What to do, what to do? UPDATED! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 50 Old 06-26-2007, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter
 
becoming's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 11,886
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Here's the deal: My DH and I still have not resolved the circumcision issue. I am absolutely, positively, 100% against it, and he wants to have it done. His reasons are that he doesn't want him to be made fun of later in life, and that he doesn't want him to be the only uncirc'ed male in the house (DH & DS1 are both circ'ed).

We had a discussion that turned into a sort of argument about it when I was about 20 weeks along, and we hadn't talked about it at all since then. Well, a couple weeks ago, DH was looking at my shopping list for baby stuff, and he saw that I had written down "non-stick gauze pads" with a question mark beside it. He said, "What are the gauze pads for?" I said, "We'll need them if we're going to have him circumcised." He goes, "I thought we weren't having him circumcised."

:

I think one of the kids came in asking a question or something at that point, so we didn't get to discuss it anymore right then. Since then, I've been afraid to bring it up again, because I don't know if his opinion has changed, or if he just thought I was going to be controlling about it and put my foot down. (Probably the latter.) I'm kind of thinking if I just ride it out and wait until the actual birth when it's time to make the decision, he'll just go with the flow and let me say no. Then again, I don't want it to come down to making the actual decision and DH decide it's time to duke it out! Above all, I *really* don't want DH to feel like I'm leaving him out of this decision. A big reason why we separated/divorced several years ago was because he felt like I left him out of decisions and the day-to-day care of our son, so I try really hard to avoid making him feel that way these days.

What would you do?

(Oh, I am 36 weeks pregnant, BTW! Eek!)


HAPPY UPDATE!

Our beautiful boy was born last Monday, July 16, and we left him intact. DH said he could see how important it was to me and that he was leaving the decision up to me.

Thanks for your help, ladies!
becoming is offline  
#2 of 50 Old 06-26-2007, 04:33 PM
A&A
 
A&A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 16,858
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
1) Don't buy the gauze pads. Put your foot down. Let him name your son--or make some other important decision. This decision is YOURS, though. Trust me.

2) Read this article. This is for YOU to read only. Don't show it to your dh. Just read it and think about it.

http://www.stopcirc.com/vincent/vuln...ty_of_men.html

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
A&A is offline  
#3 of 50 Old 06-26-2007, 04:34 PM
 
Monkeygrrl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 842
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
you havent left him out of this decision though...you talked about it, you said no, he said yes...then apparently he changed his mind and decided that leaving the child intact was perfectly acceptable...

so be it...leave the child intact...

you can explain to the other child how you did something you thought you were supposed to do, but then you learned that it was not ok to do that to boys anymore, so you didnt do it to brother...

when you know better, you do better (we hope)...

peace...

Homeschooling Ama to boys (ages 10 and 6) and my SoldierGirl who is serving in the US Army, StepMom to three crazy teens. I'm married to the love of my life. 

 

Love is an action word. 

Words have power...use them wisely.

Who you are is just enough.

Molon Labe

Monkeygrrl is offline  
#4 of 50 Old 06-26-2007, 04:35 PM
 
Ann-Marita's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 4,590
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would assume that there will be no circ, never plan to buy anything associated with circ wound care, and refuse to sign a circ concent form.

He said he believed there would be no circ. Go with that!

Ann-Marita. I deleted my usual signature due to, oh, wait, if I say why, that might give too much away. 

Ann-Marita is offline  
#5 of 50 Old 06-26-2007, 04:37 PM
A&A
 
A&A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 16,858
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I'm back......

3) Did you actually watch your first son being circumcised? If not, you have to watch this video (watch it with the sound up.) Make dh watch it, too. If you can't watch it, you can't put your son through it.

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...hic+circ+video


4) Read this:
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...&postcount=278

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
A&A is offline  
#6 of 50 Old 06-26-2007, 04:37 PM
 
Microsoap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: London, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,474
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Well, I think the locker room scenario is a truly ridiculous reason to amputate a valuable part of the human body required for the default level of sexual pleasure throughout life. Remember: Circumcised means less sensitivity (...for life!). The teasing simply doesn't happen, and even if it did, it's INSANE to resort to purely cosmetic surgery to "fit in". What would you do if your daughter's breasts were too big, or too small? : As for being the only one in the family to be intact...... so what? Since when do males in families, or males AT ALL go around comparing penises? Children in families were spanked, or worse-- whipped. Eventually the abuse HAS to stop. And that's what routine infant circumcision (RIC) is. It's male genital mutilation (MGM) and it needs to end. You can be proud that your son has been the one to break the vicious chain of abuse.
Microsoap is offline  
#7 of 50 Old 06-26-2007, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter
 
becoming's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 11,886
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I can't get that video to play for me here at work, but I'll try it again at home this evening. I read the transcript of what was said on it (HOW horrible! ), and I honestly don't think DH will be able to watch that and still consent to having the circ done.
becoming is offline  
#8 of 50 Old 06-26-2007, 04:46 PM
 
Juvysen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Binghamton, NY
Posts: 7,479
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My thought is it can't hurt to not do it, but if you have him circ'd on a misunderstanding, it's not really something you can take back.

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

 

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

Juvysen is offline  
#9 of 50 Old 06-26-2007, 04:47 PM
 
alegna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 44,408
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would NEVER allow my husband to decide to mutilate a child of ours, no matter what the marital problems.

You are the mom. You are giving birth to this precious baby. It is your obligation to protect him.

I might talk it to death between now and then, but I would make it quite clear that I would never allow it to happen.

-Angela
alegna is offline  
#10 of 50 Old 06-26-2007, 04:48 PM
A&A
 
A&A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 16,858
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by becoming View Post
I can't get that video to play for me here at work, but I'll try it again at home this evening.
Try this link:

http://www.intact.ca/video.html

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
A&A is offline  
#11 of 50 Old 06-26-2007, 04:48 PM
 
AutumnMama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Northwest US
Posts: 4,500
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It sounds like he's already accepted the fact that you will be leaving your son intact. I'd just go with it, and not entertain the thought of circ'ing him anymore.
AutumnMama is offline  
#12 of 50 Old 06-26-2007, 04:50 PM
 
gridley13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Poignant Extravaganza
Posts: 912
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Take a big black marker and cross gauze pads off the list. Do not put them on any more lists if you are 100% against it.
gridley13 is offline  
#13 of 50 Old 06-26-2007, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter
 
becoming's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 11,886
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
I would NEVER allow my husband to decide to mutilate a child of ours, no matter what the marital problems.

You are the mom. You are giving birth to this precious baby. It is your obligation to protect him.

I might talk it to death between now and then, but I would make it quite clear that I would never allow it to happen.

-Angela
You are so right. I don't think I ever intended to let it actually happen. I don't know why I wrote those stupid things on that stupid list. I would just really love it if DH could see my point of view and feel like he was involved in actually refusing consent for it.
becoming is offline  
#14 of 50 Old 06-26-2007, 04:59 PM
 
LavenderMae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: where I write my own posts!
Posts: 13,477
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is not the issue to relent on to keep marital harmony. Let him decide something else that isn't harmful to your baby. It seems he's already accepted the fact his son will remain intact. Don't buy the gauze.

OUR DAUGHTERS ARE PROTECTED SHOULDN'T OUR SONS BE TOO! :
LavenderMae is offline  
#15 of 50 Old 06-26-2007, 04:59 PM
 
Papai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,478
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by becoming View Post
You are so right. I don't think I ever intended to let it actually happen. I don't know why I wrote those stupid things on that stupid list. I would just really love it if DH could see my point of view and feel like he was involved in actually refusing consent for it.
You know what, I felt the same way.

I wish my gf would've seen WHY I felt circ was wrong.

But she doesn't, not that I've pressed the issue with her, and in the end she gave in to the fact that I didn't want our son circ'd and that's all you can really ask for. For now at least...
Papai is offline  
#16 of 50 Old 06-26-2007, 05:00 PM
 
bluetoes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,130
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by becoming View Post
You are so right. I don't think I ever intended to let it actually happen. I don't know why I wrote those stupid things on that stupid list. I would just really love it if DH could see my point of view and feel like he was involved in actually refusing consent for it.

you're going to have to talk to him first and settle things. Don't wait until the confusion of labour. Just say 'ok just to be clear, we're not going to circ. this child, you're agreed, correct?' If he continues to insist then you'll have to go the refuse the consent, but hopefully you've already won the argument. But you need to communicate, it's much easier than walking around with the big purple circ. elephant in the corner that you're both ignoring!!
bluetoes is offline  
#17 of 50 Old 06-26-2007, 05:03 PM
 
guestmama9908's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,826
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would just put my foot down and say NO.

And just because your first DS didn't have complications from his circumcision is NO gaurantee that your second son won't. Make sure you read both of the stories in my siggy and make your husband read them too.
guestmama9908 is offline  
#18 of 50 Old 06-26-2007, 05:04 PM
 
gridley13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Poignant Extravaganza
Posts: 912
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by becoming View Post
I would just really love it if DH could see my point of view and feel like he was involved in actually refusing consent for it.
I know what you are saying. Give it some time... at this point he might just be getting used to the idea. You might be surprised a year from now or so as he realizes what a great choice you guys made... and start realizing how wrong of a choice so many others are making. He might turn into a big intactivist, he migh not. Just focus on not circing for now. Congrats on your soon to be arriving baby btw!
gridley13 is offline  
#19 of 50 Old 06-26-2007, 05:06 PM
 
alegna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 44,408
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by becoming View Post
You are so right. I don't think I ever intended to let it actually happen. I don't know why I wrote those stupid things on that stupid list. I would just really love it if DH could see my point of view and feel like he was involved in actually refusing consent for it.


You wrote it because you want him to be horrified and see it like you do. That may or may not happen.

But you know how to protect your baby either way.

-Angela
alegna is offline  
#20 of 50 Old 06-26-2007, 05:24 PM
A&A
 
A&A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 16,858
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
On the "marital harmony" issue:

Parents have NO right to sacrifice a piece of their son's body in order to preserve the marriage.

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
A&A is offline  
#21 of 50 Old 06-26-2007, 05:38 PM
 
mamazee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: US midwest
Posts: 7,500
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The thing about being made fun of is ludicrous. That might have happened decades ago when boys were circumcised without even having to get parental consent (at least my mother-in-law said no one asked her about my husband - he just came back from the nursery circumcised one day), but it is much more common to leave boys intact now, so it won't be a big deal. Close to half of boys are not being circumcised, and that number will hopefully continue to grow.

This is one argument I didn't have with my husband because he said the most popular boy in his school when he was growing up was also one of about two who wasn't circumcised. He said it never stopped this kid from getting girls.
mamazee is offline  
#22 of 50 Old 06-26-2007, 06:03 PM
 
kldliam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Beautiful Oregon
Posts: 1,638
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm posting the text of Ronald Goldman's (Author of The Hidden Trauma: Infant Circumcision" letter calling to account the AAP spokesman who glibly proffered the "look like Daddy" fallacy to reporters.


Michael Copeland
American Academy of Pediatrics
141 Northwest Point Blvd.
P.O. Box 927
Elk Grove Village, IL 60009-0927

April 7, 1997


Dear Mr. Copeland:

The following quote has been called to my attention in a newspaper
article connected with the April 2 JAMA article on circumcision:

“If Dad is circumcised and junior is not,” said Michael Copeland,
spokesman for the American Academy of Pediatrics, the son “may have
some psychosocial issues in that he looks different from Dad.”

As a psychologist and the author of Circumcision: The Hidden Trauma, I
have done a thorough search of the literature to investigate this
belief. There is no published evidence whatsoever to support your statement.

This myth is the product of a psychological defense mechanism called
projection, the process of attributing feelings to others that belong to
oneself. It is the circumcised father who may have some psychosocial
issues if he looks different from his son. The fear of confronting these
issues in themselves motivates circumcised men to cling to the myth
that uncircumcised sons will have such issues. Furthermore, when the first
generation of American boys was circumcised, they looked different
from their uncircumcised fathers. This myth was not prevalent then because
uncircumcised men had no repressed feelings about how their penis
looked.

As part of the research for my book, I interviewed uncircumcised men
about their feelings. Their statements and other pertinent information
lead me to the following inferences regarding the decision to circumcise
for social or “matching” reasons:

The circumcision status of the father is not necessarily known or
important to a male child.

A circumcised boy who “matches” others may nevertheless have
negative feelings about being circumcised. These feelings can last a
lifetime.(1)

It is not possible to predict prior to circumcision how a boy will feel
about it later.

Even though uncircumcised men are in the minority, there is some
indication that most uncircumcised men are happy to be that way.

An uncircumcised man who is unhappy about it can choose to be
circumcised, but this is rarely done. The estimated rate of adult circumcision
in the United States is 3 in 1000.(2)

An uncircumcised man who is unhappy about his status may feel different
after learning more about circumcision and the important functions of
the foreskin.

The social factor is much less of an issue for boys born today because
of the lower circumcision rate (approximately 60 percent nationally,
under 40 percent in some states(3)).
These two accounts from mothers of uncircumcised sons add another
perspective to the discussion of choosing circumcision for social reasons.

“My youngest son [seven years old] is completely content at being
‘different’ from his father and [three] older brothers. When I
explained circumcision to him, his face took on a frightened expression as he
cupped his hands over his genitals and loudly declared, ‘That is
never going to happen to me!!’ “(4)

“When my eight-year-old son was five, he noticed a difference in the
appearance of the other boys’ penises. I told him that’s because
they had their foreskins cut off. He said, ‘That’s horrible.’
He’s very adamant about it.”(5)

I asked the second mother if I could talk with her son, Michael.
Because he lives in an area with a very high circumcision rate, he is the
only boy in his class who is not circumcised.

RG: How did you first learn about circumcision?

Michael: My mom told me when I was little, and she didn’t want that
to happen to me.

RG: How do you feel about her not wanting to let it happen to you?

Michael: I’m glad ‘cause it’s scary. It’s scary for a little
baby.

RG: At school, do the other kids have foreskins, or are they
circumcised?

Michael: They’re circumcised.

RG: How does it make you feel when you see that they’re circumcised?

Michael: Kind of sad, because they had it cut off.

RG: Do the other boys notice that you have a foreskin and they don’t?

Michael: Uh huh. And they say my penis looks weird.

RG: What do you think when they say that?

Michael: I say, “No it doesn’t. Yours looks weird.” Then I tell
them why there is still skin over mine and not over theirs.

RG: Then what do they say?

Michael: Some say they don’t believe it. Some just walk away.(6)

It appears that if an uncircumcised boy is given proper information, it
is possible to prevent a negative impact from extreme minority status
in a group of circumcised boys.

I hope you now understand that by perpetuating the “matching” myth,
you do a great disservice to the American public and undermine the
credibility of the American Academy of Pediatrics. The public is
understandably confused about circumcision. Your statement only serves to
increase the confusion. It would certainly help if the AAP issued a news
release to correct your mistake.

As you know, the AAP will be reporting on circumcision in the near
future. Many people who care deeply about circumcision are looking for the
AAP to report accurate, factual information about this complex issue.
If, for whatever reason, you cannot resist the temptation to express
your personal beliefs when you talk to the media about circumcision, then
perhaps someone else should take over this responsibility. Reporting to
the public about circumcision is too important to risk this mistake
being made again.


Sincerely,


Ronald Goldman, Ph.D.
Executive Director



(1) Goldman, R., Circumcision: The Hidden Trauma (Boston: Vanguard
Publications, 1997), 103–115.

(2) Wallerstein, E., Circumcision: An American Health Fallacy (New
York: Springer Publishing, 1980), 48.

(3) National Centre for Health Statistics, telephone conversation with
author 1997. Rate is for 1994.

(4) Romberg, R., “Circumcision Feedback” (letter to the editor),
Mensa Bulletin, May 1993.

(5) Huggins, R., telephone conversation with author, February 1996.

(6) Huggins, M., telephone conversation with author, February 1996.
kldliam is offline  
#23 of 50 Old 06-26-2007, 06:21 PM
Banned
 
Yulia_R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Lafayette, CO
Posts: 3,128
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sorry, I don't have time to write a personal answer, so I just copy-paste what I wrote in another post.

Unfortunately, sex is less fun even with perfectly preformed circ. Started as a cure for masturbation it didn't stop it, but definitely made it less pleasurable as it did sex .

1. Ridged band and Frenulum are THE MOST sensitive parts of the penis are removed by circ http://www.icgi.org/touch-test/touch-test-article.pdf
http://www.icgi.org/touch-test/ .

2. Skin of the glans becomes thick, rough (the prosess of keratinization that makes the glans to loose quite of sensitivity) due to being rubbed against underwear (the same way it does on your feet); dry (so a man can't really have sex or masturbate without artificial lubricant). On the other hand intact men do not need it at all. Foreskin slides up and down the shaft of the penis providing an easy and smooth penetration, lubrication and additional pleasure for both partners.

3. Permanent emotional scar. While full permanent psychological impact of circumcision is still mostly unknown, it’s logical to assume that just like any extremely painful http://www.cnn.com/HEALTH/9712/23/ci...on.anesthetic/ and traumatic event—even if forgotten—it can lead to a permanent emotional/psychological scar/damage.
There has been also a study that proved that intact boys and girls have higher thresholds of pain than circumcised boys. It was published in the Lancet (British medical journal) in 1997.

4.Even a perfectly performed circumcision does not guarantee that a person will not have more serious (beyond the mentioned above) problems in his future sexual life. Such problems as, for example, too tight (sometimes even painful) erections can be due to removal of too much foreskin and whatever left over just not enough to accommodate a normal erection are much more common than many people think since it’s nearly impossible to know for sure how much is “too much” until the penis reaches its full-grown size. Removal of too much foreskin can also lead to a shaft of the penis being hairy (it pulls skin from above to more or less accommodate an erection).

5. Worth while mentioning most recent scientists discovery that Langerhans cells that are present in the foreskin are behave as ‘natural barrier’ to HIV. Bellow are the links.

http://body.aol.com/news/articles/_a...28234109990019
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...030500357.html
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q..._uids=17334373
http://www.womenshealth.gov/news/english/602421.htm

As any surgery, circumcision may have some very serious (even life threatening) complications. http://www.circumcisionquotes.com/complications.html
http://www.cirp.org/library/complications/ . Of course, the most horrible complication is death and there were quite few of them as well (this is the most recent one http://healthblog.ctv.ca/blog/_archi...2/2967860.html ).
Also, make sure you show your dh this video (with speakers on) of the procedure WITH the use of anesthesia (as doctor claims) http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...27632617&hl=en . If he wants to put the baby though that, he at least must have guts to see that.

yulia.
Yulia_R is offline  
#24 of 50 Old 06-26-2007, 06:23 PM
 
eepster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: growing in the Garden State ............
Posts: 9,510
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post


You wrote it because you want him to be horrified and see it like you do. That may or may not happen.

But you know how to protect your baby either way.

-Angela
He has said "I thought we weren't circ'ing. I'd be ok with that. Yes, it would be nice to hear him say "it is horrible to torture a boy for no reason" but for all kinds of reasons that would be very dificult for him.

If he brings it up again when the Dr asks then simply remind him that he told you he didn't think you were circ'ing, so you made plans to keep him intact.

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos
eepster is offline  
#25 of 50 Old 06-26-2007, 06:28 PM
 
RiverSky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Paradise
Posts: 7,290
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
I would NEVER allow my husband to decide to mutilate a child of ours, no matter what the marital problems.

You are the mom. You are giving birth to this precious baby. It is your obligation to protect him.

I might talk it to death between now and then, but I would make it quite clear that I would never allow it to happen.

-Angela
I totally agree.

If you say, "Over my dead body", he will never circ, right?
RiverSky is offline  
#26 of 50 Old 06-26-2007, 06:35 PM
 
trmpetplaya's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 3,918
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My husband is intact and my FIL is circumcised. My dh is VERY grateful that he doesn't look like the only other male in his family as far as circumcision status goes (he's an only child). My dh and I were both born in 1983 when circumcision rates were still sky-high. He never ever had any trouble in any locker rooms. He was never teased and never felt inferior to any of his circumcised friends (and the vast majority of his friends were, indeed, circumcised).

My ex-boyfriend also had no problems being teased. He was born in 1982 - to a military family, no less. He also had no problems whatsoever finding numerous girls to sleep around with (in case your dh brings up the "girls won't find his penis "attractive"" argument).

The vast majority of boys in my generation were circumcised, and I've met many many guys my age (we were generally in high school when we talked about this...) who wish they had been left as they were made. I have yet to meet an intact guy who wishes he had been circumcised though I do have a friend who chose to be circumcised when he was 19 or 20. He doesn't regret that his parents left the decision up to him though and according to him the surgery as an adult really isn't that bad except for painful erections for a couple of weeks... and babies have erections too and don't get the benefit of powerful pain meds either.

Best wishes with your dh! It does sound to me as though he has accepted that your ds will not be circumcised though I would make sure that he's on the same page with you (at least that he understands that it'll happen over your cold, dead body) and then do what you know is right

love and peace.

mama to two girls and due in November!
: Circumcision can never be undone :
trmpetplaya is offline  
#27 of 50 Old 06-26-2007, 06:43 PM
 
Leiahs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,692
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kldliam View Post
Michael Copeland
American Academy of Pediatrics
141 Northwest Point Blvd.
P.O. Box 927
Elk Grove Village, IL 60009-0927

April 7, 1997


Dear Mr. Copeland:

The following quote has been called to my attention in a newspaper
article connected with the April 2 JAMA article on circumcision:

“If Dad is circumcised and junior is not,” said Michael Copeland,
spokesman for the American Academy of Pediatrics, the son “may have
some psychosocial issues in that he looks different from Dad.”

As a psychologist and the author of Circumcision: The Hidden Trauma, I
have done a thorough search of the literature to investigate this
belief. There is no published evidence whatsoever to support your statement.

This myth is the product of a psychological defense mechanism called
projection, the process of attributing feelings to others that belong to
oneself. It is the circumcised father who may have some psychosocial
issues if he looks different from his son. The fear of confronting these
issues in themselves motivates circumcised men to cling to the myth
that uncircumcised sons will have such issues. Furthermore, when the first
generation of American boys was circumcised, they looked different
from their uncircumcised fathers. This myth was not prevalent then because
uncircumcised men had no repressed feelings about how their penis
looked.

As part of the research for my book, I interviewed uncircumcised men
about their feelings. Their statements and other pertinent information
lead me to the following inferences regarding the decision to circumcise
for social or “matching” reasons:

The circumcision status of the father is not necessarily known or
important to a male child.

A circumcised boy who “matches” others may nevertheless have
negative feelings about being circumcised. These feelings can last a
lifetime.(1)

It is not possible to predict prior to circumcision how a boy will feel
about it later.

Even though uncircumcised men are in the minority, there is some
indication that most uncircumcised men are happy to be that way.

An uncircumcised man who is unhappy about it can choose to be
circumcised, but this is rarely done. The estimated rate of adult circumcision
in the United States is 3 in 1000.(2)

An uncircumcised man who is unhappy about his status may feel different
after learning more about circumcision and the important functions of
the foreskin.

The social factor is much less of an issue for boys born today because
of the lower circumcision rate (approximately 60 percent nationally,
under 40 percent in some states(3)).
These two accounts from mothers of uncircumcised sons add another
perspective to the discussion of choosing circumcision for social reasons.

“My youngest son [seven years old] is completely content at being
‘different’ from his father and [three] older brothers. When I
explained circumcision to him, his face took on a frightened expression as he
cupped his hands over his genitals and loudly declared, ‘That is
never going to happen to me!!’ “(4)

“When my eight-year-old son was five, he noticed a difference in the
appearance of the other boys’ penises. I told him that’s because
they had their foreskins cut off. He said, ‘That’s horrible.’
He’s very adamant about it.”(5)

I asked the second mother if I could talk with her son, Michael.
Because he lives in an area with a very high circumcision rate, he is the
only boy in his class who is not circumcised.

RG: How did you first learn about circumcision?

Michael: My mom told me when I was little, and she didn’t want that
to happen to me.

RG: How do you feel about her not wanting to let it happen to you?

Michael: I’m glad ‘cause it’s scary. It’s scary for a little
baby.

RG: At school, do the other kids have foreskins, or are they
circumcised?

Michael: They’re circumcised.

RG: How does it make you feel when you see that they’re circumcised?

Michael: Kind of sad, because they had it cut off.

RG: Do the other boys notice that you have a foreskin and they don’t?

Michael: Uh huh. And they say my penis looks weird.

RG: What do you think when they say that?

Michael: I say, “No it doesn’t. Yours looks weird.” Then I tell
them why there is still skin over mine and not over theirs.

RG: Then what do they say?

Michael: Some say they don’t believe it. Some just walk away.(6)

It appears that if an uncircumcised boy is given proper information, it
is possible to prevent a negative impact from extreme minority status
in a group of circumcised boys.

I hope you now understand that by perpetuating the “matching” myth,
you do a great disservice to the American public and undermine the
credibility of the American Academy of Pediatrics. The public is
understandably confused about circumcision. Your statement only serves to
increase the confusion. It would certainly help if the AAP issued a news
release to correct your mistake.

As you know, the AAP will be reporting on circumcision in the near
future. Many people who care deeply about circumcision are looking for the
AAP to report accurate, factual information about this complex issue.
If, for whatever reason, you cannot resist the temptation to express
your personal beliefs when you talk to the media about circumcision, then
perhaps someone else should take over this responsibility. Reporting to
the public about circumcision is too important to risk this mistake
being made again.


Sincerely,


Ronald Goldman, Ph.D.
Executive Director



(1) Goldman, R., Circumcision: The Hidden Trauma (Boston: Vanguard
Publications, 1997), 103–115.

(2) Wallerstein, E., Circumcision: An American Health Fallacy (New
York: Springer Publishing, 1980), 48.

(3) National Centre for Health Statistics, telephone conversation with
author 1997. Rate is for 1994.

(4) Romberg, R., “Circumcision Feedback” (letter to the editor),
Mensa Bulletin, May 1993.

(5) Huggins, R., telephone conversation with author, February 1996.

(6) Huggins, M., telephone conversation with author, February 1996.
Ahah!! This is what I was thinking of when I wrote THIS post! Thank you for reposting it, I'll have to save it somewhere!

To the OP - I know how you are feeling. I really wanted DH to be on the same page as me, no matter that I was determined not to let the circ happen. I'd be content with his statement, even without delving into it further. I'm confident that with time he will appreciate your decision to leave your son intact. DH may not quite be an intactivist, but he definitely understands now that it is the best thing for the baby, after watching our son grow up whole.

SAHM to Melinda (Oct '03), Jacob (Aug '05),  Alex (Apr '08), and baby.gif Malcolm (Sept 29, '11)

Leiahs is offline  
#28 of 50 Old 06-26-2007, 07:22 PM
 
christifav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Dayton, OH
Posts: 530
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You could even throw in there that if DS decides for himself when he is 18 that he wants a circ, you will be happy to pay for it. The possibility is highly unlikely, and you will ensure that the choice is left up to him (your son) as owner of the penis in question.

Once its done, you can never get it back. Let the boy decide for himself.
christifav is offline  
#29 of 50 Old 06-26-2007, 07:23 PM
 
BamBam'sMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 580
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think you should talk to him before your son is born. If he's like my dh, he will think, at this point, that you have agreed to the circ. Many men don't read between the lines and think we mean exactly what we say (sorry to generalize). If the time comes, and you refuse, he will probably feel that you made the decision without him.

Speak from the heart about how you feel about handing your son to a stranger to have that done to him. Tell him that circ. is about 50/50 in the US now (the last thing I read said 57% of Americans circ'd, and I think it was only 30% in the west).
BamBam'sMom is offline  
#30 of 50 Old 06-26-2007, 11:20 PM
 
MCatLvrMom2A&X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: With Vin Diesel ;) YUMMMM
Posts: 14,793
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would have loved for dh to be on the same page as me when this came up but he wasnt. I made the decision to leave ds as he was born and it has taken nearly 3 yrs for dh to see that it was a good thing. He is not a intactavist at all but he dosnt see ds any different and I think he has finally start to realize he lost something very important.

So he may not get it now but he will down the road. Your ds shouldnt have to pay such a high price just so your dh will feel ok with his own self.

 
SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

MCatLvrMom2A&X is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off