Some questions from a future father. - Page 6 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#151 of 156 Old 03-09-2006, 04:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Congratulations!

And yes, it's TOTALLY normal to worry - here you are, responsible for a whole new person!

If you need an IBCLC (board-certified lactation consultant), go to www.ilca.org and you can search by zip code.

Also, call your local La Leche League leader for free help. www.lalecheleague.org and go to groups - you can search by state.

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#152 of 156 Old 03-09-2006, 04:19 PM

:

YES! I forgot about doing a "breast fest" - I did this with my dd when she was 3 weeks old -- at that time we were still doing a combo of nursing and bottles of breast milk. A public health nurse actually told me that if I wanted a breastfed baby who sometimes got a bottle rather than a bottlefed baby who sometimes breastfed, I just had to go for it. That weekend I did just as misty said and nursed round the clock and my dd nursed for 23 months after that!

We're not trying to criticize your wife by the way, we just want to see her succeed!
#153 of 156 Old 03-09-2006, 04:25 PM

Congratulations!

And I agree with everyone else, she needs to just nurse and stop supplementing. The more she supplements now, the more she's going to need to supplement.

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

#154 of 156 Old 03-09-2006, 11:01 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Both my boys lost a lot of weight when they were born and didn't get back to their birth weight until about 2 or 3 weeks and they are fine and normal sized and healthy. Formula fed babies gain from birth but breastfed babies often do not and that is okay. Some people do not know this, even lactation consultants, and make you worry needlessly. If she doesn't quit the formula, she won't make enough milk.

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 due Dec. 2014
#155 of 156 Old 03-09-2006, 11:59 PM

As an LC, I always get a little nervous when I hear people say "ditch the formula."

For the record, most mothers will make plenty of milk, and if their supply is suffering it is *usually* something relatively easily corrected like Latch or nursing frequency or needless supplementation.

However, there is a small percentage of mothers who truly, truly struggle with milk supply - even if they are doing everything 'right.' Sometimes the reason is clear: medications, prior struggles with infertility, abnormal breast development etc. Other times we can be detectives and look and look but never find a clear answer.

This baby was only (according to it's father) transferring 0.6 ounces per feeding. That's not enough. Now, maybe this was a late afternoon/evening feeding (when supply is naturally a bit lower), or maybe the scale wasn't super-accurate (my personal preference is the Medela Babyweigh - it's accurate to 2 grams & can calculate intake for you). But regardless, ditching the supplement w/o really excellent follow up is a bad idea in this case.

I have seen a handful of babies whose mothers followed this kind of well-meant advice...some did okay, but others came to me very, very ill.

I'm not saying that a "nursing fest" or whatever doesn't work, because sometimes it truly does. I'm just saying proceed with caution. And remember that there are some good galactogogues out there if you need them.
#156 of 156 Old 03-10-2006, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericisbacchus
Well, my son is here. He's perfect, and I love him more than anything on the planet!
Yay : and congratulations

Of course, he is uncircumcised.

Quick question - is it normal for me to be worrying about him a lot? I'm worried as heck when people are holding him...like I'm worried they may give him a cold or drop him or something. I'll admit I'm being paranoid - I just need some reassurance, folks.

Thanks,
Eric[/QUOTE]

so sweet

Yes perfectly normal to worry so much. I remember quivering when a cooing stranger stroked my baby's hair. The transformation into a parent amazes me.

And I would definitely seek lots of input on the nursing thing. What others have said is true about supply and demand and so supplementing can make it difficult for the mother to make enough. However it is also wise to be as observant as possible and respond when necessary. Good Luck Keep looking for the people to support what you want. With any luck you can get it!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page