How to inform childcare helpers not to retract - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 08-08-2007, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm planning to join a moms group this fall where my DS will be in a play group for an hour while I'm in another room. I would like to note in the "comments" section of his registration that he is not to be retracted. I'm not sure how to phrase this, I would like to keep it short. Or perhaps I should just say no diaper changes, come and get me? What have you done?
#2 of 10 Old 08-08-2007, 08:28 PM

I would probably say no diaper changes, especially if the people who will be watching the children will change frequently. I wouldn't want the hassle of having to explain over and over again about retraction. We also use cloth dipes so that's another reason it's easier to just say come and get me if he needs a diaper and I don't leave any diapers with them so they don't try and do it anyway.
#3 of 10 Old 08-08-2007, 08:31 PM

Yeah, it's only an hour, so hopefully if you change him before you'll get lucky. I think asking them to get you for diaper changes sounds like it will work well. Good luck!
#4 of 10 Old 08-08-2007, 09:07 PM

I agree with the PP also.
#5 of 10 Old 08-08-2007, 09:25 PM

i would put it on the comment area for just in case because we go to to church he's in the nursery for n hr . i always changed beforehand but one day he made a poopy so they changed him with one of their diapers. I nearly freaked out because i didn't think he would need any changing or change while there was no diapers. Anyhoo thank goodness they knew better not to retract but still it's a say of 'wipe on the outside -only- otherwise call me if you are unsure .
#6 of 10 Old 08-08-2007, 09:34 PM

I had to do a quick 101 on basic care for an intact boy, to two different nursery workers. I was terrified at first because I had no idea how to say it. (for my 4 yr old when he was 1 and 2 yrs old) I was lucky. They were so sweet about it and they would always place a sticker on his diaper that said, Changed with Love.
#7 of 10 Old 08-09-2007, 12:17 AM

I was going to post this question also. My intact 1yr old will be starting daycare in a couple weeks when i return to work and i was worried that he will be retracted if he has a messy diaper.
#8 of 10 Old 08-09-2007, 01:36 AM

I guess I was lucky when ds was in daycare -- all of the teachers came from intact cultures, so when I mentioned please don't retract they all looked at me like, well, DUH!!!!

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#9 of 10 Old 08-09-2007, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quirky View Post
I guess I was lucky when ds was in daycare -- all of the teachers came from intact cultures, so when I mentioned please don't retract they all looked at me like, well, DUH!!!!
That's my situation is well which is great. I have a 'foreskin isn't a birth defect' button on the diaper bag which goes in every day with him too If anyone has seen it no one has commented.

We sometimes bring him to a parents night out daycare and I wrote it on the form - please do not retract foreskin, wipe like a finger. We've not had any problems there either.

I have to wonder if the retraction thing is more from healthcare workers than daycare?
#10 of 10 Old 08-09-2007, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quirkylayne View Post
I'm planning to join a moms group this fall where my DS will be in a play group for an hour while I'm in another room. I would like to note in the "comments" section of his registration that he is not to be retracted. I'm not sure how to phrase this, I would like to keep it short. Or perhaps I should just say no diaper changes, come and get me? What have you done?
Maybe consider just telling whoever is going to be caring for him "He is intact, if he needs to be changed do not pull the skin back. If you aren't comfortable with that please come and get me"
The thing about just writing it on his form is that you can't really count on the person who maybe changing him to have read it.

senior majikfaerie cult member

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page