Phimosis - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 34 Old 05-03-2007, 01:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anybody have a child and dealt with phimosis and had to have the child circed because of it? My oldest is not circed but his foreskin will not retract.. at all.. There is just enough skin loose at the tip for him to be able to urinate correctly. He is almost 3 now.. his brother (almost 2) is able to be pulled back all of the way (I believe in part from constant caths, but still)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 34 Old 05-03-2007, 01:52 AM
Fi.

Your son is completely normal. Kids aren't really supposed to be reactile at that age. You don't have to worry until he's non-retractile at 18. Which is incredibly rare as long as he can pee fine and he's not in pain.

As far as your second son...if someone's pulling his foreskin back to cath then you need to be suing for malpractice right now because that is beyond wrong. The foreskin should not be pulled back or touched by ANYONE except the owner for any reason. If someone is retracting your son for any reason that's wrong and can actually CAUSE phimosis.

Long distance Mom to boarding school superstars E (9) and Layne (6).
#3 of 34 Old 05-03-2007, 01:54 AM

It is perfectly normal to not retract until much later. Your child is fine.

-Angela
#4 of 34 Old 05-03-2007, 02:01 AM - Thread Starter

Wow. Thanks for the quick responses. I know its normal now.. but later on is what I am more worried about.. I guess I should have put that in my post I just want to think that even if it is not retracting later that he will not have to have surgery..

As far as my youngest.. there is not getting around the frequent caths. He has spina bifida.
#5 of 34 Old 05-03-2007, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khourtniey View Post
Wow. Thanks for the quick responses. I know its normal now.. but later on is what I am more worried about.. I guess I should have put that in my post I just want to think that even if it is not retracting later that he will not have to have surgery..

As far as my youngest.. there is not getting around the frequent caths. He has spina bifida.

Well, worry about it when he's 18. Really, it's WAY off.

And you don't need to retract to cath.

-Angela
#6 of 34 Old 05-03-2007, 02:05 AM

Don't worry yourself about the later "what ifs" - virtually all boys will be retractable by the end of puberty, and if for some reason he weren't, surgery is a distant "last" in terms of how to deal with this. Your son is totally normal, and his foreskin will take care of itself. Just enjoy him!

Gillian
#7 of 34 Old 05-03-2007, 03:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
Well, worry about it when he's 18. Really, it's WAY off.

And you don't need to retract to cath.

-Angela
The tip of my youngest sons foreskin is really tight so in order for him to be cathed it does have to be moved some. Otherwise no access to his urinary tract
#8 of 34 Old 05-03-2007, 03:16 AM

Most (but not necessarily all) males will be fully retractable by the end of puberty. You should not try to retract him at all.

If your youngest is able to urinate, then there's enough of an opening for them to do a catheter without retracting. Even what some people consider "gentle" retraction can cause tears in the skin, infection, scar tissue and so on.

- Kira
#9 of 34 Old 05-03-2007, 04:38 AM

If by some off chance your older son were still not retractible by the time he was ready to start having relations so to speak and it bothered him there are simple treatments like creams and excercises, but since that is well over a decade away these treatments may be totally out moded by then.

Next time your younger DS needs a cath see if you can get one of the NICU nurses to do it since they are more used to doing it on intact boys.

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos
#10 of 34 Old 05-03-2007, 04:54 AM - Thread Starter

We use the NICU nurses for a lot of things They are truly lifesavers, have only used them a few times for cathing but I will do that next time.

Thanks!
#11 of 34 Old 05-03-2007, 08:00 PM

If you read the sticky at the top of the main CAC page called The Definition Of Retraction & Why It Is BAD!!!! there is a detailed discription of the proper way to cath a intact penis.

Like everyone else said your oldest son is 100% normal.

There are 2 different kinds of phimosis. Normal phimosis of the young baby and boy. Almost all infants/young boys/even some teens will not be able to retract. This is a normal part of development. As puberty approaches is when most become retractable due to the hormones.

The second kind is called aquired or pathalogical phimosis. It is usually caused by repeat forced retraction or repeat untreated infections. The tip of the foreskin becomes so scared that the stretching ability is lost. If this happens sometimes surgery is required to fix the problem. But in most cases simple stretching with or without the aid of steroid cream will fix the issue. If it dosnt then a simple cut can be made at the tip to make the hole larger so that it will slide back over the glans.

Unless a child is repeatedly retracted or suffers from repeated untreated infections he has the normal kind of phimosis.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#12 of 34 Old 05-03-2007, 10:35 PM

your son is too young to have pathological phimosis- please see the links below

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...highlight=poll

http://www.nocirc.org/publish/4pam.pdf

The Greek word phimosis means muzzled and is
used – often incorrectly – to refer to a foreskin that
cannot be retracted (for whatever reason). A
comprehensive discussion of phimosis is beyond
the scope of this pamphlet. What parents should
know is that almost all babies have non-retractable
foreskins, that this is normal, and that the
foreskins of most males become fully retractable
by the time they are 18. It is also important to
know that many adult males with non-retractable
foreskins are perfectly happy with them that way.
Adult males with non-retractable foreskins who
would rather their foreskins were retractable can
easily and safely stretch their foreskin opening
until it is large enough to slip comfortably over
their glans. A non-retractable foreskin is not, in itself,
an indication for circumcision.
#13 of 34 Old 11-03-2007, 10:07 PM

wat do i do if my 13 yer old son is still not reactile yet and is very embaressed about it. plz giv me some advice: i am very worried wat shall i do
#14 of 34 Old 11-03-2007, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cazza View Post
wat do i do if my 13 yer old son is still not reactile yet and is very embaressed about it. plz giv me some advice: i am very worried wat shall i do
Embaressed? First I would definitely try to find out where that is coming from. Not being retractable at 13 is normal. Some studies show only 40-55% of boys at age ten being retractable.

http://www.cirp.org/library/normal/

Usually, once he has begun masturbation coupled with the hormones released in puberty, the foreskin will become retractable. If he gets to be further on in his teenage years (18 or so) and is still not retracting, there are numerous methods:

http://www.cirp.org/library/treatment/phimosis/beauge/

Stretching, creams, etc have all been shown to be effective.

"Parents are simply trustees; they do not own the bodies of their children"-Norm Cohen  Martial arts instructor intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif and mom to 4: DD1 (1/05) DS (7/06) DD2 (5/08) DD3 (2/11)
#15 of 34 Old 11-03-2007, 10:34 PM

More on conservative treatments of phimosis if he gets to be older and it is still a problem:

http://www.cirp.org/library/treatment/phimosis/

"Parents are simply trustees; they do not own the bodies of their children"-Norm Cohen  Martial arts instructor intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif and mom to 4: DD1 (1/05) DS (7/06) DD2 (5/08) DD3 (2/11)
#16 of 34 Old 11-03-2007, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Hi and

I see you're new here would you like one of us to start a new thread for you? More people would see the new thread and be able to help.

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos
#17 of 34 Old 11-04-2007, 12:49 PM

yes plz if you could start a new thread that would be great
#18 of 34 Old 11-04-2007, 03:42 PM

OP - I know you know that your oldest son is completely normal now! I just wanted to chime in to reassure you...my dh is intact, and he wasn't retractable until around 16-17 years old.

My ds is 4 years old and hasn't started the separation process at all, as far as I can tell - I think he'll just take after his dad, and be late to retract...
#19 of 34 Old 11-04-2007, 06:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am just curious and would like to be educated. Doesn't the foreskin need to be fully retractable before it's possible to have sexual relations? I saw an earlier post that mentioned that some grown men have foreskins that are not fully retractable and are perfectly fine with it. So, I wonder.....how are relations if you are not fully retractable?

:
#20 of 34 Old 11-04-2007, 06:27 PM

If you have a long foreskin (or maybe even a really stretchy one- not sure if that is possible ) the penis can be erect and the foreskin will still be covering the head. I think even normal length foreskins can still be covering during an erection, but I haven't had that experience. Also, some just prefer not to retract it and like the feeling of retracting it at diferent points during sex. you can read some opinions on this here:

http://www.norm-uk.org/what_intact_men_say.html

I think it's a 'different strokes for different folks' type situation. Sperm still comes out the hole and it's still erect, so physically it's still working the same way...though someone with more experience can probably give more info!

#21 of 34 Old 11-04-2007, 06:47 PM

when do you think my 13 year old son will be reactile, he is in puerty as he has a lot of hair under arms and on legs i have noticed. he is shaving his bumbfluff of lol but why is he still not reactile yet ?
#22 of 34 Old 11-04-2007, 06:52 PM

my 13year old son is in puberty he has bin in it a while now and is still not reactile when do you think he will be?. he's shaving of his bumbfluff
#23 of 34 Old 11-04-2007, 07:26 PM

Quote:
my 13year old son is in puberty he has bin in it a while now and is still not reactile when do you think he will be?. he's shaving of his bumbfluff
Here's the thread for you:

http://mothering.com/discussions/sho...d.php?t=783726
#24 of 34 Old 11-04-2007, 08:25 PM

cazza The answer is he will become retractable when nature means for him to.

A man can have sex just fine without ever retracting. The foreskin dosnt slide back and forth as much is all. It still will shift back and forth but you wont get the full gliding action. It is fine either way.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#25 of 34 Old 11-07-2007, 04:29 AM

Hi

Since March this year, my toddler son has been expriencing pain on 4-5 separate occasions while passing urine. We have given him froban cream and on 1 occasion, oral antibiotics only to have the problem recur soon after.

According to pediatricians, it is due to a very tight foreskin (pinhole meatus). Acting on the doc's instructions, we have tried applying a hydrocort cream and gently pulling the skin back in a bid to get it to open up, for a month, without success. (We are not sure if we are doing it right and have refrained from applying too much force in case it hurts the child.)

The docs are now recommending circumcision as a permanent solution.

I would be grateful for any informed advice you may have on the following :

(i) is circumcision really necessary ?
(ii) how real is the risk of kidney damage if we do have him circumcised ?
(iii) other than regular cleaning, what are the things to note to keep this problem at bay ?
(iv) is circumcision going to be traumatic on the child ? (He turns 3 in Jan 08.) I am terribly concerned how he is going to cope with the post-circumcision pain and satisfying ourselves, as parents, that we have indeed explored all options before subjecting him to this.
(v) I have read and seen pics which confirms my fears that it will be a bloody and painful procedure. Any 1st hand experience that you can share ? How long is the recovery process ? What can the parents do to help lessen the pain ?
(vi) in cases of "true phimosis", will the foreskin retract when they grow older ? At what age generally ?

Thanks a bundle.
#26 of 34 Old 11-07-2007, 04:42 AM

(i) is circumcision really necessary ? from what you described no in no way shape or form is circ needed.

(ii) how real is the risk of kidney damage if we do have him circumcised ?There is none to my knowledge since he can pee just fine. From what you said he is only having pain on occasion and when seperation is under way that is totally normal. The tip of the foreskin is a sphincter just like the anus and when not in use it clamps down giving the impression it is super tiny. But when urine needs to come out it looses up.

(iii) other than regular cleaning, what are the things to note to keep this problem at bay ?There is nothing special you need to do other than not let him sit in soapy water or leave soap on him and never retract or allow anyone else to attempt to retract him.

(iv) is circumcision going to be traumatic on the child ? (He turns 3 in Jan 08.) I am terribly concerned how he is going to cope with the post-circumcision pain and satisfying ourselves, as parents, that we have indeed explored all options before subjecting him to this. It would be very traumatic for him not and very unneccissary as well not only traumatic now but it will permanatly affect his sex life. The only true reasons to circ are cancer, gangrene, frostbite and irriparable accident damage. As you can imagine all those are very rare.

(v) I have read and seen pics which confirms my fears that it will be a bloody and painful procedure. Any 1st hand experience that you can share ? How long is the recovery process ? What can the parents do to help lessen the pain ?

(vi) in cases of "true phimosis", will the foreskin retract when they grow older ? At what age generally ?at your ds's age there is no way he has the bad kind of phimosis and he is right at the age were seperation can start and we see a lot of posts of boys with pain at this age. Any one under 18 then he does not have phimosis at least not the bad kind. All boys foreskins are fused to the glans until seperation happens which can take up to adulthood. Any time before that and it is not retracting and it is not causing pain for the boy it isnt a problem. If it is causing pain then the boy can do simple stretching to lossen it up. But no one but the owner of the penis should try to get it to retract.

It sounds like to me that your ds is just going through some simple seperation issues and it is really nothing that needs to be done. Check out this thread http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=764732 does that sound familiar with your ds?

The dr telling you to try to retract him tells me that your dr is not familiar with the AAP and no retraction statement.

The dr recommending circ for occasional pain is like them saying you need your finger amputated for a hang nail way overkill.

#27 of 34 Old 11-07-2007, 05:03 AM

Please dont allow your son to be circed. His foreskin is valuable to him and what he has even if it is a infection can be treated if done the right way.

A swab should be taken to see exactly what if anything is growing and then the proper abx prescribed. Like in the link I provided if it is seperation it comes and goes fast with no real signs of infection.

This is one of the issues here at mdc and the cac forum we are fighting to change. Dr. in the USA are only taught how to cut the foreskin off in medical school. They dont know how the natural uncut penis works and it is a very dangerous thing because boys are being cut later for no real reason.

I am glad you are taking the time to research this and I hope and pray you find the right answers.

If you lived in Europe this would not even be a issue the Dr's would know that he was going through seperation and tell you that. I am sorry you are having to deal with this.

Oh and to the forum.

Oh and to get more responces you should copy and paste your original post under a new title so that people will see it faster.

#28 of 34 Old 11-07-2007, 05:35 AM

MCatLvrMom2A&X

Many thanks for your prompt replies and the reading materials.

My son turns 3 year old in 2 months' time.

On normal days, he can pee just fine but not before some ballooning. And on those occasions where he complains of pain, he is afraid to pass urine. He becomes leaky and often end up wetting his pants. A pungent odour may also be detected in the urine during such times. This will go on for a few days until the condition clears with medication.

According to the doctors, there is risks of damage to kidneys when urine backflow occurs during an infection. And herein lies my biggest worry. (Of the 4-5 occasions, the hospital did a lab tests and found slight infection in 1. Oral antibiotics was duly prescribed.)

If there is absoluetly no danger of damage to kidneys, I'm quite prepared to leave things as they are and just wait until the foreskin eventually retracts by itself. I just do not wish to put my son thru circumcision unless this is strictly necessary. I'm somewhat confused as the docs seemed very sure of their prescribed treatment.

Thanks again.
#29 of 34 Old 11-07-2007, 05:38 AM

Forgot to add -- I live in Singapore.

The standard of medical care here is considered good and all doctors have to be registered before they can practise.
#30 of 34 Old 11-07-2007, 05:52 AM

I can assure you that simple ballooning and some pain is totally normal and will not damage his kidneys. Untreatedinfections could but odds are if there is a infection you will know it and get meds so that isnt a issue.

I would expect better from a country that dosnt circ but I have seen it all here on this board.

Infections are treated via anti biotics not by cutting off body parts. Did you read the link I provided??

I would bet you my last dollar his pain is from seperation since he is also ballooning both are totally normal and can happen. Many boys here have had it. It is just part of the normal development.

The only way your ds would have kidney damage was if he had urinary reflux but even if he had that cutting off his foreskin would not help anything.

If he does get another infection it needs to be cultured to see exactly what bacteria is present. Since the wrong abx can cause a recurrance making it appear as tho it is repeat infections when in fact it is the original infection that wasnt cleared up.

I am sure more woman will chime in later since it is the middle of the night here most are sleeping, like I wish I was

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page