red swollen foreskin (I read the sticky) **update** - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 49 Old 12-15-2005, 11:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm not sure if anyone mentioned this but you might get him on some acidopholous especially if he's been on all those antibiotics. That will help internally if it is yeast.

Ditto on stripping your diapers. Rinse rinse rinse. And use a thermometer to check the temp of your water and adjust as necessary, make sure it's good and hot but not so hot it wrecks the PUL if you use FBs or whatever. I dunno what temp yeast dies at but PUL gets messed up at about 130 (I think that's right).

Ditto all PPs on the culture. What's she waiting for?

In fact, scratch that, why is she even bringing up circumcising? Oh, the old "foreskin is the root of all evil" diagnosis. Poor foreskin....it's a just a piece of skin like everywhere else on the body and yet it gets blamed for everything. All it does is hang out all day and protect the glans and it's regarded as such a little troublemaker. I could be wrong, I mean, I'm no dawkter, but wouldn't the glans just have all that redness and stuff on it if the foreskin wasn't there to protect it if it's diaper rash or detergent irritation? And doesn't that contribute to meatal stenosis? Anyhoo, fire that dr and get a new one, that's my 2 cents. There are only so many things that could be causing the redness,etc and she doesn't seem to have been very methodical about ruling things out. Randomly prescribing creams and pills isn't very scientific. She must come from the " Take a Stab in the Dark" School of Medicine. And if it is herpes, you don't treat that with antibiotics, you treat that with an antiviral like acyclovir or something. She has actually been to medical school, hasn't she ? Good luck and keep us updated.
#32 of 49 Old 12-15-2005, 11:55 PM

DD had yeast rash, lotriminAF cleared it up.

Any doctor who suspects herpes but gives an antibiotic, and suggests cutting off the foreskin would help is a QUACK! Some things I've learned having genital herpes:The virus hangs out on the nerve ganglion near the base of the spine; the blisters may often appear in the same place but then again at a subsequent outbreak can be somewhere else. The virus is deep in the body and if you cut off the foreskin of course you can't get blisters on it anymore because it is gone, but you can get them on the glans or shaft or perineum or anus or buttocks; pretty much anywhere between the waist and knees.
That said, this doesn't sound like herpes to me anyway. But if it was, antibiotics and amputations wouldn't help. Shouldn't a doctor know that? What else doesn't she know? I would find a new doctor and tell her why.

Good luck with your boy!

Jen
#33 of 49 Old 12-16-2005, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Has she taken a swab and cultured it to see what comes up? This is an absolutely basic step and it verges on medical negligence that she has not done so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama~bear
No, she hasn't ... what exactly does that involve?
A culture is one of the most basic diagnostic tools available to physicans, right along with the thermometer. It is a means to identify a bacteria or fungi. To take a sample for a culture, the doctor simply swabs the infected area. Think rubbing a Q-Tip on the infected area. The doctor then transfers what was collected on the swab to a petri dish containing a growing medium that is *I think* gellatin. Think of spreading seeds on freshly tilled and fertilized soil. They then wait to see what grows, collect the growth and spread it on a slide to examine under a microscope.

Think of it this way . . . I found some seeds in an envelope that I collected last year. I forgot to label the envelope and now I don't have a clue what kind of plant will grow from those seeds If I plant them without knowing, I could be planting impatiens or cleomes. The seed look almost identical but impatiens grow about 18" tall and cleomes grow to as much as 72" tall. Now I could just go ahead and plant them and see what comes up but I could end up with impatiens in the back where they would never be seen or I could end up with cleomes in the front where they would tower over everything else. The answer is to culture or test plant a few seeds to see what comes up. They look very different as plants. This is what a culture does. It lets the doctor see what grows so that he/she can tell what it is so they can prescribe the appropriate medication. It is so basic that I would seriously question this doctor's competency at this point for not having used this very basic tool.

If you continue to use this doctor, insist that a culture be sampled and grown. However, as long as this has gone on without a successful identification of the pathogen and without using a culture, personally, I would be looking for a new healthcare provider.

Frank
#34 of 49 Old 12-16-2005, 01:03 AM

His rash sounds a lot like what I'm currently battling with my DD. I know part of it is teething. When DD teeths she poops a lot! It makes it harder to get rid of a rash when it's exposed to poop every couple of hours.

After 2 weeks of fighting it ourselves DH took her to the ped's yesterday. Her ped looked at it and said that it looked like a combination of a strep rash and yeast. She recommend a cream to target the yeast. She also gave us a script for an antibiotic if the cream doesn't clear it up in 5 days. (She and us would prefer to only use the anitbiotics if really required.)

If it isn't improving in about a week we will take her back. I can't belive your ped just keeps giving you the same thing.

I second all of the other posts about it being time to get a second opinion and a culture!
#35 of 49 Old 12-16-2005, 11:56 AM

Just another who thinks that it is time for another doctor. Circumcising will absolutely not have any affect on herpes except perhaps making his penis more vulnerable since the virus may spread more easily to tissue that is damaged.

ditto on getting a culture, you need to know what it is to succesfully treat it. You also want to know if it is herpes so you can be sure that the cells that slough off are not transfered to other areas (that is how the virus spreads). Once a person has herpes they always have herpes, however, they may not always have an outbreak. And yes most adults do have herpes of some sort whether or not they display any symtoms. Do you have any other herpes questions? You can also google "cold sores" since that is a form of herpes which may not lead you right to STD info. Oh and sweet melissa can help heal herpes lesions but there are no herbal treatments that I know of which effectively stop an outbreak. Medicines can work in this way when given as soon as a sore appears.

Yeast rashes can blister too.

Definitely find a probiotic and if you are nursing find one with bifidus in it, not just acidophilus.

Keep on doing
#36 of 49 Old 12-16-2005, 05:20 PM

don't they know about sportwash in the dipe forum anymore? (with my babies potty-trained i haven't been there for ages.) surprised i didn't hear about it yet.

it is the stripper par exellence; it is for hunters, to remove ALL SMELL from their clothing. you can find it (in hunting season) at walmart or sports stores. nothing strips diapers better. it is the single best cd tip i got from the forum in years (the best of all was from weebees- ah, the dry pail. )
#37 of 49 Old 12-16-2005, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suseyblue
don't they know about sportwash in the dipe forum anymore? (with my babies potty-trained i haven't been there for ages.) surprised i didn't hear about it yet.

it is the stripper par exellence; it is for hunters, to remove ALL SMELL from their clothing. you can find it (in hunting season) at walmart or sports stores. nothing strips diapers better. it is the single best cd tip i got from the forum in years (the best of all was from weebees- ah, the dry pail. )
My ds is allergic to Sportswash, so I always forget about it. I also did not find that it rinsed out any better than any other detergent. In fact, I had to strip MORE often when I used Sportwash than when I use All. Wehave weird hard water here, though, which is why I had to quit using natural detergents.

To the OP, I would wash on hot 2 times w/ detergent, 3 times without and 3 more cold rinses. Wen my ds had a similar rash, it was mostly on his foreskin, 1 small spot on his butt. And I think that spot started out as a scratch that got bigger/worse from the enzymes.
#38 of 49 Old 12-21-2005, 04:32 PM

I'm having similar issues with my son. Despite stripping and even new diapers and all the other things that others have recommended, the only thing that consistently keeps my ds free and clear of penis irritation is disposable diapers (which I hate). I've tried all the different types of lining, avoiding PUL, and the list goes on and on for all the alternatives I've tried and yet when he's in a sposie, he's consistently back to normal. An hour in a CD of any type - brand new or one of our oldest and he gets irritation and some tissue swelling. I'm still looking for other solutions but so far that's the only thing I've found that works.
#39 of 49 Old 12-21-2005, 07:30 PM

Hmmm, I'm having some problems with my cloth dipes now too. It is frustrating to be using disposies- because for me sometimes they clear up the problem and other times they make it worse.

On another note though, maybe check out Elimination Communication so you can use less diapers????

There's a forum here at MDC and you can also find out inforamation at www.diaperfreebaby.org

Jessica

Jessica..lady.gifintactlact.gif Falling in love all over again..... 
Dhprivateeyes.gif, Joshua rolleyes.gif Rebeccagrouphug.gifand dog2.gif.    candle.gif for Laura
#40 of 49 Old 12-21-2005, 09:18 PM

I just went back and reviewed this thread and something hit me! ( Musta been my hand!)

Herpes is a episodic condition! That is, the symptoms only happen in episodes. They will appear, be present for a few days and then dissappear to reappear weeks months or years later. That is not what has happened with this child. This infection has been going on on a pretty much continious basis for months as would a bacterial or fungal infection. I'd put some pretty serious money on it that it's not herpes.

Now here I'm going to be giving some of that "bad medical advise" that I've been accused of giving lately. : To diagnose this infection, a culture is absolutely essential. It's not expensive, painful, invasive or anything else. It is also very accurate and a basic diagnostic tool. Since the doctor hasn't used it and has allowed this to continue so long, I think it's time to give her the boot and find a doctor that is competent. Just do it!

Now, bear in mind that although a medication is recommended for specific pathogens, (bacteria or fungi) a particular medication does not always work on those pathogens. If the NEW doctor recommends the same medication, just ask him/her to prescribe a different med or brand. We're gonna get this thing whipped!

Just slightly OT . . . Many years ago, I had regular outbreaks of cold sores as caused by the herpes simplex I virus. I would have an outbreak on average of once every 8 or 9 months and I just hated them. It would also affect my job because I had a lot of public contact and I tended to go into seclusion when I had these outbreaks. I just had to do something!

I got to thinking about the virus. It does not survive outside the body and the way it is transmitted is through kissing. Likewise, herpes simplex II that is responsible for genital herpes is transmitted via sex. You simply can not get either one from the toilet seat because of the short life span outside the body.

So, I thought, what can change just one factor that would change the virus's environment so that it couldn't survive? The only thing I could think of was to change the temperature. When I would be in the very begining stages of an outbreak, I would feel a tingling sensation in my lip. I started applying ice to that tingling spot and I would keep applying ice for most of the day. In the 20 or so years since then, I have not had a single cold sore erupt. I've had a slight red bump but the cold sore never came through. The red bump was so slight that no one other than me noticed it. I've also noticed that the episodes came farther apart and the last was more than 6 years ago.

I told a GF about this and she tried it and now she is a believer. She hasn't had an eruption in years either and I told two other friends and they have had similar results.

If my theory is wrong about the mechanics of how this works, it appears that the ice has something to do with it. Are there any medical researchers lurking on this forum looking for their next research project?

Frank
#41 of 49 Old 12-21-2005, 10:06 PM

Frank, my dh suffers from cold sores - he takes Valtrex to keep them from erupting, which is also prescribed for people with genital herpes. It is possible to contract genital herpes if someone with a cold sore performs oral sex on someone - my understanding is that the two types of herpes simplex can be interchangeable that way. I will tell dh about the ice thing, though!

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#42 of 49 Old 12-22-2005, 12:52 AM

OT - for anyone here struggling with any kind of herpes outbreaks, you might want to try L-lysine supplements. L-lysine is an amino acid and interferes with the herpes virus's ability to replicate. I found this out when researching about cat upper respiratory infections, which are caused by the feline herpes virus. I'm lucky enough to have never had so much as a cold sore myself. Although, chicken pox is a herpes virus, so I've had that!

Tis the season, for hot apple cider!
#43 of 49 Old 12-22-2005, 12:55 AM

Oh, one more thing, does anyone know if viruses can be cultured??? In school I only learned about culturing bacteria and fungi.

Tis the season, for hot apple cider!
#44 of 49 Old 12-22-2005, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenOfThePride
Oh, one more thing, does anyone know if viruses can be cultured??? In school I only learned about culturing bacteria and fungi.
I suppose they could under the right conditions but as I understand it, culturing them is not the problem. It's being able to see them because of their comparable size and the technology required. As an illustration, the comparable size would be like a municipal water tower (bacteria) and a golf ball. (virus) A bacteria can be readily seen with a standard microscope while larger virus would require an electron microscope and some of the smaller ones wouldn't even be visible this way. Electron microscopes are horrendously expensive and are very rare, certainly not standard equipment in the typical medical lab.

I think viruses are confirmed by other means such as genetic markers and symptoms that rely on known qualities rather than direct observation.

Frank
#45 of 49 Old 12-22-2005, 06:54 PM

Gosh its been years since Ive had Micro or virology, but it is my understanding that herpes can be cultured on what they call a "shell vial" and whats in the vial is monkey kidney cells or some other kind of clone cell with a different name depending on the virus. The way they tell what kind of virus is growing is the pattern the innoculated cells grow in after theyve been exposed. Some grow in lines, others speckled patterns, others like a bunch of grapes. They can do both types of herpes and CMV and other viruses as well. Its pretty interesting. Perhaps google some of that.. shell vial cultures and see what you get, like I said its been years for me.
#46 of 49 Old 12-22-2005, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by +stella+
The way they tell what kind of virus is growing is the pattern the innoculated cells grow in after theyve been exposed. Some grow in lines, others speckled patterns, others like a bunch of grapes.
That would be a known quality. As I understand it, when the HIV/AIDS virus was first suspected, it was a long while before they knew what it looked like because they couldn't islolate a single virus to observe. For a long time, diagnosis depended on the presence of genetic markers and symptoms. In Africa, that's mainly the way it is diagnosed today and it is very unreliable.

Frank
#47 of 49 Old 12-29-2005, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankly Speaking
Herpes is a episodic condition! That is, the symptoms only happen in episodes. They will appear, be present for a few days and then dissappear to reappear weeks months or years later. That is not what has happened with this child. This infection has been going on on a pretty much continious basis for months as would a bacterial or fungal infection.
Unfortunately I can say that herpes can be something that appears continuous for 6 months anyway. Cold Sores were a parting gift from a relationship that went south. In the beginning I had one sore about every other year. Years later, during the second year of my mothering, I had six continuous months of rotating sores. Yes each sore was an episode, however, I had overlapping episodes for the total duration of six months.
Yes I was pretty bummed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankly Speaking
So, I thought, what can change just one factor that would change the virus's environment so that it couldn't survive? The only thing I could think of was to change the temperature. When I would be in the very begining stages of an outbreak, I would feel a tingling sensation in my lip. I started applying ice to that tingling spot and I would keep applying ice for most of the day. In the 20 or so years since then, I have not had a single cold sore erupt. I've had a slight red bump but the cold sore never came through. The red bump was so slight that no one other than me noticed it. I've also noticed that the episodes came farther apart and the last was more than 6 years ago.
There is another explaination for why ice works. One of the theories for conditions leading to cold sores is explained as excessive heat. Ice takes that heat away. Hence eating hot or spicy foods, sitting in a hot tub, or sunbathing when vulnerable to an outbreak is not a good idea. I know others that swear by this too. Unfortunately ice did not work so well for me when I needed it to. Another strange thing about cold sores is that folks who have had cold sores since their youth reach an age in adulthood (after 30 to 35 or so years of outbreaks) where they no longer have any or so many episodes. So ice and your age may be working together in a great way.

Oh and l-lysine does help. Check with knowledgeable folk for maximum daily dose.

Anyway, I haven't seen an update........... mama~bear
#48 of 49 Old 12-29-2005, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbear
There is another explaination for why ice works. One of the theories for conditions leading to cold sores is explained as excessive heat. Ice takes that heat away. Hence eating hot or spicy foods, sitting in a hot tub, or sunbathing when vulnerable to an outbreak is not a good idea. I know others that swear by this too.
You're telling me that you've heard of my ice trick before? I thought I was totally intelligent to come up with this and now you're bursting my bubble? : I noticed that I would get them along with stress such as dental work, sunburned lips, etc and that's not new information either? Well now, you're totally bumming me out!

Quote:
Another strange thing about cold sores is that folks who have had cold sores since their youth reach an age in adulthood (after 30 to 35 or so years of outbreaks) where they no longer have any or so many episodes. So ice and your age may be working together in a great way.

OK, now you're piling the abuse on! The incidence of my outbreaks started declining when I was in my late 30's and now you're telling me that they would have started declining anyway? I think I'm just going to have to find a cave to hide in.

Frank
#49 of 49 Old 12-29-2005, 02:17 AM

I think it may be a yeast infection, which can result from being on antibiotics. Get your Dr. to prescribe Nystatin ointment. It should clear up in about a week or less. If you cannot get a prescription, use an OTC yeast infection med such as Monistat.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page