phimosis? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-06-2007, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i know that it is normal for a baby's foreskin opening to be very small, but i can't help but be just a wee bit concerned about ds's foreskin opening. it's just that it is so so extremely tiny. i mean, for now it's fine... pee gets out, but i pulled at it just a tiny bit to see if i could see his pee hole at all and i couldent even the slightest bit cause the opening is THAT small. it's gonna have to come a REALLY long way to EVER be retractable at all. plz, no flames about trying to peek in there, i was very very gentle and not forceful and it didn't bother him or irritate his penis one iota... i know how to try and look without forcing or hurting my son. maybe im concerned because my oldest ds's was so different... though it wasn't retractable till age 3 or 4, you could pull it back and see the pee hole from birth. is there any way to know if he'll have problems later? im very very adamantly against circ, so even if a doc was to tell me now i needed to cause of the tiny opening i'd refuse as long as the pee is getting out, but i can't help but to worry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2007, 03:56 PM

What you are seeing is 100% normal. What you have to remember is that the tip of the foreskin is made up of a sphincter just like the anus and when he needs to pee it relaxes but when it rest it will tighten down to keep debree out.

My ds's is the same way extra tiny hole but on the rare occasion when I have seen him go pee it does open way up.

It is just a variation of normal.

I know it is hard to not worry because of all the misinformation out there. I worry some as well. But unless your son is repeatedly retracted there is no reason to believe he will have problems later on.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

Old 01-06-2007, 05:42 PM

Think of it this way, if you lived in a non-circumcising country, the threat of penis problems wouldn't cross your mind. If you had a daughter, would you be checking her pee hole and worrying if it was too small?

Tis the season, for hot apple cider!
Old 01-06-2007, 06:57 PM

It is completely normal for the opening of the foreskin to be/appear very small. My older son's seemed literally the size of a pinhead till he was about 8 years old, and then something released or relaxed or change, and almost overnight he became fully retractable. The process of separation and retractability is very variable, and unique to every boy. As long as he is not having difficulty uriniating, you're fine.

Have a look at this explanation:
http://www.cirp.org/library/normal/catzel/

Gillian
Old 01-06-2007, 07:05 PM

I've never seen my son's meatus/pee hole and his foreskin opening is tiny, just like it's supposed to be. As long as he can pee, he's fine. No worries!
Old 01-06-2007, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter

thanks so much everyone for the awesome responses. i can say this is one time i really do feel better after posting a concern about something. i have heard it was normal, but sometimes stuff just worries a person anyways and they need some reassurance i guess. it's sad to me that because i live in this society and want to keep my son whole i have developed a fear that he'll "need" to be circumcised for some reason.

User Tag List