Phimosis? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 02-15-2007, 12:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone heard of phimosis? How common is this?? Any links?

Reason I ask is because my mom is an RN. She doesn't agree with my decision to not circ my twin boys. She keeps telling me that they're going to get phimosis, and they'll have to be circ'ed anyway.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 25 Old 02-15-2007, 12:20 AM

Kalynn,

I will let the experts answer this one. I am an RN as well. Don't circumcise your poor little boys.

You can read my story here:

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...&postcount=278
#3 of 25 Old 02-15-2007, 12:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalenandEllasmomma View Post
Kalynn,

I will let the experts answer this one. I am an RN as well. Don't circumcise your poor little boys.

You can read my story here:

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...&postcount=278
thanks! no, they aren't circ'ed, my mom has been giving me a hard time about it..
#4 of 25 Old 02-15-2007, 12:33 AM

Check this article out:

http://www.cirp.org/library/treatment/phimosis/dewan/

Phimosis doesn't happen often and when it does, circumcision is definitely not the only treatment and certainly invasive surgery would be the LAST thing that I would try, not the first.

What phimosis is:

http://www.cirp.org/library/treatment/phimosis/

love and peace.

mama to two girls and due in November!
: Circumcision can never be undone :
#5 of 25 Old 02-15-2007, 12:34 AM

Phimosis is when the foreskin is non retractable. There are 2 different kinds of phimosis the first is normal and it accounts for almost all cases.

Boys are born with there foreskin attached to the glans like a finger nail to the nail bed. Gradually over time it starts to retract. The attachments break down and the tip of the foreskin becomes looser allowing retraction to occur. This can happen at any time during the years of growing up all the way into adulthood on occasion and it is normal.

The second form of phimosis is caused by trauma to the foreskin ie repeat forced retraction. Or untreated infections. It causes scar tissue to form and makes the tip of the foreskin become harder to stretch.

The treatment for the second type of phimosis is stretching along with steroid cream to resolve the issue. There is also a dorsal slit that can be done to avoid circ.

The first type of phimosis can be treated with stretching and/or steroid cream as well but it is only a problem if the owner of the penis is experiencing pain with erections.

The very last resort would be circ and odds are it will not be needed with proper care of the intact penis ie leave it alone.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#6 of 25 Old 02-15-2007, 12:41 AM

Surgery should be the last resort for Phimosis. There are many other ways to deal with it before surgery becomes necessary.

It is HIGHLY over diagnosed in this country by cut happy doctors who don;t know anything about an intact penis other than how to cut it.

The foreskin does not retract sometimes into puberty. Any doctor that tells you that a 2 year old for example who is not retractable has phimosis is either looking for $$$ to do a circumcision or incredibly misinformed.

As long as your son can pass urine, he's fine. Don't ever retract him or let anyone else do it and you should have no problems at all.

80% of the worlds men are intact....They have made it to adulthood everyday without their forskins attacking them....tell your mother that she is incredibly misinformed and since she is dealing with patients and more and more of them are being left intact, that she really needs to do some reading and educate herself on the truth rather than continuing to spew untruths, lies and myths.

Victim of Birth Rape & Coerced ribboncesarean.gifUnnecesareanribboncesarean.gif What makes people think they can cut up someone else's genitals? nocirc.gif
#7 of 25 Old 02-15-2007, 12:42 AM

xpost with MCatLvrMom2A&X...sorry

Victim of Birth Rape & Coerced ribboncesarean.gifUnnecesareanribboncesarean.gif What makes people think they can cut up someone else's genitals? nocirc.gif
#8 of 25 Old 02-15-2007, 01:12 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you!! This is so informative. I can have some information wheh my mom gives me a hard time. She says she sees this a lot (she works in the ER)

Everytime I mention something about them not being circ'ed she always talks about what can go wrong :
#9 of 25 Old 02-15-2007, 01:18 AM

I don't have the statistics. But you might mention the high rate of penile adhesions in circumcised boys to her the next time she starts that. :-)
#10 of 25 Old 02-15-2007, 01:24 AM

Don't forget the adhesions that are caused by improper care in intact boys. Parents, doctors, nurses and caregivers that think you need to retract and clean underneath it.

#11 of 25 Old 02-15-2007, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalenandEllasmomma View Post
I don't have the statistics. But you might mention the high rate of penile adhesions in circumcised boys to her the next time she starts that. :-)
That and the 10% complication rate of meatal stenosis which often requires MORE surgery to fix (added to the surgery of the circumcision itself) and only occurs in circumcised boys.

love and peace.

#12 of 25 Old 02-15-2007, 01:41 AM

I believe there is is study...someone here might have a link (I don't seem to have bookmarked it) showing that the precentage of babies that need to be recircumcised because of a problem or bad result is the same as the number of boys that need to be circumcised later.

If you pair this information up with the number of boys who are treated improperly either by premature retraction or cut happy doctors that find a reason to cut when there is none...you can see that the number that actually need to be cut later is most likely much lower than the ones that have to be recircumcised.

#13 of 25 Old 02-15-2007, 02:27 AM

i would completely believe that, purely anecdotal but i can not tell you how many boys ive read about online and know irl that have had to go in for a recirc.

kills me every single time i hear about it. i just want to scream.
#14 of 25 Old 02-15-2007, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrestorm View Post
80% of the worlds men are intact....They have made it to adulthood everyday without their foreskins attacking them....

#15 of 25 Old 02-15-2007, 04:23 AM

Many american doctors will diagnose phimosis in perfectly health, normal, not yet retractable boys. They don't need to retract at any given age but some Drs think they should by 3, 6, whatever arbitrary age that they heard once when they were in medical school (if it was mentioned at all.) That Dr will cry phimosis and jump with glee to perform a circ.

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos
#16 of 25 Old 02-15-2007, 11:36 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
As the PPs have pointed out , many North American Drs misdiagnose a tight foreskin for phimosis. In almost all cases, if this is a problem, it can be resolved with the use of Betamethasone cream and simple stretching. Failing that, there are several methods of preputioplasty, where small longitudinal cuts in the tight part are sutured transversely, effectively widening it. This method preserves all the form and function of the foreskin. A Dorsal slit destroys the frenar band and can look unsightly. And of course, a full circumcision is a disaster !!
True phimosis is very rare, and caused by trauma to the foreskin or BXO. There is some evidence that BXO (similar to Lichen schlerosis) can be treated with carbon dioxide laser.
Check out the links provided be Melissa. There is a LOT of information at www.cirp.org.
I hope you manage to educate your mother so that she, in turn, can educate the people she works with.
#17 of 25 Old 02-15-2007, 11:43 AM

Sees a lot in the ER? I pray my ds is never unconscious & requires a urine sample in HER ER.

Phimosis is a misdiagnosis before puberty, period.
#18 of 25 Old 02-15-2007, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, thanks guys! I feel better prepared next time she starts in on me. And to be honest, I was questioning our decision, but now I feel confident that we made the right decision for our boys (I forgot to mention their ages, they're 4mos)
#19 of 25 Old 02-15-2007, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerTail View Post
Sees a lot in the ER? I pray my ds is never unconscious & requires a urine sample in HER ER.

Phimosis is a misdiagnosis before puberty, period.
Yeah, why would this ever be an issue in an emergency room?: Sounds like they see the child for some other reason, and just happen to notice that he is not yet retractable, and this gets labeled as "pathological" when in fact the child is normal.

Single mom of 2 boys
#20 of 25 Old 02-15-2007, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benji'sMom View Post
Yeah, why would this ever be an issue in an emergency room?: Sounds like they see the child for some other reason, and just happen to notice that he is not yet retractable, and this gets labeled as "pathological" when in fact the child is normal.
I think my mom was talking about grown men, but that is a good point. She thinks that my boys will grow up mad that I didn't circ them :
#21 of 25 Old 02-15-2007, 12:44 PM

I guess the rest of the worlds men and boys penises are just going to rot and fall off!! How has the rest of the world surivived with there intact forskins? If she sees this 'all the time' in the ER i find that hard to believe with such a low rate in older men:

Living DAIRY AND GLUTEN FREE for my SPD and Aspergers Little Man.
#22 of 25 Old 02-15-2007, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NamastePlatypus View Post
I guess the rest of the worlds men and boys penises are just going to rot and fall off!! How has the rest of the world surivived with there intact forskins? If she sees this 'all the time' in the ER i find that hard to believe with such a low rate in older men:
It's a scare tactic like all the doctors that have seen kids die from chicken pox since the vaccine came out.

The tide is turning and the old school needs to hang on to what they are familiar with...otherwise, they will have to admit to how many boys and men have been mutilated and injured in thier care.

#23 of 25 Old 02-15-2007, 05:34 PM

I absolutely love this article:
http://www.cirp.org/library/normal/
Show that one to your Mom, apparently her information is a bit outdated

Take care,
Tara

Tara Momma to Callum and Gavin
#24 of 25 Old 02-15-2007, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calngavinsmom View Post
I absolutely love this article:
http://www.cirp.org/library/normal/
Show that one to your Mom, apparently her information is a bit outdated

Take care,
Tara
Great article...I had missed that one...bookmarking now.

#25 of 25 Old 02-15-2007, 05:55 PM

My dh is definitely not mad that his parents left him intact! He's thrilled (as am I) : I do know several circumcised men (and/or their wives) who are mad at their parents for permanently altering their body without permission...

love and peace.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page