Military require circumcision? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

#61 of 62 Old 07-06-2014, 07:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Interesting story, Dave! Makes one think that maybe some doctors collect foreskins in a similar manner to some tribes who (historically) collected scalps!

There is no doubt that many have an obsession about cutting foreskins off, and in cases where there is an issue (no matter how minor), they rarely offer the more benign, alternative solution that preserves the foreskin. Obviously, intact guys need to be well educated, as you proved, in order to keep that valuable organ. Bizarre !!
applejuice likes this.
#62 of 62 Old 07-08-2014, 01:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
There do seem to be stories out there (or maybe one story posted multiple times) about military doctors having a jar of foreskins in formaldehyde sitting on their desks. (Never been my experience, thankfully!)

In my own experiences, I'm not sure if my doctors had "an obsession about cutting foreskin off" as it was a combination of two strands of non-critical, non-skeptical thinking: 1) if there's a problem with "A", it goes away if "A" goes away and 2) there's no reason to think ahead to the step after next.

"Doc, it hurts when I move my arm like this!" "Well, then don't move your arm like this!" There is a sort of brutal simplicity to answering a complaint about the foreskin with the recommendation to remove the foreskin - after all, if your foreskin is irritated, you wouldn't have the irritation without the foreskin. You don't even need to have a particularly dim view of the foreskin to see this view as internally consistent.

Looking back at my previous comment, I think I might have oversold my story. The doctors didn't look at me and immediately demand that I let them circumcise me; circumcision was offered up an elegant solution which would obviate the need for me to even worry about my foreskin again. I think the docs got snippy (ha!) when I didn't immediately acknowledge the superior logic of their comments, regardless of whether I was up for considering circumcision. And in the second case, I think some of the doc's annoyance might have been due to a complete lack of bedside manner. I was still recovering from an infection and the side effects of the antibiotics which killed off the infection, so I wasn't exactly firing on all cylinders. I've been told I can present as a bit of a "dumb jock" in those sorts of situations, and I probably lived up to that, since most of the small talk we made was sparked by us recognizing each other from the gym and how I found lifting to be a great stress reliever. I don't think he appreciated how a quiet, amiable, not-quite-all-there guy suddenly got real focused when he started talking about circumcision.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page