Which is worse - to be circ'ed or not breastfed? - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 126 Old 10-31-2005, 03:55 AM
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Circumcision is far far worse than formula... I don't understand the point of the original question?
#122 of 126 Old 11-01-2005, 09:59 AM

I think circ is far worse than ff. One diff b/t the two - there is no imposition on the mother's body whatsover to not circ.
#123 of 126 Old 11-02-2005, 11:21 AM

I don't have a problem with the question. I think it is just an interesting intellectual exercise, helps us think about our reasons for our positions. Of course there is no "right" answer, it's just to make you think.
I would choose intact. At least FF babies are FED.
Here's another perspective I thought of: on the one hand, circ'd babies are actively assaulted and harmed outright so maybe that is worse than passively being denied the benefits of BF. BUT otoh, parents who circ for "health reasons" do so because they really believe it is for the child's best interest, while those who can't be bothered to breastfeed make that choice knowing they are NOT doing the best for the child. So when viewed by the end results you could say the permanent loss of a body part is worse than potentially worse health, but when viewed by the intent of the parents it is`worse to choose to do something you KNOW is not good for the child than to do something your trusted doctors and family told you is really good for the child.
I breastfeed because it is a child's birthright. I don't believe I do it for any selfish reasons. There are benefits I get such as convenience and reduced breast cancer risk (but unfortunately NOT weight loss like everyone said would happen ) but I view those as side benefits and not reasons to bf in the first place. I would still bf even if it were more inconvenient, costly, painful for me and harder than ff. Because the child deserves it whether or not it is easy or beneficial for me.
But I would cut off my own breasts (and find another way to feed the babe) before I would cut off part of my baby's body.

Jen
#124 of 126 Old 11-02-2005, 02:25 PM

I am a huge bfing advocate and so is my (intact) dh, but as he just said, ff doesn't involve mutilation so we would have to go with not circing and not bfing.

I wouldn't ff though. I would get fresh goat milk instead

love and peace.

mama to two girls and due in November!
: Circumcision can never be undone :
#125 of 126 Old 11-02-2005, 10:58 PM

The more I have thought about this question the more I realize there is no way I could watch my son being circed and since I'd never let my baby have a procedure like that done w/o me it just wouldn't happen. So I would have to ff and not circ, really I'd hope I had a very cool mama friend who would donate bm to me.

OUR DAUGHTERS ARE PROTECTED SHOULDN'T OUR SONS BE TOO! :
#126 of 126 Old 11-04-2005, 10:27 PM

I would not cut my childrens hands off to breastfeed. I would not cut their clitoris. I would not cut their penis.

I am not a cutter. Knifes and babies don't mix.

wife - mother - midwife

CIRCUMCISION

The more you know, the worse it gets.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page