Circumcision Support - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 06-24-2003, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello all! I have been a Mothering reader for several years now after the birth of my first child. I am now expecting a second son in July and after much research, have decided very strongly against circumcision and am only saddened that I was so uninformed with my first son. I have now convinced my mother against the mutilation, but her only concern is the natural retraction of the foreskin. She's still concerned that for some reason, there are going to be problems with this and since those individuals I know who haven't circ'd have small children, I can't provide her with a good example of long-term success. Any suggestions or experience stories would be fantastic!!
#2 of 15 Old 06-24-2003, 02:35 PM

the only thing i can say is check the archives and I have a 9yo and a 4yo sons and neither is circ'd and we have had no problems at all. I know others here will have great links for you. You made a great decision.
#3 of 15 Old 06-24-2003, 04:06 PM

Does this count? My dh is 36 years old, uncirced and has never had any problems. Is that long term success?

c
#4 of 15 Old 06-24-2003, 04:10 PM

Hmm...well, I'm from Italy, so my brother, my father, my cousins, my friends, my boyfriends and about 30 millions of Italian males are intact and I've never heard of a problem of any kind-not on the news not through word of mouth...does that count for anything?

You've made a decision you won't regret!

Ilaria mamma to Owen, Caroline & Patrick .... loving life as expats in Asia intactlact.gifnovaxnocirc.gifuc.jpgnamaste.gif
#5 of 15 Old 06-24-2003, 04:11 PM

Well, not an individual story, but the world at large seems to be fine with foreskins. Would numbers indicating that we're the only country who does this to our baby boys be of significance? Or reminding her that God/Evolution gave it to him and he/it knows better than we do?

Congratulations and good luck!
#6 of 15 Old 06-26-2003, 05:03 PM

Here is an interesting article to print for your information.

Quote:
"There is no reason for parents, physicians, or other caregivers to manipulate a child's penis. The only person to retract a child's foreskin should be the child himself, when he has discovered that his foreskin is ready to retract."

http://mothering.com/10-0-0/html/10-...cision85.shtml
#7 of 15 Old 06-27-2003, 04:05 PM

My BIL is the only one that is intact out of the three brothers. I only know this because he and my SIL told me. :LOL They told me about this before I married into the family. Me being the mainstreamed I was, at the time, was shocked. I thought everyone was circd'. So back on topic, he will be 31 this year and he has never had any problems. They also have an uncle who is in his 50's and no prblems. We now have four people in the family, that I know of, that are intact including my son and his cousin, who is almost two. I am sure they will be perfect as well.
~Earthmama
#8 of 15 Old 06-27-2003, 07:38 PM

My husband is 35 and has never had a problem. Nothing. And he was adamant that our son would remain intact, too. I guess those that have a foreskin know what would be missing if it were removed.
#9 of 15 Old 06-27-2003, 09:02 PM

On the flip-sde, those that have been circumcised DO NOT KNOW WHAT IS MISSING.

How could they know what a foreskin is all about .....
#10 of 15 Old 06-27-2003, 11:23 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks gals! This is all great information...I have to tell you, I feel so great about this decision because IT MAKES SO MUCH SENSE!! Thanks for your support - and success stories.
#11 of 15 Old 06-28-2003, 10:42 AM

I have a 74 year old Uncle, an 82 year old neighbor and a 76 year old acquaintance. Both the Uncle and neighbor are still sexually active and the acquaintance was until he was widowed 2 years ago. They never had a problem and are very happy to have all of their parts. Is that long term enough?

Frank
#12 of 15 Old 06-28-2003, 10:47 AM

DH is 55, intact and never had a problem a day in his life!
#13 of 15 Old 06-30-2003, 09:31 PM

This is my first post in this forum I've never thought about circumcision until I moved to the States and became pregnant. From where I came from (Asia), circumcision is not performed on babies. It's not a topic discussed among pregnant women. So I assume the majority of the men in my country are intact and I've never heard of any problem related to this. I'm sure you're making the best decision for your baby!!

Congratulations and good luck!!
#14 of 15 Old 06-30-2003, 09:48 PM

MySingingBaby~ Welcome! I am in Hawaii. We have a Japanese channel on the local TV stations. Well, I was watching this talk show . (of course, I didn't know what they were saying) but it caught my eye because it was these two men trying to help run a daycare in their town or something. Anyhoo, they were playing, reading, and changing the diapers etc. And you know what is so cool? They used cloth only, and the two baby boys they showed were not circucised. I just thought that was so cool. Oh yeah, and they have a washing station outside for all the cloth dipes. It was funny to see the men helping wash out all the poo. :LOL
#15 of 15 Old 07-01-2003, 10:59 AM

I have to add my voice to Ilaria's and MySingingBaby's.. I come from New Zealand and I have never heard of ANYONE, baby, child or adult, having an infection or any sort of problem resulting from having a foreskin.
I've also lived in the UK and Australia and never heard of anything like that there either.

I would guess that the problems intact males seem to have here in America must stem mainly from inappropriate care (like forcible retraction).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page