tongue clipping - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 68 Old 08-06-2006, 11:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara vanÆsir
I'm terified by not getting lidocane at the dentist. I had teeth pulled when I was 6, with lidocane which I doubt was working at all, because my mouth wouldn't have enough room otherwise. Well, turns out, my mouth had too much room. I swear that dentist was pulling it out of his a$$. I hate him still, like some evil money gobbler who stole my teeth.

Then, five years ago, I had my wisdom teeth pulled. Going under is not something I desire, so lidocane once more. My teeth were particurally hard to pull, and it took much longer than the dentist expected. He had to chisel two of my teeth out. And guess what, the lidocane wasn't working. :

I hate dentists. :

Absolutely get some kind of numing medication. Perhaps lidocane would be too much, a numbing cream should do.
Do you have red hair? I've heard that redheads need more pain killer/anesthesia.
#62 of 68 Old 08-07-2006, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glamourfaust
Do you have red hair? I've heard that redheads need more pain killer/anesthesia.
Yes. Red hair, light skin .

My body often is very susceptible to reaction from medication (hence my hesitation to receive general anesthesia). I always tend to get many side effects. It runs in the family, my uncle got Steven Jonhson syndrome - a syndrome usually (not always) caused by a reaction to medication which causes the skin and mucous membranes to "blister away"- from flu medication.

Sadly, all the lidocane really did was make me giggly.
#63 of 68 Old 08-07-2006, 10:14 AM

Quote:
I was going to ask the same thing (great minds ) I have the same problem w/ pain meds.
#64 of 68 Old 08-07-2006, 11:15 PM

Okay, one last thing. Can a tongue tie get worse with age? DS latched on like a pro right from the getgo, I never had sore nipples, and I remember a stage around 4 months when he was sticking his tongue out. But now, it has the heart shape.
#65 of 68 Old 08-08-2006, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Okay, one last thing. Can a tongue tie get worse with age? DS latched on like a pro right from the getgo, I never had sore nipples, and I remember a stage around 4 months when he was sticking his tongue out. But now, it has the heart shape.
I don't see why not. I mean, it could have been tight at birth and not grown/stretched as he's hotten bigger. KWIM? Maybe next time you have him at the ped's, see what they think. You see the Froehberg's don't you? I've heard they're pretty good.
#66 of 68 Old 08-08-2006, 12:31 AM

sorry haven't read the responses.

we had dds tounge clipped (i can't believe someone suggested it. we had to fight tooth and nail. ) there was no way I was going to do therapy and what not when a simple procedure could correct it. with my first it interfered with nursing so there was no question in my mind that this simple procedure was far less traumatic than week after week of therapy nd learning to live with limited tounge use (I know it sounds silly but think of all the things you do with your tounge from chewing and swallowing, to talking to licking an ice cream cone and french kissing. now imagine you couldn't do them or couldn't do them well.) and risk damaging her vocal chords. My third had speech delays so we insisted it be done. oddly enough she shoved something in her mouth the day we made the appointment (on the way home from the ENTs office actually), got it stuck under her tounge (because she didn't have proper function of it) and it sliced her frenulum. done. we cancled the apopintment.

it is a 10 second procedure, there were two drops of blood, almost no risk of infection (especially if you are still nursing). totally different than a cicumcission. and there is benifit to it.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#67 of 68 Old 08-08-2006, 02:01 AM

My daughter was quite tongue tied and our Dr. said it would right itsekf if it needed to.and it did!
Amber
#68 of 68 Old 08-08-2006, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amberdoula
My daughter was quite tongue tied and our Dr. said it would right itsekf if it needed to.and it did!
Amber
It must not have been very severe. My oldest had a mild tongue-tie and it resolved itself, but this will NOT happen for the more severe cases w/ a thick frenulum.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page