article claims plastibell= no cutting or pain - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 47 Old 05-12-2007, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
http://www.theage.com.au/news/nation...899169224.html

Quote:
THREE-week old baby Kai goes in to see Dr Terry Russell, and about 15 minutes later he is back with his mother. In a few days his foreskin will drop off.

"He was fine afterwards and came out and fed straight away and then fell asleep," Kai's mum Rebecca Barwick says.

Kai has been circumcised but with no needles, no scalpel, just some anaesthetic cream and a small plastic ring device with a string that pulls tight on the foreskin causing it to lose circulation and later drop off.

The procedure, according to Dr Russell, is "totally painless".

"Parents are simply trustees; they do not own the bodies of their children"-Norm Cohen  Martial arts instructor intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif and mom to 4: DD1 (1/05) DS (7/06) DD2 (5/08) DD3 (2/11)
#2 of 47 Old 05-12-2007, 12:10 PM

fffft.

where's that aussie message board, bub something? wonder what they've got to say.

what's up with our other english-speaking cousins lately? please don't keep stealing our stupid!
#3 of 47 Old 05-12-2007, 12:11 PM

Everyone, give feed back!

Isn't this Australian? Quite surprised they fall on that trap.
#4 of 47 Old 05-12-2007, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter

There is also another article out from Australia claiming circ is making a comeback there:

http://www.theage.com.au/news/nation...899169215.html

"Parents are simply trustees; they do not own the bodies of their children"-Norm Cohen  Martial arts instructor intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif and mom to 4: DD1 (1/05) DS (7/06) DD2 (5/08) DD3 (2/11)
#5 of 47 Old 05-12-2007, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerTail View Post
fffft.

where's that aussie message board, bub something? wonder what they've got to say.

what's up with our other english-speaking cousins lately? please don't keep stealing our stupid!
I PMed you a link. :-)

BTW, Russell is the doctor that was diciplined and fined for preying on parents soliciting unnecessary tongue-tie surgeries to his circumcision clients to make an extra buck...

Jen
#6 of 47 Old 05-12-2007, 01:59 PM

Actually, I have seen a plasti-bell applied (I am a NICU nurse) and there is cutting involved! The still use the blunt separation technique to remove the skin from the glans....then they apply the clamp and place the bell at the desired postion.....then the remove the excess skin above the plasti-bell with the scalpel. Yes, the bell stays on for days and the look is much "cleaner" than with the gompco or mogen but there is still cutting involved.

Rikki ~~ Married Aug 04 ~~ DD Feb 06 ~~ DS Oct 07 ~~ DD April 12

#7 of 47 Old 05-12-2007, 03:52 PM

My 2nd son was circumcised this way. It DID hurt him, it WAS painful and I would never, ever say otherwise. I will say that it APPEARED TO BE less traumatic to his penis and to him overall than the circ that my oldest son had. His was awful. It was bloody, raw and took weeks to heal. He cried at every diaper change for at least a week, no matter how gentle we were.
#8 of 47 Old 05-12-2007, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carriebft View Post
There is also another article out from Australia claiming circ is making a comeback there:

Oh my god. The doctor in this article is talking about circ preventing HPV and Prostate cancer? They keep coming up with things that circ can prevent!:
#9 of 47 Old 05-12-2007, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papai View Post
Oh my god. The doctor in this article is talking about circ preventing HPV and Prostate cancer? They keep coming up with things that circ can prevent!:
Well... my friend got HPV from a circumcised man and my circumcised FIL has had prostate cancer TWICE. So... a fat lot of good being circumcised did those two at least :

love and peace.

mama to two girls and due in November!
: Circumcision can never be undone :
#10 of 47 Old 05-12-2007, 09:35 PM

Kind of like having a torniquet around your toe... except it's your genitals. Yeah, that sounds painless :

Twin boys 04/2005 : Support breastfeeding rights at FirstRight.Org : warrior
Face the rear for MORE than a year! Toddlers' necks are safest in a rear facing carseat
#11 of 47 Old 05-12-2007, 10:11 PM

So very ot but...
how do you rename links?
I would like to put a link in my sig on another board but I don't want it to be the address of the site
help please!

Mama to ds 6/00 and dd 1/09
#12 of 47 Old 05-13-2007, 12:48 AM

Who says cutting and suffocating the clamped off foreskin isn't AS painful, or MORE painful? Baby boys can't speak for themselves. Has anyone ever had an adult Plastibell circ (if they even made such a device, which I know they don't) to state this is being true? It could be an unbearable throbbing while the plastic clamp does its thing.
#13 of 47 Old 05-13-2007, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryJaneLouise View Post
Kind of like having a torniquet around your toe... except it's your genitals. Yeah, that sounds painless :
And, of course, the scraping- doesn't a sharp tool cutting under your clitoral hood sound charming?
#14 of 47 Old 05-13-2007, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Oh my god. The doctor in this article is talking about circ preventing HPV and Prostate cancer?
The countries with the most prostate cancer are the USA, Canada and Australia:
countries with good longevity and most elderly men (right age of prostate cancer) are circed.

Now while this doesn't mean circ leads to prostate cancer, it seems that it has a preventative effect is unlikely.

Prostate cancer is so common in Australia (15% of all male deaths I think), even if only in 1% of these cases circ contributed, it would be quite significant.
#15 of 47 Old 05-13-2007, 11:54 AM

Oh did you know that ripping of the clitoral hood prevents ovarian cancer.

:

People just blindly believe anything just because it's printed on the newspaper.
#16 of 47 Old 05-13-2007, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carriebft View Post

Quote:
On the morning The Sunday Age spoke to Dr Russell, he had already performed five circumcisions by 10am.

He says the majority of parents choose the procedure for health reasons.

"I think a lot of people are deterred by the pain aspect and the risk aspect of the way it used to be done and now that they're seeing reasons for doing it and less risk and no pain, I think they're all flocking back to having it done."
:Puke

Jen
#17 of 47 Old 05-13-2007, 04:22 PM

Yeah, plastibell = licking off by kittens.

Lying sack of doctor.

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#18 of 47 Old 05-13-2007, 04:34 PM
A&A

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Oh yeah, it's magic. Bet you could take a fingernail off "magically" that way, too.

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#19 of 47 Old 05-13-2007, 06:29 PM

Oh, it's the Australian Schoen, Short is another circumnutter who wants to get his hands on every penis he can and denude it. He just LOVES plastibells - he was photographed with a load of them.

Terry Russell is just as bad, another sicko in the Halperin, Bailey, etc. mode, just loves to get the foreskins falling. Everywhere he goes, the rate goes up.

I'm surprised that other circumcision paedo Brian Morris didn't get into that article (he's the one that goes on holiday to watch adolescent boys get circumcised in Africa) as well.

Australia had better watch out, there are some determined perverts-with-power there who are trying to reintroduce it.
#20 of 47 Old 05-13-2007, 07:28 PM

do you think some reputable physicians are afraid to take a stance against circumcision, for fear of repercussions from people in traditionally circing faiths in the ama hierarchy? (this is not discussing anything but what their perception might be, not whether there actually would be, relax.)
#21 of 47 Old 05-13-2007, 09:06 PM

I think, like the States, that it's partially money based. It costs a lot for 15 mins work, and Dr Russell keeps on opening clinics to do it. I have a feeling that he's been personally responsible for the rate rise in Queensland - I read somewhere that he'd got onto the local health board, and it took a year for the local intactivists to get him off of it - but in the meantime the rate rose to nearly 20%. Last time I looked, it was dropping back down again. No idea where I saw that though, and I didn't keep the link, which is a bit unfortunate.

I'm sure Prof. Short must have shares in Hollister or something, he pushes plastibells so much, he always seems to be advocating the plastibell in almost every article I've ever read, and he's been photographed with them too. He was even over here lecturing in Manchester about his work on HIV prevention - which also apparently included circumcision. Maybe he gets his funding from Hollister or a subsidiary or something, I don't know. (When I've got time, I'll try and find out - lots of weird things get explained if you follow the money trail).

They're also lying. Using the plastibell always involves pain and cutting. Why are they telling lies for something that is so obvious and and easy to prove?
#22 of 47 Old 05-13-2007, 09:30 PM

Anybody here from Australia that would be willing to write a letter to the editor of The Age debunking this misinformation? These are outright lies, and deserved to be soundly discredited. I wouldn't think they'd print or take anything as seriously from people writing from outside of Australia, as from Australian residents.

http://www.theage.com.au/contacts/index.html

Gillian
#23 of 47 Old 05-14-2007, 01:42 PM

TigerTail is right on the money.
#24 of 47 Old 05-17-2007, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Oh, it's the Australian Schoen,
Yes, and not only that he keeps in contact with Schoen and quotes from him.

Quote:
Short is another circumnutter who wants to get his hands on every penis he can and denude it.
Not quite right, Short like Morris is not a practicing medical doctor, he just pushes circ.

The latest inference about Russell he is doing at least one botched job a week, though I would have to get some more official information.
#25 of 47 Old 05-18-2007, 12:02 AM

I'm from Australia....I am no good at letters though. I will copy one if somebody can write it.
#26 of 47 Old 05-18-2007, 04:40 PM

They need to be handed link to the Stanford Plastibell teaching video, which is fresh in my mind since I just re-watched it yesterday. There absolutely IS cutting. With sharp, shiny scissors.

In fact, the doctor cuts along the crush line, then tries to pop the glans out, but finds he hasn't cut far enough to do that. So he has to pick the scissors up and cut that baby some more.

The procedure is the same for every circumcision up to a point- the doctor has to insert a blunt instrument under the foreskin and sweep it around (in this video, it seems like an interminably long process). And then he has to cut into the foreskin in order to peel it back away from the glans. How else would he get it uncovered?

They need their little bubble of "no cutting!" happiness burst, in a big way. :

~*Kristi*~
Tallulah Dare 8-01,  Marcos Gael 12-04, Cormac Mateo 9-09, Leonidas Ronan 11-11

#27 of 47 Old 05-18-2007, 04:58 PM

Questions...
1- I'm guessing this is not the plastibell method but some new fangled method. I've never seen a string used with the plastibell method. If he is claiming there is no cutting, it must be a different method.

2- If it was so PAINLESS, why would they need an anesthetic cream (which only numbs the surface by the way)?

3- How can she claim it was painless unless she had seen the procedure? Even then, I've helped Dr.s with circs in the past, and the Dr. will say the baby feels no pain after the anesthetic... But the baby will quiet down and then start screaming again as soon as they clamp or cut.

The article title is grossly biased. No pain but plenty to gain? HAH. Try lots of pain and lots to lose. That's what I think this article should be titled.
#28 of 47 Old 05-18-2007, 06:54 PM

Sarah,
the Plastibell definitely uses a string. It's what cuts off the circulation and causes the skin to die and fall off. Here's a site with pictures of the device and procedure: http://www.circumcisionquotes.com/description.html I don't know why your doctor's method does not involve a string. :

You can also watch the video I linked to above- it shows the whole procedure, string and all. And it also shows the doctor cutting the foreskin away with his scissors after the ring and string are on. I had forgotten how he "trims it up".

So I wrote a letter to them. I figure they report on news from around the world, and on the 'net they know they've got readers from all over. My voice is just as important as the voice of an Australian reader!

Quote:
I was horrified to read your recent article, "No pain, but plenty to gain". I know what is *lost* to circumcision (what amounts to 15 square inches of highly innervated, erogenous tissue in an adult man!) But I've never seen undisputed scientific proof of any benefit.

I'd advise your author to watch the teaching video from Stanford University to see how a Plastibell circumcision is performed, before claiming that there is "no cutting" involved. http://newborns.stanford.edu/Plastibell.html

There may not be a scalpel involved, but a blunt instrument is used to separate the foreskin from the head of the penis, and then the foreskin is cut through with scissors. This allows the doctor to peel back the foreskin and expose the red, bleeding glans, onto which he will place the Plastibell cap.

Visit this website to see pictures of the Plastibell and other instruments used in circumcision: http://noharmm.org/instruments.htm

It sounds so nice and benign to say that the Plastibell's plastic ring causes the foreskin to just "drop off". How does it sound if we describe it as cutting off the blood supply to the foreskin, so that the once-vital and functional tissue necrotizes? Over the course of a week, the skin of this perfect newborn baby dies, turns black, and falls off. It is worthy of mention that this method is associated with a higher incidence of complications than other methods. I do not believe for one minute that it's a painless procedure. It is only that its victims do not have the words to express their agony.

~*Kristi*~

#29 of 47 Old 05-18-2007, 07:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lula's Mom View Post
Sarah,
the Plastibell definitely uses a string. It's what cuts off the circulation and causes the skin to die and fall off. Here's a site with pictures of the device and procedure: http://www.circumcisionquotes.com/description.html I don't know why your doctor's method does not involve a string. :

You can also watch the video I linked to above- it shows the whole procedure, string and all. And it also shows the doctor cutting the foreskin away with his scissors after the ring and string are on. I had forgotten how he "trims it up".

So I wrote a letter to them. I figure they report on news from around the world, and on the 'net they know they've got readers from all over. My voice is just as important as the voice of an Australian reader!
Great job

I wish you have also included the Foreskins protect against HIV evidence/new study. BTW, this link of yours didn't work for me . If you could please give me the link with the info, I'd really appreciate that (I'm so sick an dtired of people claming circ prevents HIV, I would find this link very handy.
thanks,
yulia.
#30 of 47 Old 05-18-2007, 07:54 PM

There were so many things I wanted to include, but I knew their eyes would start to glaze over if it got too long! Since they didn't say anything about HIV, I didn't specifically address it either.

Ohhh, I just realized you were talking about my sig link. Thank you for telling me!! I'll go check it out.

~*Kristi*~

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page