Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 04-30-2003, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...nsitivity_dc_1

Circumcision Does Not Dull Sensitivity: Study
Tue Apr 29,12:47 PM ET

NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - Circumcised men appear to have the same degree of penis sensitivity as men who are uncircumcised, a new study suggests -- in a finding that will probably just add fuel to the fire of a controversial subject debated for years.

The findings are to be presented Tuesday by Dr. Arnold Melman at a meeting of the American Urological Society in Chicago.

"We demonstrated that there are no significant differences in penile sensation between circumcised and uncircumcised men in both patients with and without erectile dysfunction," said Melman in a prepared statement.

"This study does not address whether or not patients should be circumcised, however, it merely served to test sensitivity," added Melman, who is with Montefiore Medical Center in New York City.

That story was on the Yahoo front page for a few hours, then bumped down by other stories (like the Osbourne teen in rehab).:

I'm so mad. HOW can a circ NOT to dull sensitivity???

Can anybody offer any enlightenment?

(My son is circ'd. DH wanted it. I caved to pressure, eventhough I did not want it done. If I have another son, he will be intact. But DH (like so many men on the planet) are convinced that there is no difference/harm. This "study" doesn't help newborn American males.)

10 - boy
5.5 - girl
#2 of 12 Old 04-30-2003, 08:41 PM

I am strongly anti-circ. I believe there are lots of compelling reasons not to circ, and no compelling reasons to circ. (Not "no reasons to circ." "No compelling reasons to circ.") I don't know all the details of the study, so I can't speak to how they tested penis sensitivity...but I'm thinking that in my personal (totally limited, totally nonscientific, probably totally irrelevant) experience--with circ'ed partners and with one circ'ed and one intact son--I don't know that decreased sensitivity is a universal and unavoidable hazard of circ'ing. My point is, if it isn't...so what? That doesn't detract an iota from the other, many and varied, compelling arguments against it. No, publicizing this study doesn't help. But only in the sense that it supports one lame point in the non-arguable position that circ'ing is totally fine. Concede to them the "not-necessarily-less-sensitive" point. It doesn't defeat the overwhelming arguments on risk, pain, trauma, etc. etc. etc. ad infinitum.

Remember how people used to firmly believe that smoking pot would make you absolutely insane? Well, no, it doesn't. That doesn't mean it's healthy. Non-insanity is beside the point.
#3 of 12 Old 05-01-2003, 02:04 AM

The thing you have to realize is that the man who did this study is circumcised so he has no understanding of what to test to get a real comparison. Alfred Kinsey, the famous sex researcher, did the same study 50 years ago and it is now known why he didn't find a difference. Melman simply walked down the same path and fell into the same trap.

Melman tested the intact men with their foreskins retracted which totally ignored the sexual sensations of the foreskin which are significant. Melman also didn't test for tactile sensitivity which is significant for intact men and insignificant for circumcised men.

The truth is this study was not done for the advancement of science and knowledge. It was done for the advancement of an agenda.

Frank
#4 of 12 Old 05-04-2003, 12:50 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Most circed men will argue their penises are just fine, and very sensitive. They have nothing to compare it to, though - they do not know what they are missing.
#5 of 12 Old 05-04-2003, 12:59 AM

I read a story-- I cna't cite it, it was awhile ago- that was featured on the Dr. Dean Edell program that found that circ'ed penile skin was 10 layers think and non circ'ed skin was 2 layers think or something like that and Dr. Dean explained how circ'ed penile skin was a mucous membrane type skin turned callous. That essentially the circ'ed penis is one big callous. THey also tested for sensitivity and the circ'ed males scored way lower, but that probably wasn't a headline because it didn't justify mass ritualized sexual abuse of children.
Lauren
#6 of 12 Old 05-04-2003, 07:31 PM

The Study you are speaking about was done buy Cold & Taylor. It can be found at the CIRP website.

Frank
#7 of 12 Old 05-04-2003, 08:12 PM

You rock Frank.
#8 of 12 Old 05-15-2003, 05:18 PM

Well as a circumcised male, I can assure evryone that you most certainly do lose sensitivity. I can remember as a child the sensitivity of my glans and compare it to the much reduced sensitivity today. I sincerely wish that I hade never been circumcised!
#9 of 12 Old 05-16-2003, 11:28 PM

my dad told me the same thing. he was circ'ed @ 21 yrs.
L
#10 of 12 Old 05-17-2003, 02:44 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Circ used to be required for the military. I hear a lot of sad stories like that.
#11 of 12 Old 05-17-2003, 09:27 PM

If all the tastebuds were ripped from my tongue as a newborn I also would claim "I love eating food and it tastes great," after all I'd still have my sense of smell.

:
#12 of 12 Old 05-19-2003, 03:46 AM

Good point and well put

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page