Intactivism - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-14-2007, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have tried writing to my local state reps/senators, but I'm getting negative responses. Probably because I live in Michigan, one of the most circ happy places in the world. Here's one my state senator's response to my letter requesting that Medicaid drop funding for RIC:

Dear Ms. (Last Name):

Thank you for your recent e-mail correspondence in regard to Medicaid covering neo-natal circumcisions.

In researching this, I learned that testimony on this topic was offered to the Senate Appropriations Committee members during the 2006 budget hearings. However, neither the Senate sub-committee nor full Appropriations committee opted to eliminate this coverage.

At the present time, the Medicaid will pay for circumcision unless the parent opts out. The decision is not based upon the potential of monetary reimbursement but on medical reasoning. I truly believe physicians and patients should work together to make informed medical decisions.

Again, thank you for writing to share your opinions. I am always interested in hearing from my constituents.

Sincerely,
John Pappageorge
State Senator
13th District

Here's my response:

Dear Senator Pappageorge,

I would like to point out a few facts on routine infact circumcision:

* Circumcision is no longer recommended by the American Academy of Pediatrics, or any other national or international medical association, as numerous studies have not been able to prove any benefit
* Circumcision is painful and usually performed without anesthetic
* The risks of circumcision including excessive bleeding, infection, surgical mistakes, and death
* Circumcision results in a loss of sensitivity and may result in sexual disfunction
* Circumcision is illegal to perform on female infants.

I do not want my tax money to pay for this!

Sincerely,
Jennifer (Last Name)

Expecting a boy? Be sure to check out MDC's Case Against Circumcision!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2007, 07:41 PM

Your response to his email is great!

OUR DAUGHTERS ARE PROTECTED SHOULDN'T OUR SONS BE TOO! :
Old 02-14-2007, 08:40 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. I'm also looking for other ideas. What else can I do?

Expecting a boy? Be sure to check out MDC's Case Against Circumcision!
Old 02-14-2007, 09:00 PM

Excellent response! Maybe you could post in your tribal area and find other mamas willing to write as well. If they hear from more than one person in your area then they'll be more likely to look into the issue Keep up the good work!

love and peace.

mama to two girls and due in November!
: Circumcision can never be undone :
Old 02-15-2007, 12:56 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
At least you got a response. I wrote to all my representatives in both my current state and my home state asking them to support the MGM Bill. No response from anyone. Period. :

Mandy, )O(  Proud mommy of Taylor (1/6/05) jammin.gifand Abigail (4/21/11) slinggirl.gif
Loving wife of my gamer boy Michael. modifiedartist.gifBlog link in my profile! ribboncesarean.gif
Old 02-15-2007, 01:23 AM

I was watching a video last night...it was on youtube and they were talking about codex....but...

It stated that every letter, phone call or e-mail to a member of congress is counted as 1300. The reasoning being that for every 1 person that makes the effort, there are 1299 that feel the same but decide not to, are too lazy to or don't think to write or call.

Victim of Birth Rape & Coerced ribboncesarean.gifUnnecesareanribboncesarean.gif What makes people think they can cut up someone else's genitals? nocirc.gif

User Tag List