Negatives To Being Intact - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 48 Old 06-02-2003, 01:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
T You want urban legends, check out www.snopes.com.

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming....

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#32 of 48 Old 09-12-2003, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Frankly Speaking
I've read often of accounts that men had to be circumcised for the military and have found no verifiable evidence of this. I believe it is an urban legend.
I have no idea if circumcision is actually required or not but it's standard practice in Korea to get circ'd at age 18 when boys enter required military service. Of course, these days a lot of parents get their sons circ'd at birth to save them from the excrusiating pain they'll experience later on. :

JMO, but I think that Koreans somehow feel that circumcision is "westernizing." Probably since it seems to be so popular in the US. My dad is intact only because he was exempt from military service in Korea and my brother (who was born in the US) is also intact because my dad did a lot of research on the topic (my mom just went along). My DH is also intact because his family moved to the US when he was a child so when we decided not to circ DS it wasn't a hard decision to make. But all my SILs thought I was weird because apparently the Korean American population (and all other Americans) all circs (according to them!).

In Korean TV shows and such I've seen many depictions of high school boys going together to get circ'd after graduating- is that supposed to be some kind of bonding experience?

But anyways, I happened to stumble upon this forum after being on these boards for months and even though this was an old topic I wanted to share. Strangely it never occured to me to check out a circ board since DS is intact... like how I skipped over the vax sections in baby books because I thought they were about information regarding the diseases the vaxes helped prevent! : But that's another story

DS 4/2002 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif
DD 3/2009 toddler.gif
#33 of 48 Old 09-12-2003, 10:35 AM

Go to http://www.circumcisionquotes.com/ then to "History" and then "The Army/Just Like Dad". Gives a short background where these issues came from!

And since is MY site, I'll quote some of it here. (Read more detail on the site, if you want.)

Frederick Hodges, D.Phil.:

"The U.S. military had a tremendous effect on the circumcision rates in this country. During World War I and World War II, the army kept very detailed statistics on venereal disease. Venereal disease was considered a grave problem because it kept men in the hospitals rather than on the battlefront.

"Military doctors published reports proving that Blacks were responsible for the spread of venereal disease and so Blacks were targeted for circumcision. Many- frankly- very racist articles were written about Blacks in medical journals that were published by the Army showing why Blacks were so promiscuous; how they were unable to be taught how to wash themselves; how they couldn't be trusted to learn to protect themselves during sex; and that amputative surgery was the only way of controlling them.

"And when they returned home after the war, they became indoctrinated into the belief that circumcision was necessary. And when their children were born and the doctors began circumcising them automatically, parents didn't object! They didn't have a choice, but they didn't object because they had been told that it was absolutely necessary."
#34 of 48 Old 09-12-2003, 10:44 AM

It's disgusting the way people persecute others.
#35 of 48 Old 09-12-2003, 11:08 AM

Quote:

(8.) If you ever accidentally loose an eyelid, the foreskin is used to reconstruct it if the foreskin is still there. Winking at a girl with your foreskin can be considered very offensive by some women.
Love that one! :LOL What was the person's reply to the list?
#36 of 48 Old 09-12-2003, 10:39 PM - Thread Starter

As well as I can remember, he decided that a foreskin is a pretty good thing to have and he would keep his. There were also many other replies to his post so I don't know if the list had anything to do with it at all.

Frank
#37 of 48 Old 09-13-2003, 11:17 AM

[In Korean TV shows and such I've seen many depictions of high school boys going together to get circ'd after graduating- is that supposed to be some kind of bonding experience? >>>>

When I was looking up some turk circ articles at pubmed I cam across a few korean ones.According to the articles I have read Koreans think circ makes the penis cleaner,and the circed male becomes a better lover by having himself cut.

So I guess if you want to be a *real man*(like turks) the prevailing thought is cutting yourself will do it.

Sara
#38 of 48 Old 09-13-2003, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter

The Koreans adopted circumcision right after the Korean War. Three guesses who was the influence and the first two don't count. :

Their reasons to do it are all the same ones here because of (hint, hint) the source. In Korea, the medical establishment strongly encourages it because like it is very profitable here, it is even more profitable there. It has even become more ingrained in the culture there than here and is likely to continue longer there than here because of the lower education levels and lack of access to truthful and accurate information. Of all the things our great country has exported, this is probably the most evil.

Frank
#39 of 48 Old 09-18-2003, 11:15 PM

Quote:
I've read often of accounts that men had to be circumcised for the military and have found no verifiable evidence of this. Frank
Hi Frank..I am a lurker on this forum but wanted to step forward and say that I do personally know a man who was circ'd by the military. I know that this wouldn't be considered 'verifiable proof', but the next time I talk to him, I will ask if there is any available.
#40 of 48 Old 09-19-2003, 03:30 AM - Thread Starter

There is absolutely no question that the military has performed elective circumcisions on soldiers in the past and as far as I know, they still do. The last report I have seen of this was during Operation Desert Storm I when two soldiers requested circumcisions and they were performed on board a hospital ship in the Indian Ocean.

However, I have heard rumors that the military at one time required circumcision of soldiers as a prerequisite of their military service and I have found no evidence or confirmation of this. As a matter of fact, I have seen statements of policy that contradict this rumor. If you have information that this is not true, I would like to see it. I personally know men who served in WWII, The Korean War and The Vietnam War who are intact. That in itself would seem to refute the rumor.

Frank
#41 of 48 Old 09-19-2003, 01:26 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
A woman once told me her x-dh "had to be circed as an adult" because during sex his foreskin would get pinched and painfully forced back.

Anyone else heard of this?
#42 of 48 Old 09-19-2003, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter

Well, first of all, he didn't "have to be." He had an ignoramus, greedy doctor who should have had his license revoked.

Imagine if a doctor told a woman she needed to have her labia removed because her hymen wouldn't tear and it was causing her some pain. This is essentially what this doctor did. The man had a tight foreskin because it hadn't been used enough to be stretched. The doctor could have offered him some steroid cream and some stretching exercises if he hadn't been a total idiot. The man would have been fine within a few weeks. However, instead of a $15.00 prescription, the doctor gave a $1,500.00 prescription. Is any of this making any sense now?

Frank
#43 of 48 Old 09-20-2003, 10:36 PM

My boys are intact and I am constantly defending my choice to some of the old biddys at work (I am an OB nurse). I have got to print this out, I am sure it will be most enlightening

Gina, mom to Gillian 10-98, Zachary 5-00, and Joseph 1-1-02
#44 of 48 Old 09-20-2003, 11:41 PM

Quote:
I've read often of accounts that men had to be circumcised for the military and have found no verifiable evidence of this. Frank
Quote:
I personally know men who served in WWII, The Korean War and The Vietnam War who are intact. That in itself would seem to refute the rumor.
O.k., just wanted to speak to this, as I have had a "with-in the last 6 months" recent conversation with an intact African American Vietnam Vet (we will call E). It's anecdotal, but still pertainent. He told me the circumstances under which he was left intact (his mother had him in ahospital far from home and by the time they got home after the birth, they just didn't get it done. He is the only intact male in his family). When he was drafted into the military for service in Vietnam, he was told by his commanding officer during bootcamp that he would have to be circumsized. E told me that he told his CO where he could shove it and that he would desert before they would "cut his d**k off". He was not circumsized. However, I believe a weaker willed person would have succumbed to the pressure/"requirement".

So, was there an actual across the board policy of circumsizing all male military personel? I don't know. Were there instances where people in command asserted to GIs that there was a policy? I believe the answer is yes.

Mama to three small people; wife to one big person; pet-person to cats and dogs..."Be the change you want to see in the world"-- Gandhi
#45 of 48 Old 09-21-2003, 03:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by sadean

So, was there an actual across the board policy of circumsizing all male military personel? I don't know. Were there instances where people in command asserted to GIs that there was a policy? I believe the answer is yes.
The answers are "No" and "Yes." The military has no policy of circumcising male inscriptees. Never has and I doubt ever will. However, because of the old myths and lies, I have heard several stories like yours. I have no doubt that some in the middle of the chain of command did try this. Some with success and some without. It's hard to believe that one man would try to do something like to another and especially one under his command but we do even worse things to each other. Our cruelty to and deception of each other is boundless.

Frank
#46 of 48 Old 09-21-2003, 02:45 PM

I also read (in the same book, "Circumcisioon: The Painful Dilemma" by Rosemary Romberg) that circ used to be required for high school athletes. Anyone know more about this?
#47 of 48 Old 09-21-2003, 06:02 PM

Required for high school athletes? I highly doubt it. I wish I knew something about the background of that. You say it was in that book, though? I have several books on circ, but not that one.
#48 of 48 Old 09-21-2003, 08:22 PM

It's a good book, though there are some things in it that are just stupid (like when the author says there may be medical justification for episiotomy!).

Romberg, a nurse, was pro-circ when she first started the book. Her only concern was infant pain. As she wrote, she became more and more anti-circ. She has 3 circed sons and one intact son.

It has stories from people who have circed their 3-year-olds, people circed as adults (and for the military) and high school boys harassed by school nurses and who had "letters of recommendation to circ" sent home with their parents.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page