#1 of 106 Old 11-18-2005, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Circumcision mix-up

Broadcast News

Friday, November 18, 2005

WINNIPEG -- Officials at St. Boniface Hospital in Winnipeg are trying to figure out how a
circumcision was performed on the wrong baby.
As a results of the mistake, the hospital has suspended circumcisions of male newborns.

Spokeswoman Helene Vrignon says she can't release details.

She says the identities of two baby boys on the same ward were mixed-up.

Vrignon says the family of the boy who was incorrectly circumcised hadn't decided
whether to have the procedure done.

No medical staff have been disciplined so far.
http://www.canada.com/fortstjohn/story.html?
id=603a30c4-71e3-4c06-85a4-558e68492dce

:

Jen
#2 of 106 Old 11-18-2005, 08:40 PM

Makes me want to homebirth the next one really bad! EEEK!

Wouldn't it be great if hospitals just stopped offering circumcision and parents had to make an appointment for it later on?

Tis the season, for hot apple cider!
#3 of 106 Old 11-18-2005, 08:41 PM
A&A

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
SCARY STUFF. I hope they sue!

SOOOOOOOOO glad ds never left my sight at the hospital.

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#4 of 106 Old 11-18-2005, 09:02 PM

Yeah,I hope they sue the living daylights out of that hospital and scare them out of resuming circs.
#5 of 106 Old 11-18-2005, 09:02 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Yikes! Poor little guy. I would definitely be calling my lawyer.

Just another reason I want this one born at home.

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

#6 of 106 Old 11-18-2005, 09:15 PM

unbelievable! wow... I, too, would be calling my lawyer.
I wonder what the parents had to say.
Poor baby

~e, wife to my sweet T partners.gif, mama to my turtleman (8) , sunshine (6 vbac.gif), and monkey (2)
#7 of 106 Old 11-18-2005, 09:17 PM

Oh, how devastating.
I think I would absolutely die.
#8 of 106 Old 11-18-2005, 09:39 PM

Holy shit.

Well, somebody would die - a professional death, that is, and never practice witch doctor medicine again. I would have their license (and their gonads) for breakfast.

I hope the parents of the boy who was spared the knife don't do it after all.

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#9 of 106 Old 11-18-2005, 10:02 PM

I was born at that hospital. It's an old hospital, but has a state of the art research facility.

It's a terrible, terrible thing to have a mistake made like that. It sounds like the parents were on the fence, so not utterly against it.
I would feel sick if they were viscerally against it and it was done.
I'm not excusing it by any means, just a bit releived that they were considering it anyway. I wonder if they'll sue?
#10 of 106 Old 11-18-2005, 10:05 PM

that is soo horrible. totally why if this baby is born in the hospital, i am going everywhere with him/her. i am hoping for homebirth so i won't have to deal with this.

we circ at my hospital and the times i have had to assist, there is a whole process for identifying the baby and making sure we have the correct little boy. how sad. i wish we would stop doing circs in our hospital. i am so lucky that peds rarely do them at night and when i see one early AM, i get busy real quick so the charge has to help.
#11 of 106 Old 11-18-2005, 10:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Nurse
that is soo horrible. totally why if this baby is born in the hospital, i am going everywhere with him/her. i am hoping for homebirth so i won't have to deal with this.

we circ at my hospital and the times i have had to assist, there is a whole process for identifying the baby and making sure we have the correct little boy. how sad. i wish we would stop doing circs in our hospital. i am so lucky that peds rarely do them at night and when i see one early AM, i get busy real quick so the charge has to help.
You might be interested in this link: http://nurses.cirp.org/

Just like some people won't assist with abortions or other acts they find objectionable on moral or religious grounds, you *can* refuse to participate with circs. I wish I had known about this when I was working in our local birth center and 'had' to assist...

Jen
#12 of 106 Old 11-18-2005, 10:31 PM

For those who end up having their children in a hospital (whether by choice or necessity), simply insist that your infant NEVER EVER leave your side, or if they must go, that your DP is with them...no exceptions. Bring this written down a few times, perhaps in the form of a sign also, and tape it to your baby's bassinet. Both of my children were born in a hospital yet neither ever left my side or that of my DH's (DH slept there with me the entire time I was there).

Personally I was kind of freaked out by the idea of microchips being implanted in my children via needles. (just like they were in my cats!) Hopefully, that is an irrational fear, but I had it nonetheless.
#13 of 106 Old 11-18-2005, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverSky
Personally I was kind of freaked out by the idea of microchips being implanted in my children via needles. (just like they were in my cats!)
HUH?
#14 of 106 Old 11-19-2005, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverSky
Personally I was kind of freaked out by the idea of microchips being implanted in my children via needles. (just like they were in my cats!) Hopefully, that is an irrational fear, but I had it nonetheless.
I don't think it's irrational. I think it's totally plausible. And we're probably not the only people on this board who have considered such a possibility.

(Where's the tinfoil hat smilie?)

(Wow, we're wandering reeeally off-topic. Carry on!)
#15 of 106 Old 11-19-2005, 12:39 AM

Having a baby in the hospital is no excuse to leave the baby at the mercy of the staff.
While I would have preferred a homebirth with my twins it wasnt possible, but that doesnt mean the hospital had carte blanche to do whatever they want. Those kids never left my side, not for a second.
#16 of 106 Old 11-19-2005, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbear
HUH?
If my cats ever get lost, they have AVID brand microchips in them, supplied by the local Humane Society at my cost. The scanners are free to veterinarians, SPCA, Humane Society etc., then the owners have a fee (I think it's $40) to keep the pet's number on record. All you do if you find a lost cat or dog, is wave the scanner over their neck and beep, a number comes up on the screen. The employees of AVID then take the number, look it up in their database and tell you the name of the pet, the owner, their address, etc.

I thought it was a great thing for my cats, but then I immediately started to freak out, since it's just a normal looking needle (though a large one), a shot, that puts the chips inside. I'm sure the technology for smaller microchips, perhaps mixed in with a vaccine or other shot, exists. The idea of Big Brother tracking us down via inconspicuously placed scanners bothers me.
#17 of 106 Old 11-19-2005, 01:33 AM

That makes me so sick. I cannot even imagine what I'd do. I'd freak. I'd sue. I'd be livid...ugh AWFUL!!!! :
#18 of 106 Old 11-19-2005, 02:01 AM

When I gave birth to DS2, I was in the hospital room alone with him (DH had gone home for a shower) and a doctor came in and said, "I'm here to circumcise your son." I looked at him and said, "Um..., we're not circumcising him," and he looked at his paperwork and said, "Oh, sorry," and walked out. I was wondering after that incident, what if I had been in the bathroom or something? Would he have performed it without me there, or what? I don't know if there had been any signed paperwork he was holding, but still... it made me shudder to think what could have happened. DH or I never left his side at the hospital... I just don't have trust in all the staff.
#19 of 106 Old 11-19-2005, 02:09 AM

This entire thread is about to send me into panic mode. C ya.
#20 of 106 Old 11-19-2005, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplemama
When I gave birth to DS2, I was in the hospital room alone with him (DH had gone home for a shower) and a doctor came in and said, "I'm here to circumcise your son." I looked at him and said, "Um..., we're not circumcising him," and he looked at his paperwork and said, "Oh, sorry," and walked out.
OMG That is so scary! It really amazing me what idiots are out there in charge of our medical health.

I am guessing the family in the article isn't going to sue. It sounds like they were on the fence and probably just figure it isn't that big of a deal. I really wish that would sue and at least get the hospital to stop doing circ and making it an appointment at the Peds office sort of thing.

Also, with my local hospital the baby is taken to the nursery at every shift change for 2 hours (now it is only 2 times a day, when DS was born it was 3 times a day). I have talked to quite a few woman who have tried to keep their baby with them to no avail. So it isn't always possible to be with your baby 24/7 at every hospital. Sad but true.

Luckily this time we are giving birth at a BC that doesn't circ. However, I put (in bold letters) in my birth plan that If this baby is a boy it would not be circ, and there would be NO retraction. The MW said they don't circ and all they do is look at the penis, they don't retract in any way shape or form.
#21 of 106 Old 11-19-2005, 02:21 AM

OMG! I would be the mother from hell if that happened to my baby!
#22 of 106 Old 11-19-2005, 02:26 AM

This is so sad and one reason my next babe will be born at home. My ds was born in the hospital (insurance didn't cover homebirth, blah blah) and I was a nervous wreck that they would circ him. I swear I would have probably at least beat the crap out of someone if they had. The thought brings me to tears, ugh.
Poor baby. If I was the parents I would most definitely sue.

OUR DAUGHTERS ARE PROTECTED SHOULDN'T OUR SONS BE TOO! :
#23 of 106 Old 11-19-2005, 09:19 AM

Unbelievable. A nightmare come true. I'de be and so ready to sue the living daylights out of him. Man am I gald that dosn't happen over here, I'de be too scared to even leeve the baby to go to the bathroom. What a shame it sounds like his parents probably wont sue, it might have been a great wake up call to these careless Dr's.
#24 of 106 Old 11-19-2005, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunnybumm
Also, with my local hospital the baby is taken to the nursery at every shift change for 2 hours (now it is only 2 times a day, when DS was born it was 3 times a day). I have talked to quite a few woman who have tried to keep their baby with them to no avail. So it isn't always possible to be with your baby 24/7 at every hospital. Sad but true.
I gotta wonder how these women "tried". Not knocking them, but did they say "No, I'd really rather you didn't take him" and the nurses said "but this is hospital policy; we have to" and they said "oh, okay then"? Or did they continue to hold onto their children with death grips and the nurses had to sedate them and pry their screaming infants out of their arms? I think the latter approach is what most of us here at MDC are advocating.

Incidentally, Harrisburg Hospital in PA recently overturned a mandatory separation policy after a protest this summer. Change can be made.
#25 of 106 Old 11-19-2005, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Pickle
Yeah,I hope they sue the living daylights out of that hospital and scare them out of resuming circs.
:
Sue the doctors, too!!!!!
#26 of 106 Old 11-19-2005, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravofrenchie
OMG! I would be the mother from hell if that happened to my baby!
Me too! Someone would have to hold me and DH back so we didn't physically harm the people who physically harmed our son!

Oh, man. I can't believe that. Poor kid.
#27 of 106 Old 11-19-2005, 11:38 AM

I am a lurker here but as a mom of an intact 28 mo old and an OB nurse who has seen many many circs I had to chime in.

Unfortuneately as a nurse who has worked in extremely busy city hospitals on OBS floors I can see how this happened. I live in a small city outlying Winnipeg and while I don't work at this hospital, I have spoken to nurses who do and it has gotten extremely busy. One hospital in the city has stopped offering OBS services, so for a city of 600,000+ people plus rural areas there are only TWO hospitals that offer maternity care. Cutbacks plus busy-ness equals medical errors...it has been proven with medication errors and otherwise that the "system" the error happens in is a major contributing factor to the chain of errors, which ends in the individual making the mistake. And to the poster that said that they weren't glad that those things don't happen here think again...maybe not things as dramatic as the wrong surgery, but things like assessments of your patients not being done as often as standard or meds given to late or omitted for a dose, or a dressing change not done because of some other crisis for a more acute patient, etc. In the days I worked L&D in a city hospital I remember 10-12 babies born in a span of 12-18 hours some days and it was so busy my head was spinning and it was all you could do to keep who was in what room and dialated what # of cm's straight.

Regarding this actual error...On a postpartum ward with 30 plus patients, admissions coming in constantly, people needing help to breastfeed or something for pain...it can be nuts. Still, it could have been something like 2 patients in the same room, or more than one circ done that day, etc. My guess is the parents were told that they would be back with the baby and weren't told what it was for, or maybe they were told it was a circ and they thought this was done with everyone and didn't need to give consent in writing, and most definitely the baby's nameband and a written consent was not checked before starting, even though I imagine the consent was obtained for the right baby, just the wrong baby was done when the time came and the paper work was not double checked. Actually the hospital I work in now does very few deliveries...only 20-30 per month, and this week we had 2 babies the same sex with the same last name...scary!

Before someone flames me understand that I am not saying this is right, and most definitely an error was made, as one who works in the medical system I am trying to shed light as to how it could happen....but it still makes this a horrible situation.

Regarding letting your babies out of your sight... As a mom you have every right to insist your babies stay with you! Our scale is not portable so I weigh my babies in the nursery but I always welcome a dad or visitor to come if mom is not able to get up. I found it hard to believe the person who said the babies were taken out for 2h at shift change...but it is probably for the convienience of the hospital, because they are so busy and have so many babies to assess it is easier to have them in one location and do it all at once, as you never know what hell will break loose on your shift. That being said, babies can also be checked on mom's tummy in the delivery room, or in the bassinette or bed in mom's room.

Good for you who all insist your babies stay with you! Don't let the nurses intimidate you...you have every right!

Going off to read more of this discussion...Tina, here in Manitoba, Canada with dh James and dd Stephanie (5 1/2) and INTACT ds Jonathan (2 yrs)

Tina, RN, wife-y to J, mom to dd (10) and ds (7)
"Beware the lollipop of mediocracy...one lick and you suck forever!"
#28 of 106 Old 11-19-2005, 11:38 AM

O-M-G !! :

Me & DH hug2.gif , adult DD lips.gif & 7 yo DS guitar.gif . 2 GSDs, 6 rescue kitties, 4 birds & a gerbil.
#29 of 106 Old 11-19-2005, 12:46 PM

I would sue so fast that their collective heads would spin.

That poor baby! I really hope that the parents of the other baby choose not to circ. their son afterall. Very sad. Winnipeg is the freaking capital of Manitoba. How does this shit happen in 2005?

Pardon my language, but this is beyond belief.

Sue
#30 of 106 Old 11-19-2005, 12:48 PM

There was a case years ago where a baby born to parents from India was circed without their permission. Hindu boys are almost never circed and the parents were so, so upset b/c this would have social implications on the boy his whole life. They sued and won.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page