The Circumcision Wikipedia - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 12-23-2005, 11:11 PM - Thread Starter
Fi.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circumcision

What do you guys think? Anything we could do to improve it?

FTR: I didn't make it but I thought we could tinker with it a bit.

Long distance Mom to boarding school superstars E (9) and Layne (6).
#2 of 7 Old 12-23-2005, 11:31 PM

Well, it mentions "intact." That's good.
#3 of 7 Old 12-24-2005, 05:55 AM

I spent some time editing it one night. It's a lot of work but they have a lot of traffic. Baybee
#4 of 7 Old 12-24-2005, 07:55 AM

The Wikipedia article on circumcision has been the subject of several edit wars, which the pro-circ lobby seem to have more or less won, there is one in particular who seems to be all over it like a rash, deleting anything anti- he doesn't like as a "point of view", even if it can be substantiated by studies etc. and leaving anything pro- in, even though the studies have been thoroughly debunked. You only have to look at the discussion pages to see what has been going on.

If you want to change anything you had better be ready for an edit war, they won't allow anything anti-circ to stay.

That article was what made me reconsider the Wiki as a source of information and made me realise that although the concept is good, in reality any crank and his brother can edit it. The information is only as good as knowledge of the person who put it in there - it's a great showcase for prejudice and misinformation, and even worse, many of the articles (not just the one on circumcision) contain "facts" that are just plain wrong. It's quite good as a starting point for further research, but never as an original source.

ETA: Oh, I just read the article again, looks like there have been some changes made there after all, there have been some determined intactivists in action, I hope they win out in the end.
#5 of 7 Old 12-24-2005, 12:20 PM

Daisy, I was going to post much the same thing. For a while at least, there were some known fetishists in there mucking around with it and the moderator (or whatever they're called) was carefully protecting them and harshly criticizing any one that said that circumcision was anything but wonderful and was pulling their information for superflurous reasons. That convinced me that Wikipedia is essentially worthless for any use.

Frank
#6 of 7 Old 12-24-2005, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter
Fi.

Well I'm ready for an edit war -- I've done it before, I can do it again.

It's looking substantially better than it was though.

What I'm hoping for:

Someone can dig up the 1994 study by John's Hopkins talking about the increased HIV rate in women from circumcised men.

I'd also like to put in the "more severe" complications because "More rarely, severe complications may occur."

and I'd like to include something about the legal aspects (circumcised men suing doctors)

Long distance Mom to boarding school superstars E (9) and Layne (6).
#7 of 7 Old 12-24-2005, 08:58 PM

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page