Curious about Pro-Circ'ers - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 72 Old 10-15-2006, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, I reviewed the guidelines and didn't see anything prohibiting this topic but please let me know if I am treading on dangerous turf.

I am sincerely curious as to why someone would be adamantly pro-circumcision. I truly don't know why this topic even causes a debate in some mainstream circles, (other than the fact that circ'ers could feel guilty?) as long as those of us that do not circ avoid being judgmental. Could anyone enlighten me with reasons why people would be vociferously, angrily, judgmentally opposed to not circumcising your child? I have encountered this IRL and am just at a loss. Of course I believe that my "anger" towards circumcision is justified and don't understand the opposing side. Maybe understanding them would help?

Again, I hope I'm not out of line with this......

ETA: I am not in any way asking for anyone to advocate circ'ing, and certainly not thinking of a change of heart, just maybe explain a mindset.
#2 of 72 Old 10-15-2006, 09:25 PM

IMO? Guilt. No one wants to believe they are endangering their child willingly. Its easier to hide their head in the sand, call people radical, and pretend it isn't a horrible act of mutilation.. than it is to stand up for something and go against the grain.

..and then there is the religous aspect that some people have with it.

treehugger.gifAutistic pagan mama with five kiddos on the spectrum, learning through living life. autismribbon.gif  computergeek2.gif

#3 of 72 Old 10-15-2006, 09:26 PM

I'll bite. My dh is adamant that boys should be circed. He's a nurse and he CLAIMS that it is hygiene and health related. "oh angela, you should see what I see, old men can't take care of themselves, infections, yaddayadda". To which I reply, well what about old women? do they not get infections etc? He says yeah.........so I said, then why don't we circ baby girls?? He told me I went off the deep end.

Thank goodness HE doesn't have the ultimate say in this decision, huh?? It doesn't matter what documentation I show him....... he is adamant. Doesn't matter to me though, tough titty. The next one won't be circed.
#4 of 72 Old 10-15-2006, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowansmomma View Post
Thank goodness HE doesn't have the ultimate say in this decision, huh?? It doesn't matter what documentation I show him....... he is adamant. Doesn't matter to me though, tough titty. The next one won't be circed.
#5 of 72 Old 10-15-2006, 09:59 PM

I think they would have to admit that they are less than whole themselves if they accepted that keeping a child intact is preferable. I mean, it's a man and his PENIS! G-d forbid it is less than perfect. If the "other kind" is acceptable, than their kind might not be all they have come to believe it is. Okay, sorry. Going overboard here.
#6 of 72 Old 10-15-2006, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregongirlie View Post
I think they would have to admit that they are less than whole themselves if they accepted that keeping a child intact is preferable. I mean, it's a man and his PENIS! G-d forbid it is less than perfect. If the "other kind" is acceptable, than their kind might not be all they have come to believe it is. Okay, sorry. Going overboard here.
You're not going overboard at all; you've made an excellent observation. It takes an emotionally secure man to admit his penis is less than perfect. I would also expect that seeing his intact son at diaper changes and bathtime would also be very hard on the dad.

~Nay

Reneé, 33 year old mom to Antonin 8/04 nocirc.gif and Arianna 9/06 gd.gif angel1.gifangel1.gif (6 weeks) 5/08. Married to Matt since 6/03 blowkiss.gif.  TTC a little rainbow rainbow1284.gifchartnew.gif http://www.FertilityFriend.com/home/4e4ac9 Currently in the 2WW 
#7 of 72 Old 10-15-2006, 10:33 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I don't "get it" either. I can understand being pro religious circ (as I am.) I can understand thinking "it's a parent's personal choice, who am I to judge?" but I can't understand being decidedly, actively pro- RIC.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#8 of 72 Old 10-15-2006, 10:44 PM

my husband used to be really adamant...he always said he would handle it, etc.

i knew I would be homebirthing, and he said he would take them to the ped and get the anesthesia, etc, and I said fine. This was in my pre mothering days.

Once I got the info, I let him read it, and he was on my side, end of story.

It doesnt bother him persay to see our intact baby, but I do think he wishes he wasnt circed himself.

i know people who are hugely pro circ. I cant seem to get it in their heads. I dont understand it.
#9 of 72 Old 10-15-2006, 10:54 PM

Quote:
To which I reply, well what about old women? do they not get infections etc? He says yeah.........so I said, then why don't we circ baby girls?? He told me I went off the deep end.
That's an example of every pro-circ person when hit with logic. They can't answer, so they come up with every fallacy of logic they can dredge up (that is, when they don't get downright hysterical).
#10 of 72 Old 10-15-2006, 10:54 PM

Also, doctors do know the truth but they wouldn't make money off the truth would they especially since they profit from circumcision itself and the foreskin sale of itself that's what I think of most doctors.

The other type of doctors are the ones who are circ'ed so they have to believe the past benefits of circ and the females doctors are kind of confusing to me but I think they think legal ways if it's not prevented to do or if it was wrong to do then there must be 'some reason of why it is still allowed' kind of thinking.
#11 of 72 Old 10-15-2006, 10:58 PM

If one actually believed all the circ'ing myths, then one would believe that they had done what was right. When you put those myths into question the person who believes them does not want to hear that they may have made an irreversable mistake and becomes defensive. (This is why I'm very proud of all you moms that have circ DS1 but didn't circ DS2, DS3, ect.)

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos
#12 of 72 Old 10-15-2006, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerTail View Post
That's an example of every pro-circ person when hit with logic. They can't answer, so they come up with every fallacy of logic they can dredge up (that is, when they don't get downright hysterical).

You're right!! All he can say is that I've gone off the deep end. He can't even fathom that he might be wrong! But, he's heard me talk about it a lot, and he says less and less about it now so I suspect that if I have another boy he won't have much to say.
#13 of 72 Old 10-15-2006, 11:21 PM - Thread Starter

ITA with all of you. Just didn't want to say it! I can even, to some small, small degree, understand why a man would be adamant about circ'ing. But a mother? (Aside from religious reasons, naturally) I just don't get it at all. And to be hostile about it? I understand that even less. I mean, I am never hostile about this discussion and I truly believe that I have more to stand on than they. Of course I do, but I don't feel that way about other issues, say, abortion, where at least I can understand the passions of both sides though I stand very firmly on one. Make sense?
#14 of 72 Old 10-16-2006, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babycale View Post
I am sincerely curious as to why someone would be adamantly pro-circumcision.
Religious issues.

Denial & guilt.

Power of culture. (My parents did it - are you hinting they did something wrong?)

Fetishism for circumcision(this is the biggest group in actual debate boards).

Fear.(in countries where FGM is practised, natural vagina is feared - same way in USA normal penis is feared).
#15 of 72 Old 10-16-2006, 10:56 AM

Some more reasons:

* Conformity. They do not realize circ is only being done for 50% and falling. Afraid of having their son be different or be rejected by women, laughed at in the locker room. etc. Not aware that intact men are sought after

* Family pressure or fear of it. Ever been nagged about something by a MIL/FIL for weeks on end?

* Too much trust in doctors. "If it was done for years, it must have a valid reason!"

* Only having seen the surgically modified p*nis, the parents have no idea that the original equipment is much better.

* Parents not open to talking about, or discussing/researching sexuallity - even with each other. If you are not willing to talk about it, it is much easier to agree to have it done.

* Partner not open to discussion, and relationship under stress for other reasons ... easier to just agree.

* Not aware of risks of infection, mutillation, reduced sexual enjoyment, and worse.
#16 of 72 Old 10-16-2006, 11:08 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by babycale View Post
I am sincerely curious as to why someone would be adamantly pro-circumcision.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kxsiven View Post
Religious issues.
IMO this isn't even a good "excuse." Being in favor of religious circ does NOT mean you need to come up with a host of reasons that all boys should be circ'ed, regardless of religion. Circ'ing for religious reasons does NOT mean that you have to ignore all the studies showing the futility of medical circ, nor recognize that most newborn circs in the USA are done for cosmetic reasons. There's certainly no religious justification to advocate circ for anybody outside of one's own religion.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#17 of 72 Old 10-16-2006, 11:16 AM

My grandparents and dp's father both were appalled that we did not have Grey circed. They said he would have "sex problems." I believe my grandfather was circed late in life due to sex issues but I'm sure it was not necessary. (I can't say for sure but I'm envisioning pre-mature ejaculation or something like that that could easily have been cured by having more sex or masturbating more but circ was presented to him as the panacea by his Dr.s KWIM?) People of that generation see is as something that MUST be done or all sorts of medical/sexual problems will occur. Sadly they don't realize that pretty much everyone in Europe is humpin along just fine without being circed.

Jen read.gif Mama of 2 precious boys blowkiss.gif (9)  flowersforyou.gif (6)  and still in heartbeat.gif with my Matt hat.gif after 12 years together. 

rainbow1284.gif Domestic Violence Children's Advocate and Counselor hug2.gif

homebirth.jpg bf.jpg nocirc.gif ribbonjigsaw.gif 

#18 of 72 Old 10-16-2006, 11:16 AM

Quote:
I'll bite. My dh is adamant that boys should be circed. He's a nurse and he CLAIMS that it is hygiene and health related. "oh angela, you should see what I see, old men can't take care of themselves, infections, yaddayadda".
I have a friend who's dh is also a nurse and says the same kind of thing. He works in the ER and talks about the homeless men that come in, etc. I have no doubt that some of these men do have issues from lack of hygene. I'm sure they have terrible problems with their teeth too. All kinds of things go wrong without basic hygene.

You can't talk to her about it though. She's sure her dh knows what's right because of his medical background.

Mom to (5) (9)
#19 of 72 Old 10-16-2006, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
IMO this isn't even a good "excuse." Being in favor of religious circ does NOT mean you need to come up with a host of reasons that all boys should be circ'ed, regardless of religion. Circ'ing for religious reasons does NOT mean that you have to ignore all the studies showing the futility of medical circ, nor recognize that most newborn circs in the USA are done for cosmetic reasons. There's certainly no religious justification to advocate circ for anybody outside of one's own religion.
You know, we're really not supposed to 'go here' on this board. However, I will say from personal experience that there are people who opt for ritual circumcision of their sons that seem to advocate it for the general public as well, and certainly those that deny RIC's risks and harms. I think that there is a fear-for some-that abolishing RIC could have an eventually have an impact on ritual circumcision. Once things are cleared up on Religious Studies, I'd love to discuss this further over there.

Jen
#20 of 72 Old 10-16-2006, 12:35 PM

Many pro-circers also seem to have a preference for anecdotes and do not understand the purpose or importance of actual research/studies. IMO, it's both a form of ignorance and immaturity.

Jen
#21 of 72 Old 10-16-2006, 12:35 PM

I don't know ANYTHING about circufetish, so I guess this is my ignorance speaking. The word fetish is sexual to me, so I'm assuming circufetishes find circumcising/circumcised penises sexy. I don't really care, to me, all that falls under consenting adults, not my business. What I DON'T get, is why do they care what I do (circ or not) with my son's penis?? Why would they think you should circumcise an infant (obviously NOT a consenting adult)? They aren't going to have sex with my son, so why care?

My dh is of Italian heritage, and I find him and his apperance attractive (sexy). However, that's just me. I don't think ALL men should try to look like my dh. I don't think people should preform cosmetic surgery on infant boys to make them more "Italian-looking" just so I'll find them attractive when they grow up. :

I can't think of another fetish where people want you to have cosmetic surgery on infants just so they will be "sexy" as adults. What a weird thing!

Am I off base here?

Casey
Mama to DS 2/22/06 and DS 3/27/09 :
#22 of 72 Old 10-16-2006, 12:37 PM

fear of the unknown- and fear of being "different"
#23 of 72 Old 10-16-2006, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnitLady View Post
I don't know ANYTHING about circufetish, so I guess this is my ignorance speaking. The word fetish is sexual to me, so I'm assuming circufetishes find circumcising/circumcised penises sexy. I don't really care, to me, all that falls under consenting adults, not my business. What I DON'T get, is why do they care what I do (circ or not) with my son's penis?? Why would they think you should circumcise an infant (obviously NOT a consenting adult)? They aren't going to have sex with my son, so why care?
There are actually people who are aroused by thoughts of infant circumcision, relating to pain, helplessness, being restrained, etc. I guess you could consider it an extreme type of BDSM fantasy/roleplay.

There are yahoo groups that cater to these people, and they post stories about forced (often unanesthetized) circumcision. They describe witnessing a ritual circumcision of a baby as a huge turn-on, or masturbate to RIC videos. There are also some who seem to get a sexual kick out of convinincing parents to circumcise their sons. Like rape, circumcision is violation...it's about power and control. These sick people enjoy just having the opportunity to influence, to subtly manipulate...and then fantasizing about the result.

Disgusting, but true.

Jen
#24 of 72 Old 10-16-2006, 01:41 PM

Quote:
as long as those of us that do not circ avoid being judgmental.
I am anti-circ and I am judgmental. I think most of us are.
#25 of 72 Old 10-16-2006, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Mexico Beach View Post
I am anti-circ and I am judgmental. I think most of us are.
Good point, and I agree...although I think there's a difference between judging an act or a choice, and judging a person. For instance, we can say circumcision is wrong or a bad choice without calling someone a bad parent. Unfortunately, many people cannot perceive the distinction and accuse us of calling them a bad parent and questioning their love for their children.

Jen
#26 of 72 Old 10-16-2006, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnitLady View Post
I don't know ANYTHING about circufetish, so I guess this is my ignorance speaking. The word fetish is sexual to me, so I'm assuming circufetishes find circumcising/circumcised penises sexy. I don't really care, to me, all that falls under consenting adults, not my business.

Unfortenately many circ fetish people are also pedophiles. And many of them lurk on parenting/debate boards, disguising themselves as parents and advocating circumcision to clueless parents.(and ofcourse they want to hear everything about the child's circ afterwards - was it tight enough etc....and clueless parents tell..)

-------------------------

"I might just go along to see if I can pick up some videos of boys and girls getting snipped. I only live up the road so I might get some good wanking material. Circs make me HARD!"
Snip, snip, The Cutter
Message on alt.circumcision, 4/98, in response
to a post giving information about the Fifth
International Symposium on Sexual Mutilations

"What turned me off the whole circumcision scene was to read a report recently about a bunch of men nursing erections as they watched a shrieking baby having his foreskin cut away. When I contemplate the perfection and symmetry of my little boy's body, including his penis, I feel a sense of pride at having produced such a beauty, and I shudder that there are perverts, like I describe, out there, who would actually take pleasure in marring his perfection."
From a letter from Ms. A. C. Herts,
The Acorn [Society Newsletter],
Issue No. 1 1992, p. 10

"I would like to circumcise an adult. I have a fantasy to circumcise a guy who lost his foreskin in a bet ... or to forcefully circumcise a man. Any way to get the Tara Klamps in the States? Any uncut willing to let me circumcise him? I would one day like to have a jar full of foreskins I circumcised off guys. "
Message on alt.circumcision, 1/97

http://www.sexuallymutilatedchild.org/little-b.htm
#27 of 72 Old 10-16-2006, 03:16 PM

:Puke I had no idea! I always assumed it was an adult thing! That is beyond horrible!

Casey
Mama to DS 2/22/06 and DS 3/27/09 :
#28 of 72 Old 10-16-2006, 03:58 PM

Ugh.... that's terrible that there are people like that out there (and probably lurking here too ).

ITA with what folks have said already. Guilt for sure. Tradition can be difficult to break for some people. It is also so hard for men to admit that they are less than they could have been or less than their son is - as evidenced too by how many refuse to consider restoration even once they HAVE agreed to leave a son intact. And I think that some of them want to stay ignorant... whether consciously or not. They just can't handle the possibility that they may learn that they were wrong.

love and peace.

mama to two girls and due in November!
: Circumcision can never be undone :
#29 of 72 Old 10-16-2006, 04:30 PM

OMG, kxsiven! That made me want to cry! How awful!

(I don't normally come over here... was just poking around and saw this thread - I have the same question as the op. Thank goodness my dh didn't really care one way or the other on the issue, so ds is intact...)

My friends who we discussed the issue with before ds was born had VERY superficial reasons for circing - they told me ds would never get a BJ (am I allowed to say that??). My sMIL said, "YES HE WILL" as she smiled at me (I didn't need to know that about FIL!! )

There were other superficial reasons from other friends. I am glad I've got a mind of my own - that's for sure!

Melissa
#30 of 72 Old 10-16-2006, 04:39 PM

that was just icky, icky, icky...

I wish I had not read that. I knew about that stuff but didn't want to KNOW about it!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page