It's SUMMER! Sidewalk Chalk Intactivism, Anyone? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 51 Old 07-06-2007, 02:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
it's an excellent idea. (lord, don't the pro-circers hope to shut us up at every opportunity).

ANYTHING that gets people talking about it is a step forward, since the less it is relegated to the back of the brain as an unspeakable assumption & the more it is brought up as an acceptable discussion topic can only help- being the truth and all.

creepy? pervy? um, no, the people who want to carve up children's genitals can own that rap. we don't need to be defensive.

a chalk message is not an illegal graffito, for heaven's sake (and even ink & paint artists in this situation i would consider participating in civil disobedience, if it were public property).

man, i go on the road for a few days & jen gets dogpiled for making a suggestion in CAC? hail no! (thanks for holding down the fort! )

wrong is a wrong is a wrong (apologies to ms stein)
#32 of 51 Old 07-07-2007, 06:29 PM

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...tervale034.jpg

Here is my sidewalk chalk intactivism. I did it at the place where I get my CSA veggies every week. TONS of families with children come here. Hopefully it will make some people think...

Living the Joyful life as a mama of three beautiful children who are just right the way they are.

I blog at www.saboss.blogspot.com chicken3.gif

#33 of 51 Old 07-07-2007, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter

Fabulous, Vermontgirl.

That brought a smile to my face.

Did you hang around at all to see if people noticed/how they reacted?

Kudos to you for your courage and initiative.

Jen
#34 of 51 Old 07-07-2007, 09:26 PM
Fi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leiahs View Post
What about doing something like that at college campuses? The campuses I've walked around on in the past tend to always have some sort of sidewalk chalk messages, and I always read them. College age kids are a perfect target group, IMO, too - open minded and close enough to child bearing age to really think about it.
Same. Much better than at a park.

Long distance Mom to boarding school superstars E (9) and Layne (6).
#35 of 51 Old 07-07-2007, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdx.mothernurture View Post
Fabulous, Vermontgirl.

That brought a smile to my face.

Did you hang around at all to see if people noticed/how they reacted?

Kudos to you for your courage and initiative.

Jen
Thanks!
No, we didnt hang out much longer. I felt really good about doing it though!

Living the Joyful life as a mama of three beautiful children who are just right the way they are.

I blog at www.saboss.blogspot.com chicken3.gif

#36 of 51 Old 07-07-2007, 10:32 PM

I think sidewalk chalk messages are generally ineffective.

I also think that I don't think there are really pro-circ people with the same passion as anti-circ people. I think most people who choose circ are doing a lemming move and aren't wrapped up in being *for* circ. I think most parents who circ have little interest in what others choose, fwiw.
#37 of 51 Old 07-08-2007, 12:06 AM

It's so strange that I read a story in the paper today about a liquor co putting
sidewalk messages on our city streets. They were done professionally with a logo and all and the substance was a washable mix of chalk and paint. They said the brand name of a rum and "let the summer begin". People were very upset and the city said a special crew spent 6 hours trying to get rid of them completely. I've never heard of that being done before. Of course, it's more annoying when it's commercial advertising and one of the complaints was that one graffiti was right near an elementary school.

I'm in Vancouver, BC Canada
#38 of 51 Old 07-08-2007, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermontgirl View Post
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...tervale034.jpg

Here is my sidewalk chalk intactivism. I did it at the place where I get my CSA veggies every week. TONS of families with children come here. Hopefully it will make some people think...

The only thing it will make people think is that some old perv or weird kid was messing up public property. Sorry -- not very impressive or clever or helpful to the cause at all.
#39 of 51 Old 07-08-2007, 04:09 AM - Thread Starter

You know what? We get it. Some people think this is a reasonable way to raise awareness, some don't believe it will be effective. Some of us are going to try it, others are going to refrain. Regardless, please try to remember we're all on the same side; there's no need to be negative/argue amongst ourselves.

As a side note, for those who are new to the board/intactivism, a good place to start that I've never heard debated is to add a pro-intact pic, message, or link to your MDC signature.

Jen
#40 of 51 Old 07-08-2007, 08:00 AM

BAck in college, we had homeless and hungry awareness day, and a school group wrote facts about the homeless all over the campus in chalk. I learned a lot that day.

I don't see how a messege in chalk would be any different than my homemade anti circ Tshirt. Or maybe puff paint separates the creeps from the real inactivists :

"Parents are simply trustees; they do not own the bodies of their children"-Norm Cohen  Martial arts instructor intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif and mom to 4: DD1 (1/05) DS (7/06) DD2 (5/08) DD3 (2/11)
#41 of 51 Old 07-08-2007, 08:08 AM

In all honesty, I doubt it would have the desired effect. Generally, when I see those kind of things, I feel offended. It bothers me when I walk down the street and see 'Jesus loves you' or something to that effect, scrawled on the ground. I think that people may react to any sort of a message in the same way.
#42 of 51 Old 07-08-2007, 09:45 AM

Quote:
As a side note, for those who are new to the board/intactivism, a good place to start that I've never heard debated is to add a pro-intact pic, message, or link to your MDC signature.

Jen
I'll debate it. I personally don't like to feel I have to conform to any way of presenting my siggy to participate. No hazing, no initiation rites. No circ!

To me, it's really about the content of the messages, not the siggy.
#43 of 51 Old 07-08-2007, 10:58 AM

I don't think it's an initiation rite; it's a means to spread the message. What about when you make posts in other parts of the board that are completely unrelated to circ? Sad to say it, but there are lots of mamas who come here and only read in one area or another and never learn about circ and circ their sons. I think that's why the siggy is so important. (And much more so elsewhere, if you visit other boards that have an even higher percentage of people uninformed about circ).

Quote:
I also think that I don't think there are really pro-circ people with the same passion as anti-circ people.
Oh, they definately exist! There may not be a lot of them, but they are definitely passionate. :
#44 of 51 Old 07-08-2007, 12:30 PM

I am thinking of discussing intactness and having something in my siggy at another board where many moms of boys visit..... I'm just working out the idea in my head so I am prepared to answer questions and I want to phrase it in a way that is compassionate to moms who have circ'd without full information.

I'm not super active at MDC and I appreciate the many, many people who have circ signs in their siggies, I'm just not ready for that myself. I'm working through what I want to share, if anything, and waiting until I feel comfortable here with any of that.
#45 of 51 Old 07-08-2007, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter

Question for those against the sidewalk chalk idea:

How do you feel about anti-circ messages on...

T-shirts

Bumperstickers

Rubber 'Awareness' Bracelets

Billboards

Business Cards/Pamphlets (left random places)

Anywhere a public message about keeping babies whole is displayed, it will provoke thought and has the potential to enlighten or offend. In some cases, children may see these things and it may initiate communication between parents and their children.

How is a well-worded pro-intact message written on a sidewalk any different really than wearing a t-shirt or having a pro-intact bumpersticker on your car? Part of me wonders if some of the negativity has more to do with personal comfort levels/unwillingess to put ourselves 'out there', visibly, publically, vulnerably...to stand openly for a cause we believe in. That's not an easy thing to do, it takes a lot of conviction and courage...and knowing that you probably will at some point or another get involved in an intense discussion or heated debate.

Personally, I'm feeling more inspired than ever. And, as summer draws to a close I suspect sidewalk chalk will go on clearance.

I would LOVE to get a small group of intactivists together locally and do some sidewalk chalking and then talk to people about what they think about the message and hand out educational literature...it might be a good research project, although I am in the northwest and the west coast has the lowest circumcision rates in the nation. Heck, I even have a good friend who works for one of the big local news stations...

Jen
#46 of 51 Old 07-08-2007, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonmama7 View Post
The only thing it will make people think is that some old perv or weird kid was messing up public property. Sorry -- not very impressive or clever or helpful to the cause at all.

No, no- old pervs and weird kids draw pictures of penises on the sidewalk, not educational messages about penises. Good job, vermontgirl! I don't know how many times I have seen posts on here from someone who never even *thought* about leaving her child intact, because circumcision is just what's done- until they found out that not everybody does it! You could have delivered that lightbulb moment to some people right there.

Jen, as always, I'm impressed with your fresh ideas and your never-ending energy and enthusiasm. Go you!!

~*Kristi*~
Tallulah Dare 8-01,  Marcos Gael 12-04, Cormac Mateo 9-09, Leonidas Ronan 11-11

#47 of 51 Old 07-08-2007, 04:34 PM

<<Jen, as always, I'm impressed with your fresh ideas and your never-ending energy and enthusiasm. Go you!!>>

Yeah, Jen. Altho' I think she sees it as a monster she's created that she
can not stop

This one will probably become the biggest topic the forum has ever had and we'll be taking Jen away in a strait jacket frothing at the mouth. Crazy!
#48 of 51 Old 07-08-2007, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by baybee View Post
This one will probably become the biggest topic the forum has ever had and we'll be taking Jen away in a strait jacket frothing at the mouth. Crazy!

You have no idea....

Mwahahahahah!

Yes, intactivism has become a bit of a compulsion.

I think there are moments we all wish we could go back to a state of blissful ignorance. In the meantime, finding our inner children with a bucket of sidewalk chalk and a mission might be a fun & productive way to keep our sanity.

Jen
#49 of 51 Old 07-08-2007, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Question for those against the sidewalk chalk idea:

How do you feel about anti-circ messages on...

T-shirts

Bumperstickers

Rubber 'Awareness' Bracelets

Billboards

Business Cards/Pamphlets (left random places)

Anywhere a public message about keeping babies whole is displayed, it will provoke thought and has the potential to enlighten or offend. In some cases, children may see these things and it may initiate communication between parents and their children.

How is a well-worded pro-intact message written on a sidewalk any different really than wearing a t-shirt or having a pro-intact bumpersticker on your car? Part of me wonders if some of the negativity has more to do with personal comfort levels/unwillingess to put ourselves 'out there', visibly, publically, vulnerably...to stand openly for a cause we believe in. That's not an easy thing to do, it takes a lot of conviction and courage...and knowing that you probably will at some point or another get involved in an intense discussion or heated debate.

Personally, I'm feeling more inspired than ever. And, as summer draws to a close I suspect sidewalk chalk will go on clearance.

I would LOVE to get a small group of intactivists together locally and do some sidewalk chalking and then talk to people about what they think about the message and hand out educational literature...it might be a good research project, although I am in the northwest and the west coast has the lowest circumcision rates in the nation. Heck, I even have a good friend who works for one of the big local news stations...

Jen
Hi Jen. Here's my analysis and evaluation of sidewalk chalk vs. other forms of communication. I work in advertising and marketing and I at least like to think I know a little bit about media and messaging.

What I like about t-shirts, rubber arm bands and bumper stickers, v. sidewalk chalk, is that the former are personal and sidewalk chalk is anonymous. I think it's better to have a person connected to the message because then it's a conversation starter. A sidewalk chalk message does not have a personal form of follow-up. And if I'm casually curious about a message about intactness, a friendly person is a much easier, immediate way to connect than to visit a web site. (I also think that at least the anti-circ sites I've seen are a bit overwhelming for the first-time visitor.) So, I think t-shirts, arm bands and bumper stickers are all great ways of spreading awareness, and they are better than sidewalk chalk. I don't think chalk is *terrible*, but I feel it is largely disregarded by viewers.

I care about communication and think that if you're going to spend time spreading a message supporting intactness, then spend your time wisely and try to get the most bang for your efforts!

As for the more businesslike forms, biz cards, billboards and brochures, I think they can be very effective, but the messages need to be well thought out and appropriate for the intended audience.

ETA: Sidewalk chalk is kind of like a billboard if you do it very well..... except a billboard has more credibility / status / legitimacy.

Hope that helps. Good luck with any and all of your efforts.

EATA: I think it's interesting if you think about intactivism as "selling intactness" to the world. How can you be a good salesperson and help parents buy into intactness for their sons, grandsons, nephews and friends?
#50 of 51 Old 07-09-2007, 05:09 AM

I'm thinking that the line:

if men were meant to have foreskins, they would be born with them

would be a good one for side-walk chalking, as I know when people read it on my T-shirt, they always pause, think, and then the light-bulb goes on above their heads. Quite comical, really, because it really happens every time.

- Kira

PS. Jen - love your enthusiasm & positive energy, as always!
#51 of 51 Old 07-09-2007, 10:24 AM

I think it's a great idea!

Ilaria mamma to Owen, Caroline & Patrick .... loving life as expats in Asia intactlact.gifnovaxnocirc.gifuc.jpgnamaste.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page