely no medical reason to do so, this was a completely religious practice for Jewish people. I think it goes back to masturbation, losing the sensitive foreskin supposibly would make it less pleasurable to masturbate. Circumsicion is on the decline thankfully. I do not regret my decision one bit. Good luck in your quest for knowledge! ...heather
#35 of 55 Old 02-08-2005, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankly Speaking
To the contrary, it is thought that man is the only specie on earth that has sex for the pure enjoyment of it.
Don't forget about dolphins!! :LOL
http://www.snopes.com/critters/wild/pleasure.htm

DS 8/4/04 "You're my best mommy in the deep blue sea!"
****5****10****15****20****25****30****35****40*
#36 of 55 Old 02-08-2005, 04:37 PM

Sonofagun! I'm going to have to call The Discovery Channel and correct them!

Frank
#37 of 55 Old 02-08-2005, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankly Speaking
I've often heard parents say that if their son wanted a circumcision later, they would pay for it and I wonder why.

This seems to me to be a mindset of "This is something I was obligated to do but didn't do and if he wants it later on, I am still obligated to pay for it." Now, my personal opinion is that this should not be done for a teenager because they are subject to too much peer pressure and are not equiped with enough life experience to make such a needless and life long decision and a prudent parent will refuse this until the child becomes an adult and can presumably make the decision from a more rational and informed perspective.

That being the case, would you pay for an adult child to get a tattoo or an ear piercing or breast implants or a circumcision for a daughter? None of these or a circumcision for a son is something that is necessary for the health or well being of the child and a parent has no obligation to do these to a child. I think few parents would agree to any of the procedures except a circumcision for a son. Why is that an exception?
Hi Frank ~ Really good points, thank you. Initially, we took this stance because we have friends in the Mid-West whose 17-year-old son was struggling with this very issue. Everyone he knew (including his father) was circumcized, and he didn't like being "different," was taunted for it, even. It was a very painful time for him. He's now almost 20 and chose not to have the surgery, but hasn't entirely ruled out the possibility, either.

Unfortunately, where we live it's not unheard of for parents to give plastic surgery (nose jobs, breast implants, etc.) as gifts for bar/bat mitvah or sweet 16 . . . but we certainly wouldn't, so your point re: circ is very well taken.

Quote:
Again, not to dispute you but my experience is that infection has little or nothing to do with hygiene but more often, improper care of an intact child such as forcibly retracting to clean inside the foreskin or an infection of spontaneous generation. I also believe from experience that there are few if any chronic infections that can not be permanently cleared up unless there are underlying factors such as diabetes.
You're absolutely right, and for the sake of brevity I didn't cover many of the other causes of chronic infection already mentioned in other posts. However, in many cases I'm personally aware of, poor hygiene is definitely an issue, and it's common in Western medicine to recommend circumcision when this is the case.

Quote:
And from personal experience and testimony of many women here and at other sites, can also enhance the pleasure of the woman partner.
Another good point, I've heard this as well. Although in my own personal experience I honestly found no difference -- positive or negative -- between an intact and circumcized penis.

Again, thank you -- great food for thought!

Daughter since '68 ~Sister since '72 ~Wife since '97 ~ Mama since DS 5/03& DD 10/08
#38 of 55 Old 02-08-2005, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2learn
Why do you chose not to?
I don't know anyone who has chosen not to. Is it because of the pain?
My SIL asked if we were going to circumcise and I told her I don't know yet. (I need to learn about it, I have no clue about either side)
She then tells me how unhealthy it is to not circumcise and how when he gets married, an uncircumcised penis will hurt the woman during sex?!?!?
Also , most of my friends (Christians) mention, "Well, it's in the Bible"
Anyway, I want to be well informed so where do I start reading about all of this?
I just want to reply to your question. Doctors screwed me up. I had it done when I was 8 or so. Now here I am, 39 and my penis is crooked it's been that way since I was 10. Plus when I urinate it spit's in different directions and drips for a few minutes. I also have a lot of scarring. So if I had children or my partner and I were expecting I would tell her the same thing and hope she would consider it not to be done. I couldn't put my son through what I went through. Have you ever seen a video on how they do it? My girlfriend (She posts as "AnnMarie" on here.) showed me one and it brought tears to my eyes.
#39 of 55 Old 02-08-2005, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessjgh1
If you are interested in a site that compares risks of circing and intactness, here's a good one: http://www.caringforkids.cps.ca/babies/Circumcision.htm
Hey Frank!
Would you look at this for UTI and penile caner statistics?
I know you have looked into these extensively and would like to bounce this one off of you.
#40 of 55 Old 02-08-2005, 10:12 PM

Oh I wanted to add that I am glad that we left our son intact. Probably most significant to me is the belief that nature knows best. But then there is always "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

I hope everyone's response to your question has filled you up with useful information. If there are any other questions, ask away.
#41 of 55 Old 02-08-2005, 11:43 PM

We UP'd, so we didn't know the sex of our baby until he arrived. In the interest of being prepared for anything, I studied up on circumcision. I had been opposed to it anyway--to me, having a science background and a good grasp on evolution, if something is useless it will go away eventually. And over the course of millions of years, all the mammals still have foreskins. Only humans think they should cut it off. As to what purpose the foreskin serves--I learned a lot at www.nocirc.org. I won't attempt to digest it here. You'll just have to read it yourself.

When we were pregnant with our daughter, I asked dh what he thought of circ, his response then was, Why not, so he'll look like me and everyone else. Three years later, I asked him again, and he responded as if I had just suggested we sell our home and move into a cardboard box--No way! Why should we? That's what I wanted to hear.

The fact is, most of the world doesn't circ. And more and more American parents are realizing that circ is not necessary. It offers no health benefits and carries risks that would not exist otherwise. With ordinary care and cleanliness, the uncirc'd penis is no more problematic than your fingernails, plus that foreskin will bring my son a lot of pleasure he wouldn't have without it--both while he's young and just playing with himself and later when he matures sexually.

So, it's a win-win situation for everyone, both now and later!

Gala
#42 of 55 Old 02-09-2005, 02:42 AM

IF you decide to do it you might not want the hospital nursery to do
it... Explore your options by talking to a Mohel (special Rabbi) or
pediatric urologist before you decide who you want to perform the
surgery (that's what I learned from meeting with a pediatric urologist.)
Nothing gross, graphic, or otherwise inflammatory follows, just our
learning process and experience!

I didn't want to do it but didn't feel very strongly about it either
way so I left the decision totally up to DH since quite honestly I
wanted out of the decision making at that point and "I don't have a
penis and so am not qualified" SOOO he decided to circumcise DS
since that's what he's familiar with... DS is not circumcised
though and here's how/why that happened:

We had DS in a birth center (which doesn't do circumcisions) and
went home when he was a few hours old. We had talked to a Mohel who
would happily do it even though we aren't Jewish but we'd have to pay
up front and then be reimbursed by our insurance company and we were
broke so we also called a pediatric urologist at Johns Hopkins (who was
covered by insurance.)

When we saw the urologist he said that yes, he'd do it, but since DS
was (by then) more than a week old it would have to be postponed until
he was 6 months and at that time it would be outpatient surgery under
full anesthesia (which we eventually opted not to do). While we were
meeting with him we asked him about circumcision in general (things
like my great grandfather ended up needing surgery in his 90's because
his foreskin tightened up and the doctors had to catheterize him),
hospital circumcision, and Mohels, and caring for the uncircumcised
penis... and we got the "professional opinions" of the urologist:

As far as complications from foreskin... they are rare and usually only
occur in very elderly patients.
The urologist said about 90% of his circumcision-related practice is
correcting botched circumcisions but he'd never actually needed to
correct a circumcision done by a Mohel. He felt the reason for this is
that in a hospital nursery pretty much anyone can circumcise a baby (a
friend's son was circumcised by the lactation consultant!) regardless of experience! Also apparently circumcision is covered in just one short lesson in medical and nursing schools. Mohels, on the other hand, are well trained and often do hundreds of circumcisions every year.
He felt that the "ring" and "cap" types of passive circumcision which
are available now (DH's nephew was circumcised without a cut using one
of these) were unreliable and seemed to prolong the process rather than
easing it.
We discussed the medical community's stance, STD and cancer studies,
etc. and the urologist still saw no reason for a child to be
circumcised unless it was done as a cultural or religious choice.
He explained that the uncircumcised penis required no extra care and
that an infant's foreskin should never be forcibly retracted (it
detaches and can slip back and forth later in childhood).

Now I am really glad we didn't follow through with the surgery at a
later date. I babysat a neighbor's son who was circumcised at 12
months (at the time of his adoption) and I was even more relieved that
we didn't do it after spending the week of his surgery changing his
diapers... he just looked so raw and uncomfortable for those few days!
After spending time with several newborns who'd been circumcised I can
tell you that they cope much better than older babies do so I urge
expectant couples to do their research and line up their resources well
in advance.
#43 of 55 Old 02-09-2005, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Hey Frank!
Would you look at this for UTI and penile caner statistics?
I know you have looked into these extensively and would like to bounce this one off of you.

They said about UTIs:
Of every 1,000 boys who are circumcised: 2 will be admitted to hospital for a urinary tract infection (UTI) before they are one year old.

And
Of every 1,000 boys who are not circumcised: 7 will be admitted to hospital for a UTI before they are one year old.

They didn’t give the study so it is hard to see how they arrived at those numbers but the numbers are so incredibly low that it is clear that circumcision is not an effective preventative prophylactic for urinary tract infections. The other complications clearly outnumber the UTIs that required hospitalization and some of those were far more dangerous. With the numbers this low, you have to seriously consider all confounding factors and that is difficult at best.

In the full report I linked to, they did mention Wiswell and cast some aspersions on his research but it did appear that they included his results in with the other studies. I suspect they somehow averaged all of the studies to come up with these numbers.

About penile cancer, they said:

“Circumcision slightly lowers the risk of developing cancer of the penis in later life. However, this form of cancer is very rare. One of every one million men who are circumcised will develop cancer of the penis each year. By comparison, 3 of every one million men who are not circumcised will develop penile cancer each year.”

This is a lower rate for both circumcised and intact than any research I have seen before but the ratio is about the same as that used by most American medical professionals. That is, about 3 to 1. Maybe Canada has a much lower penile cancer rate than America but I doubt it. Of all of the nations of the world, I can’t imagine two that are more alike and with that similarity, it could be expected that the penile cancer rate would be the same. Even at the higher rate, few hospitals and even fewer doctors will ever see a case of penile cancer. I ran some calculations once and figured that in a city of 50,000 and all of the men intact, statistically, they could expect to see a case of penile cancer once every 156 years. Using the CPS statistics, it would be one case every 468 years. Either way, generations of doctors would pass before a case would statistically be seen.

Frank
#44 of 55 Old 02-09-2005, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maguire708
He felt that the "ring" and "cap" types of passive circumcision which are available now (DH's nephew was circumcised without a cut using one of these) were unreliable and seemed to prolong the process rather than easing it.

There seems to be a misconception going around that there are certain types of the procedure that does not require cutting of the penis. With the exception of the TaraClamp that is not available in the US, there is no procedure that does not require cutting the penis. I assume when you say the "ring" and "cap," you are talking about the Gomco and Plasitbel methods and both of those require just as much cutting as any other type. As a matter of fact, I have never heard of a "passive" circumcision procedure with the possible exception of the TaraClamp which is only used in third world countries and is intended to be used in areas where there are no medical facilities. The TaraClamp is also for use on boys who are retractile which means much older than infants. If the TaraClamp is used on infants, cutting is required.

Regardless of what someone has told you, there is no passive circumcision and there is no circumcision procedure in the US that does not require cutting.

Quote:
The urologist said about 90% of his circumcision-related practice is
correcting botched circumcisions but he'd never actually needed to
correct a circumcision done by a Mohel.
Actually, most circumcisions are done by the doctor that is in charge of the mother and in the vast majority of cases, he/she has extensive experience. Using a mohel is no guarantee of a successful procedure and most mohels will not perform a non-ritual procedure. Recently, we had a thread where 10 boys were infected with the herpes simplex virus by the mohel that circumcised them and then about 3 months later, there were three more and one of those boys died from the infection. Also, remember that mohels are not medical professionals and if there is an unexpected outcome such as hemorraghing, heart stoppage or respiration difficulties, there may be no help close by and he could die before he could be taken to an emergency room. Also, please understand that if there are problems, since mohels are not medical professionals, they can not obtain malpractice insurance and you are on your own if there are problems. You may not be able to collect one red cent for hospitalization or burial arraingements.

Frank
#45 of 55 Old 02-09-2005, 12:33 PM

I just shared what we learned from our conversation with a pediatric urologist at one of the country's leading hospitals, I never meant to imply that there were any guaranties about *anything* in life, or to suggest that there was a "better" way to go, I just want the OP to research this thoroughly and consider all of the options available if she thinks that she might want to circ.
#46 of 55 Old 02-09-2005, 01:12 PM

On my expecting club I tried to include a bit of information in case people decided to circ- and many of them did. I would just encourage a parent considering circing to research the pain relief methods. I would use the AAP's recommendations and demand pain prevention and relief for my child.

From what I understand Mohels usually don't use any. I never made it to that stage, so I never ended up finding out, since we decided not to circ.

Then there are hospitals that use one consent form for all their doctors- the form implies that there is use of pain relief but each doctor is different- so parents need to make sure that thier doctor does, in fact, use pain relief.

After having my son I foudn a good deal of other things I wish I had known about. Most of this was from parents on my expecting club who foudn out the hard way- they had their son circed and didn't like the results.

For example, different doctors perform differnt variations of a 'circ'. From removing a lot of skin, to being a little more conservative and leaving skin for the boy to 'grow into' to try to avoid the circ being to tight, to a 'loose' circ, leaving even more skin. Sometimes parents are surprised by this, because the results may look more like and 'intact' penis than one that is cut. Sometimes parents are surprised that there is loose skin. Some parents so much so that they consider a second circ.

Currently there is a debate whether the best thing to do with the loose skin and the problem of adhesions (this seems to be quite common). One thought is to leave it alone and it will be fine and seperate just as the foreskin does on an intact boy. One thought is that the parent needs to keep the skin from trying to heal (lift/rip the skin up at every diaper change and apply vaseline to keep it from sticking). Unfortunatly this is very uncomfortable for ds and may need to be done for weeks. Especially since it may adhear overnight )-:

Sorry to be so graphic, but if the medical community actually TOLD parents about these common things, parents would be able to make better decisions. It is sad to read about parents who choose to have their son circed and then regret it and wish they had known more. Many get very upset because they are not given good information about care when they leave the hospital.

Hope this helps- it is much easier to care for the intact penis- no worries, no adhesions, no retracting, no wound, no pain relief worries, and you don't have to decide how your son is going to 'look', something I feel pretty uncomfortable about.

Jessica

Jessica..lady.gifintactlact.gif Falling in love all over again..... 
Dhprivateeyes.gif, Joshua rolleyes.gif Rebeccagrouphug.gifand dog2.gif.    candle.gif for Laura
#47 of 55 Old 02-09-2005, 02:06 PM

Quote:
I would use the AAP's recommendations and demand pain prevention and relief for my child.

From what I understand Mohels usually don't use any.
Only if the mohel is also an M.D., otherwise, lidocaine and other pain relief methods are controlled substances and can only be prescribed by a medical professional. Few OB/GYNs and pediatricians are also mohels so the vast majority of ritual circumcisions are performed with no pain relief at all.

Quote:
Currently there is a debate whether the best thing to do with the loose skin and the problem of adhesions (this seems to be quite common). One thought is to leave it alone and it will be fine and seperate just as the foreskin does on an intact boy. One thought is that the parent needs to keep the skin from trying to heal (lift/rip the skin up at every diaper change and apply vaseline to keep it from sticking). Unfortunatly this is very uncomfortable for ds and may need to be done for weeks. Especially since it may adhear overnight )-:
Yes, adhesions have become quite common. However, the debate is over. The guidelines published by the AAP clearly state that no attempts should be made to resolve these adhesions unless the circumcision scar line is involved. I have known of mothers who have battled these adhesions for years, not just weeks or months. The foreskin can readhere in a matter of hours and each time the foreskin is pulled back, it is like re-opening a wound. No doubt it is painful to the child. I often wonder what psychological effect this can have on the child. Most people would clearly understand why painful manipulations of a girl's genitals could have a psychological effect on her that could last well into adulthood or even for a full lifetime but for boys, they certainly don't have this same concern. Males are expected to "Just get over it!"

Frank
#48 of 55 Old 02-09-2005, 03:45 PM

BTW, to original poster, sorry this is a little off your topic, but I keep getting interested by the responses. As your username implies, I'm eager to learn more, too. I hope you come back and post, and let us know what questions you have, or what you are finding helpful (or not helpful). - Jessica

Frank,
There are many doctors and vocal circ supporters who do not inform parents of the AAP's recommendation- and advise parents to 'be vigilant' at every diaper change. I wasn't really aware the AAP had a statement. I can think of a board off site where a person (not a doctor) continually recommends for parents to retract any adhesions. I will look for the specific AAP recommendatoins and post it on that board. I get frustrated that he 'acts' like a doctor in all his 'advice' and recommendations. I feel so bad for the boys and the parents who voice that they don't want to hurt their child. Some of them have been receptive to other arguments and have decided to leave their son be and even been angry at the LACK of information they were given when asked about circumcision. Others don't question this person and probably follow his advice.

I get so frustrated every time I search AAP, because to find info on intactness you have to search for circumcision. I noticed they changed some stuff around recently and wasn't able to find some of the information I had found in the past.

(I just tried to search again, some of the links to circ policy are broken, and I can't find the adhesion info-- could you point me in the right direction).

I've just been doing 'this' for about a year (about 3 months before my son was born till now), so it has been a mishmash of searching and learning. I just have been trying to find information as I've noticed the need, for example, learning about some of the problems circing parents have had on the expecting club I'm trying to wean myself from. I certainly appreciate the knowledge I've already gained since I've been reading the threads here the last week or so. Thanks for verifying some of the assumptions, hunches, or information I've been gathering.

BTW, my dh (Jewish) and I had still not come to a conclusion on what we were goign to do after his birth. It was left at one point that if dh insisted he would have to make all the arrangements and be darn sure that whoever did it followed the aap guidelines (he was in agreement about avoiding pain). I also mentioned that he would have to change a lot of diapers. I knew he'd probably not call- and if he did he would not find a mohel that used pain relief easily. Still I cried so hard after I said that and dh was out of sight. Then I held my son and cried and decided that even if he did do all that I would go back on my words and protect my son. I just knew if I 'gave in' I would be a mess every time I saw my son.

It is shameful that so many doctors and Mohels can ignore AAP guidelines, in my opinion. What, if any, are the repercussions (sp?) for US doctors ignoring AAP guidelines? Anyone know?

Sorry, this is so rambly.

Jessica

Dhprivateeyes.gif, Joshua rolleyes.gif Rebeccagrouphug.gifand dog2.gif.    candle.gif for Laura
#49 of 55 Old 02-10-2005, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Frank,
There are many doctors and vocal circ supporters who do not inform parents of the AAP's recommendation- and advise parents to 'be vigilant' at every diaper change. I wasn't really aware the AAP had a statement. I can think of a board off site where a person (not a doctor) continually recommends for parents to retract any adhesions.
I think I know the one you are talking about (his name starts with a "T"?) If it is, he very well knows the correct information but chooses not to present it. I suspect him of being a circumcision fetishist and think he gets some excitement from all of this manipulation. . . could be wrong.

Quote:
I will look for the specific AAP recommendatoins and post it on that board. I get frustrated that he 'acts' like a doctor in all his 'advice' and recommendations.
Think that's bad? There is one who has a screen name that indicates he is a retired pediatrician and passes out detailed medical advice. The problem is that he is neither retired nor a pediatrician. I called him on it one time and it got me banned but the good side of it is that he also disappeared for almost a year. At that same site there are a group of "nurses" none of which are really nurses and they also give out tons of pro-circumcision information and try to perpetuate all of the circumcision myths. I give out a lot of information that could sound like medical information but I am very aware of my limits and never represent myself as a medical professional. That would be both illegal and unethical.

Quote:
Others don't question this person and probably follow his advice.
This is an issue that people will select who to believe regardless of their qualifications. (I am a case in point :LOL) Those who want to believe they should circumcise their child will listen to anyone that espouses that view even when it is clear the person has no qualifications and when their information is clearly refuted by expert information. I know of very few other areas where this is true.

Quote:
I get so frustrated every time I search AAP, because to find info on intactness you have to search for circumcision. I noticed they changed some stuff around recently and wasn't able to find some of the information I had found in the past.

(I just tried to search again, some of the links to circ policy are broken, and I can't find the adhesion info-- could you point me in the right direction).
I had exactly the same problem. I'll find it and get it for you.

Quote:
I've just been doing 'this' for about a year (about 3 months before my son was born till now), so it has been a mishmash of searching and learning. I just have been trying to find information as I've noticed the need, for example, learning about some of the problems circing parents have had on the expecting club I'm trying to wean myself from. I certainly appreciate the knowledge I've already gained since I've been reading the threads here the last week or so. Thanks for verifying some of the assumptions, hunches, or information I've been gathering.
This is a difficult topic because there is so much conflicting information and because some deliberately deceive you by trying to present a "balanced" view and others deliberately try to deceive you for unethical reasons. It is difficult to sort through all of this and pick out what is true and what is not.

Quote:
It is shameful that so many doctors and Mohels can ignore AAP guidelines, in my opinion. What, if any, are the repercussions (sp?) for US doctors ignoring AAP guidelines? Anyone know?

Sorry, this is so rambly.

Jessica

There are absolutely no rammifications or repercussions. Medicine is an incredibly powerful industry and they have protection beyond what is ethical. They can get away with most anything as long as no one is crippled or dies.

Frank
#50 of 55 Old 02-10-2005, 05:49 PM

I haven't found the AAP statement yet but here is one that says essentially the same thing. You should be able to use it:

http://www.medem.com/medlb/article_d...&sub_cat=474#1

"Q(uestion). My circumcised 2-year-old son has been having a problem with penile adhesion for over a year. Some doctors tell me to pull the excess skin back on a regular basis, and others tell me not to do it at all. Is this a common problem in little boys? Does he need another circumcision?

A(nswer). Adhesions between the glans and foreskin are normal in infants and, by age 1, only half of the boys have retractable foreskin. Never try to forcibly strip the foreskin back because that's unnecessarily painful and may cause a raw surface and subsequent scarring. Any small, whitish lumps beneath the foreskin only represent normal skin shedding and need not be removed.

By the time he's 4 the adhesions should release on their own, and he can be taught to retract any remaining foreskin while bathing.

So, it's a common occurrence in little boys for adhesions to develop under any remaining foreskin, although it's rarely a problem and practically never requires a repeat circumcision."

The thing that is left out is just to make sure the circumcision scar line isn't attached to the glans by an adhesion. This can cause a skin bridge which is unsightly and can be prone to infection and can cause pain to the adult man during or after intercourse. Otherwise, just leave it alone.

Frank
#51 of 55 Old 02-10-2005, 06:35 PM

Thanks for posting that, I'll try to find it on the site since the web address is truncated.

Also, you guessed correctly and the pro-circ sites make me very very sad, but I make myself go there from time to time. It helps to keep things partially honest.

Gotta go rescue the dog from my ds.....

Jessica

#52 of 55 Old 02-13-2005, 04:11 PM

To the OP: Are you coming back? We are anxiously awaiting for your reply.
#53 of 55 Old 02-13-2005, 04:35 PM

Please let us know what your learning experiences have been: here and elsewhere. Feedback is helpful too!
#54 of 55 Old 03-01-2005, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the info!! Very helpful!

DH and I have decided we are not going to circumcise. He didn't need alot of convincing. He said he didn't want the baby to have to go through all the unnecessary pain. I haven't read all the links posted but I plan to.
Thanks again!
#55 of 55 Old 03-02-2005, 09:09 AM

That's great! Thanks for letting us know. What a lucky little boy!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page