Wondering... - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#31 of 47 Old 08-15-2006, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter
 
mother_star's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 137
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am relieved that I did/am not getting my DS circ. But I was talking with a friend the other day and her two boys are circ, she had told me I should get my DS done because the foreskin can stick to the head of the penis (this is the reason she got it done). Is there any way to prevent this from happening? Does this happen often in uncircumsised boys?
mother_star is offline  
#32 of 47 Old 08-15-2006, 11:56 AM
 
Quirky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Princeton, NJ
Posts: 12,113
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mother_star
I am relieved that I did/am not getting my DS circ. But I was talking with a friend the other day and her two boys are circ, she had told me I should get my DS done because the foreskin can stick to the head of the penis (this is the reason she got it done). Is there any way to prevent this from happening? Does this happen often in uncircumsised boys?
This is not a concern. Really, truly. As long as the boy can pee OK, then there is nothing to worry about!

The foreskin is fused to the glans at birth, and takes a while to separate/become retractable, as discussed above. This is probably what your friend is referring to. It is not a problem, it is not a defect, it is just normal! Some boys don't become retractable until their teens, some even later - it's all variations on normal. So your neighbor had her boys circed for no good reason.

Speaking of peeing OK, you should know that there is a condition called meatal stenosis, in which the opening of the urethra becomes irritated and scarred and urinating is impeded. This is almost entirely a complication of circumcision and happens in upwards of 10% of cases. So in addition to all the other complications of circumcision, including the loss of HALF the nerve endings of the penis, if you get your son circed, he will be at risk for meatal stenosis and having to have repeat surgery to correct it.

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

Quirky is offline  
#33 of 47 Old 08-15-2006, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter
 
mother_star's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 137
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh thank heveans! I was so scared when my friend had told me this. Thank-you for clearing this up for me.
mother_star is offline  
#34 of 47 Old 08-15-2006, 01:05 PM
 
kldliam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Beautiful Oregon
Posts: 1,638
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Mother Star: I am relieved that I did/am not getting my DS circ. But I was talking with a friend the other day and her two boys are circ, she had told me I should get my DS done because the foreskin can stick to the head of the penis (this is the reason she got it done). Is there any way to prevent this from happening? Does this happen often in uncircumsised boys?
Please read my last post by Dr. Paul Fleiss. It talks about this very thing: "the foreskin sticking to the head of the penis". This is called adhession, and it is quite normal. People who don't do their research, like your friend I assume, don't understand that adhession separates by itself in puberty. As I stated before, the skin will almost always separate by the time he turns 18. Even in the rare event that it doesn't, the situation can be helped with creams perscribed by a doctor, & stretching exercises, not a full-blown circumcision.
kldliam is offline  
#35 of 47 Old 08-15-2006, 01:43 PM
 
TigerTail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: I'm finally here!
Posts: 9,368
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
* (don't worry folks, you didn't miss anything controversial- when was the last time I edited for anything other than corrections? )
TigerTail is offline  
#36 of 47 Old 08-15-2006, 03:43 PM
 
4chunut1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 96
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCatLvrMoMof2
Almost boy's masturbate intact or circed. The only difference is how it works. Intact men have the gliding action and a circed man does not.
Yeah that... And it also doesen't matter if they are retractible or not. As an intact man and retractible for as long as I can remember, I learned to masturbate well before puberty. I believe the intact person derives more pleasure from BOTH masturbation and intercourse, because of the myriad of nerves in the foreskin that are stimulated during the act.

You are doing the right thing by leaving your son intact. As an adult he will thank you, at least in his mind, every day of his life for your decision. I know I feel that way about my Mom...
4chunut1 is offline  
#37 of 47 Old 08-15-2006, 03:43 PM
 
Lula's Mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Roswell, GA
Posts: 4,728
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You're such a hothead!

~*Kristi*~
Tallulah Dare 8-01,  Marcos Gael 12-04, Cormac Mateo 9-09, Leonidas Ronan 11-11

Lula's Mom is offline  
#38 of 47 Old 08-15-2006, 03:48 PM
 
Jaydens_mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 325
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I can tell you from PERSONAL experience... he's fine.

I thought my sons circ was done wrong because the skin was attached to the head still and it scared me.. i came on here and everyone reassured me that it was ok.. and that it would go away as his penis and him got bigger.

Well i ended up having to go into the Ped to get my sons vacs and I had her look at it for her 1 on 1 opinion ( because she could actually see it ) and she reassured me that it would pull back in time.

Then after i specifically told her not to rip it back she did anyways.

Now my little guy is screaming OUCH and grabbing his crotch all day long.

its so disgusting to look at because the skin is all raw.. ( he keeps coming up to show me )

SERIOUSLY LEAVE IT ALONE!


ALSO: my son WAS circ'd at birth, and they never even MENTION to me that the skin is originally/ and could reattach itself to the glands.
Jaydens_mom is offline  
#39 of 47 Old 08-15-2006, 03:53 PM
 
Lula's Mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Roswell, GA
Posts: 4,728
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Jayden's Mom, your first intactivist post!!!!! :


~*Kristi*~
Tallulah Dare 8-01,  Marcos Gael 12-04, Cormac Mateo 9-09, Leonidas Ronan 11-11

Lula's Mom is offline  
#40 of 47 Old 08-15-2006, 03:57 PM
 
Jaydens_mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 325
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lula's Mom
Jayden's Mom, your first intactivist post!!!!! :

Jaydens_mom is offline  
#41 of 47 Old 08-15-2006, 04:46 PM
 
crysmomofthree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,892
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mother_star
Here in Canada they don't circumsise baby boy's at birth and it never crossed my mind about even getting him circumsised until recently, because the foreskin was not retracting at all at 7yo. I thought boy's were suppose to have a retractable skin by then. But after reading all the info people gave me and checking out the links at the top of this page, I found out it was normal, so there I decided to wait and see what happens.
Circ has not been covered by msp (that's our universal insurance) since at least 1996. In BC infant circ is not done in the hospital. If you want a circ done you would need to find a urologist that performs them and it is done on an outpatient basis. And it needs to be paid for out of your own pocket. EVERY health care provider I came across while pregnant with all of my four kids told me circ was NOT recomended.

I remember a dad asking during a Langley Hospital maternity tour, where they did the circs? the nurse gasped! and told him it is not done here, nor is it recomended to be done

So although I do know lots of boys that are circed, its mostly due to dumb reasons, I actually had a mom at the school tell me that she circed her son because it would lower his risk of aids? how ridiculous, I actually laughed.

I do think our circ rate is really low, and a lot has to do with the difficulties and expense of obtaining the circ Yeah! Canada!
crysmomofthree is offline  
#42 of 47 Old 08-15-2006, 04:49 PM
 
Jaydens_mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 325
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
my doctor asked me the day before i left the hospital ( smalltown in ONT, Can) if i wanted to have my son circ'd....
Jaydens_mom is offline  
#43 of 47 Old 08-15-2006, 05:13 PM
 
Islay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Deal, Kent, England
Posts: 388
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What a wonderful thread this has turned out to be! Big smile on my face almost all the way through!

Christopher

Education is the discovery of our own ignorance. Will Durant

 

"You give a little love and it all comes back to you....

You know you gonna be remembered for the things you say and do."

Bugsy Malone

 

 

Islay is offline  
#44 of 47 Old 08-15-2006, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter
 
mother_star's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 137
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The only thing the doctor talked to me about while pregnant was whether i wanted an epiderral and if I wanted to breast feed. There was no talk of circ at all.
mother_star is offline  
#45 of 47 Old 08-15-2006, 07:54 PM
 
Jaydens_mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 325
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well for me the doctors asked me before i left the hospital if i wanted it done.. he recommended it, saying it was cleaner and it was virtually painfree and etc...
The only info i had at the time came from him, and my mother, but my mother originally got her info from him 18 years prior when he circ'd my brother
So he had pretty much been distributing false information for 18+ years...

He did NOT mention that the skin may reattach itself to the glands, and when i took my son in and asked him if the circ was done right and the skin had already been reattached he said "yes its perfect" but didn't tell me WHY it was like that so i thought he was BSing me again.

It seriously will pull away by itself... don't even bother taking him in to get it checked out because you might have the same issue i did... IT IS NOOTTTTTTTTTTT FUN AT ALLLLL seeing your precious child in sooooo much pain.
Jaydens_mom is offline  
#46 of 47 Old 08-16-2006, 02:37 AM
 
TigerTail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: I'm finally here!
Posts: 9,368
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I wouldn't mention it (except you were so sweet about the 'shmegma' ), but it IS 'glans'. I like it when people let me know these things (nicely), so I hope you don't mind either.

I hope Jayden is feeling better soon. My little turns 4 today; you are going to have such great fun as a mama of a little boy. Best of luck to you both, & don't let us scare you off in the vax forum or anywhere else here, even when we get emphatic. We are passionate folks, but mostly pretty fair. It's a cool board, & I'm glad you've come.
TigerTail is offline  
#47 of 47 Old 08-16-2006, 03:17 AM
 
travisandjill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 124
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinijocaro
Just to help reassure you, my 10 year old's foreskin just retracted a few months ago. Leave it alone and it will do it in it's own time. I had a doctor tell me when ds was 7 that he "needed" to be circumcised.

I'm glad you came here!


I can beat that! I had one tell me I needed to circ my 8 week old son because his foreskin was "stuck". UUGGGGHHHH!! I really wish these so called "medical professionals" would educate themselves more.
travisandjill is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off