I'm impressed by Planned parenthood - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 127 Old 05-20-2006, 02:57 AM - Thread Starter
 
MommytoB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,204
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It actually states that in most cases circumcision has 'no health benefit ' and is only done culturally.

To bad other doctors couldn't say that .
MommytoB is offline  
#2 of 127 Old 05-20-2006, 04:14 AM
 
Minky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 774
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That's ironic.
Minky is offline  
#3 of 127 Old 05-20-2006, 04:58 AM
 
eightyferrettoes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 5,804
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ironic how?
eightyferrettoes is offline  
#4 of 127 Old 05-20-2006, 05:39 AM
 
Minky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 774
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Planned Parenthood defending the rights of babies for once is ironic.
Minky is offline  
#5 of 127 Old 05-20-2006, 05:54 AM
 
eightyferrettoes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 5,804
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Aaaaahhhhh.

oooooohhhhh.

Yeeeeeeeahhhhh. :hogtiedbyuseragreement:

eightyferrettoes is offline  
#6 of 127 Old 05-20-2006, 06:00 AM
 
eightyferrettoes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 5,804
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Though, I gotta say, you know, PP also does stuff that isn't related to that dreadful-word-which-shall-not-be-mentioned-at-MDC, and they do it on a sliding fee scale, so I'm glad they're getting word out to folks who might lack the resources to hang out at mama message boards.

Or pay for fancy private physicians or health insurance.

Planned Parenthood rocks my socks.
eightyferrettoes is offline  
#7 of 127 Old 05-20-2006, 06:31 AM
 
Minky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 774
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yep, but they're all about the mom's rights to "choose" various things, not the baby's so this is surprising too me.
Minky is offline  
#8 of 127 Old 05-20-2006, 07:33 AM
 
Revamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,666
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minky
Yep, but they're all about the mom's rights to "choose" various things, not the baby's so this is surprising too me.
A baby and a zygote are seen as different things by them, I recognise that that is not a view which you share but it is understandable that they would defend a child from a permanent operation upon their genitals.
Revamp is offline  
#9 of 127 Old 05-20-2006, 08:36 AM
A&A
 
A&A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 16,853
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
This makes me like PP even more. You know, they test for STDS, give pap smears and birth control; it's not all about the a-word.

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
A&A is offline  
#10 of 127 Old 05-20-2006, 09:41 AM
Fi.
 
Fi.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Nashville TN/Vancouver BC
Posts: 1,367
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Minky does this mean I can slam your employer because they do one thing I don't agree with? Great

Planned Parenthood is all about the rights of BORN people, so I'm not really too surprised they're straight up about circumcision. They're also very careful to dispell myths - like men thinking they don't need to use condoms because they're cut (yep, some guys do think that!) about STDs/pregnancy which is great.

People forget the name is PLANNED Parenthood - meaning they want you to become a parent when you PLAN it, not if it just happens. They offer free or low cost birth control to help prevent unplanned pregnancies. Not all of them even offer the OMG A WORD - the one I worked at (and will work at again) only offers STD testing, birth control, and regular gyn exams. STD testing was free, BC was 10 dollars a packet (0 if you were under 18), and gyn exams were low cost or free based on income.

Long distance Mom to boarding school superstars E (9) and Layne (6).
Fi. is offline  
#11 of 127 Old 05-20-2006, 10:21 AM
 
Revamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,666
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fi.
- like men thinking they don't need to use condoms because they're cut (yep, some guys do think that!)
I fear that more and more are going to believe that what with those studies...
Revamp is offline  
#12 of 127 Old 05-20-2006, 10:54 AM
 
Minky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 774
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fi.
Minky does this mean I can slam your employer because they do one thing I don't agree with? Great

Planned Parenthood is all about the rights of BORN people, so I'm not really too surprised they're straight up about circumcision. They're also very careful to dispell myths - like men thinking they don't need to use condoms because they're cut (yep, some guys do think that!) about STDs/pregnancy which is great.

People forget the name is PLANNED Parenthood - meaning they want you to become a parent when you PLAN it, not if it just happens. They offer free or low cost birth control to help prevent unplanned pregnancies. Not all of them even offer the OMG A WORD - the one I worked at (and will work at again) only offers STD testing, birth control, and regular gyn exams. STD testing was free, BC was 10 dollars a packet (0 if you were under 18), and gyn exams were low cost or free based on income.
I wasn't slamming them, all of those things you listed are about the mother's right's though, the mother's right to choose birth contro, the mothe'rs right to choose to have pap smears, the mother's right to choose that thing we can't talk about on here. I just didn't see them as having anything to do with baby's or baby's right.s.

I may not agree with something they provide, and personlly wouldn't choose any of their services, I'm personally against alot of forms of birth control for myself but not for others, and I personally choose not to get preventative treatments for disease so I only see a doctor when I have a problem. But out of those things only the one we can't talk about offends me religoussly. I just see all of them about being about the mom and not the child.
Minky is offline  
#13 of 127 Old 05-20-2006, 11:26 AM
 
Ilaria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Currently living in Beijing, China
Posts: 2,595
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yet another reason to love and support PP!!

Ilaria mamma to Owen, Caroline & Patrick .... loving life as expats in Asia intactlact.gifnovaxnocirc.gifuc.jpgnamaste.gif
Ilaria is offline  
#14 of 127 Old 05-20-2006, 11:27 AM
 
maxmama's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Ann Arbor/Ypsilanti
Posts: 2,454
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minky
I wasn't slamming them, all of those things you listed are about the mother's right's though, the mother's right to choose birth contro, the mothe'rs right to choose to have pap smears, the mother's right to choose that thing we can't talk about on here. I just didn't see them as having anything to do with baby's or baby's right.s.

I may not agree with something they provide, and personlly wouldn't choose any of their services, I'm personally against alot of forms of birth control for myself but not for others, and I personally choose not to get preventative treatments for disease so I only see a doctor when I have a problem. But out of those things only the one we can't talk about offends me religoussly. I just see all of them about being about the mom and not the child.
Well, to some of those of us who work in reproductive health care, it's the woman's right, as women are occasionally considered to be people other than mothers.

mama to Max (2/02) and Sophie (10/06); wife to my fabulous girl
maxmama is offline  
#15 of 127 Old 05-20-2006, 11:30 AM
 
Minky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 774
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't mind being called "just a mother" but you have missed my point. Birth control, gynocological treatments, and STD treatments are all for women. None of those treatments have anything to do with the rights of children. Thats why it surprised me that Planned Parenthood would have an opinion about anything involving the care of babies.

Excuse me if they routineley make recommendations for babies, I don't go to doctors in general including Planned Parenthood so I don't know.
Minky is offline  
#16 of 127 Old 05-20-2006, 11:32 AM
 
Amylcd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 4,166
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Yet another reason to love and support PP!!
Yep

knit.gifMom of Many  jumpers.gif

Amylcd is offline  
#17 of 127 Old 05-20-2006, 11:43 AM
 
mamamillet's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: east TN
Posts: 2,106
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
I wasn't slamming them, all of those things you listed are about the mother's right's though, the mother's right to choose birth contro, the mothe'rs right to choose to have pap smears, the mother's right to choose that thing we can't talk about on here. I just didn't see them as having anything to do with baby's or baby's right.s.

I may not agree with something they provide, and personlly wouldn't choose any of their services, I'm personally against alot of forms of birth control for myself but not for others, and I personally choose not to get preventative treatments for disease so I only see a doctor when I have a problem. But out of those things only the one we can't talk about offends me religoussly. I just see all of them about being about the mom and not the child.
A woman's right to birth control affects a child's right to be born wanted. Planned Parenthood spekas to the notion that all children should be wanted children.

Quote:
Birth control, gynocological treatments, and STD treatments are all for women. None of those treatments have anything to do with the rights of children.
Again, I disagree. Children have the right to be born to healthy women wanting to have a child. PP helps to meet that right.

Mama to ds 6/00 and dd 1/09
mamamillet is offline  
#18 of 127 Old 05-20-2006, 11:45 AM
 
LavenderMae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: where I write my own posts!
Posts: 13,477
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
YAY, Planned Parenthood!!!

IMO what is good for women is also good for the children. And remember 1/2 of those children will be women one day.

OUR DAUGHTERS ARE PROTECTED SHOULDN'T OUR SONS BE TOO! :
LavenderMae is offline  
#19 of 127 Old 05-20-2006, 11:55 AM
 
Sijae's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,527
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
:Puke There's a reason it's not named here. A good one. I for one find it absolutely sick that anyone would support an organization that does that. That's why it's not mentioned here - it is so offensive to so many. I suppose when they say "he who must not be named" in harry potter they aren't really mentioning voldemort? Come on, you're all having the discussion whether you avoid the word or not and it should get pulled.

Laura

mom to 3 home-born children, wife to a great guy joy.gif

Sijae is offline  
#20 of 127 Old 05-20-2006, 12:01 PM
 
veganf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Framingham, MA
Posts: 8,077
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommytoB
It actually states that in most cases circumcision has 'no health benefit ' and is only done culturally.

To bad other doctors couldn't say that .
Another reason I like Planned Parenthood. Good for them.

- Krista

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
veganf is offline  
#21 of 127 Old 05-20-2006, 12:08 PM
 
LavenderMae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: where I write my own posts!
Posts: 13,477
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sijae
:Puke There's a reason it's not named here. A good one. I for one find it absolutely sick that anyone would support an organization that does that. That's why it's not mentioned here - it is so offensive to so many. I suppose when they say "he who must not be named" in harry potter they aren't really mentioning voldemort? Come on, you're all having the discussion whether you avoid the word or not and it should get pulled.

Laura
No that's NOT the reason. The reason is that people on both ends of the spectrum can't keep it nice when abortion does come up, period. It can be discussed here just not debated. Although posts like yours will surely get this thread pulled.


Oh and again WAY TO GO PP!!!!!

OUR DAUGHTERS ARE PROTECTED SHOULDN'T OUR SONS BE TOO! :
LavenderMae is offline  
#22 of 127 Old 05-20-2006, 12:25 PM
 
Sijae's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,527
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheacoby
Although posts like yours will surely get this thread pulled.
I certainly hope so

mom to 3 home-born children, wife to a great guy joy.gif

Sijae is offline  
#23 of 127 Old 05-20-2006, 12:28 PM
 
LavenderMae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: where I write my own posts!
Posts: 13,477
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well that's really mature of you.

Again before this thread gets closed. Thanks PP for spreading the truth about circumcision!!!!!

OUR DAUGHTERS ARE PROTECTED SHOULDN'T OUR SONS BE TOO! :
LavenderMae is offline  
#24 of 127 Old 05-20-2006, 12:33 PM
 
Peppermint's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: work-in-progress
Posts: 5,662
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommytoB
It actually states that in most cases circumcision has 'no health benefit ' and is only done culturally.

To bad other doctors couldn't say that .
Don't ALL major health organizations say it? Why the special props for PP? I could see the point of this if it weren't for the fact that no major medical organization recommends routine infant circ.

I mean, this could be the one area where I agree with PP, so that is probably cause for celebration , I just don't see them stepping outside of what is mainstream here.

:Patty :fireman Catholic, intactalactivist, co-sleeping, GDing, HSing, no-vax Mama to .........................:..........hale:
Peppermint is offline  
#25 of 127 Old 05-20-2006, 12:34 PM
 
Revamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,666
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Seconded, say what you want about the rest of their activities (and people tend to) but this is a brilliant step forwards, that we can all agree on.
Revamp is offline  
#26 of 127 Old 05-20-2006, 12:36 PM
 
Ilaria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Currently living in Beijing, China
Posts: 2,595
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sijae
:Puke There's a reason it's not named here. A good one. I for one find it absolutely sick that anyone would support an organization that does that. That's why it's not mentioned here - it is so offensive to so many.
Not exactly. The reason why it cannot be mentioned is because some people cannot carry on a discussion about that topic in a mature fashion.

Ilaria mamma to Owen, Caroline & Patrick .... loving life as expats in Asia intactlact.gifnovaxnocirc.gifuc.jpgnamaste.gif
Ilaria is offline  
#27 of 127 Old 05-20-2006, 12:36 PM
 
Lula's Mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Roswell, GA
Posts: 4,728
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I see your point and I agree with you, Minky.

I am glad that PP speaks out against circumcision though. The more the merrier.

~*Kristi*~
Tallulah Dare 8-01,  Marcos Gael 12-04, Cormac Mateo 9-09, Leonidas Ronan 11-11

Lula's Mom is offline  
#28 of 127 Old 05-20-2006, 12:37 PM
 
Revamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,666
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lula's Mom
I am glad that PP speaks out against circumcision though. The more the merrier.
Exactly!
Revamp is offline  
#29 of 127 Old 05-20-2006, 12:41 PM
 
RiverSky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Paradise
Posts: 7,290
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
: How Entertaining!

Do we have a cheerleader icon? Go PP Go!
RiverSky is offline  
#30 of 127 Old 05-20-2006, 12:50 PM
 
Ann-Marita's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 4,590
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yea, PP!

PP has been with me through some major turning points in my life - becoming sexually active, finding the right birth control for me, and finding out that I was pregnant (a planned pregnancy).

I think telling it like it is for circ is right in line with their telling it like it is with other information (some of which some people in this country don't want others to hear about).

Ann-Marita. I deleted my usual signature due to, oh, wait, if I say why, that might give too much away. 

Ann-Marita is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off