Why do people circumcise preemies? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 44 Old 08-24-2007, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I absolutely cannot wrap my head around this one. Can anybody explain why a prematurely-born infant, who has been struggling for his life and is finally stable enough to get the minimum amount of milk or formula down in order to be sent home, would be circumcised before discharge?

I happened to drop in on a preemies board (for an unrelated reason) and saw that these mothers are so excited that their sons are finally strong enough to be circumcised and sent home. It made me feel awful, like there is still soooo much work to be done. I am really feeling down. I didn't say anything b/c I didn't go there to pick a fight about circ, and goodness knows they have enough on their plates right now. But really, WHY? WHY? WHY?

Are we really making any difference? Are people ever going to stop this perversion?
#2 of 44 Old 08-24-2007, 08:27 PM

I work in the NICU and I hate to see the babies we have worked our butts off for have to go into more pain before they go home. I HATE looking at the prelim consent page and seeing that they do want to circ even though they had a 24-25-whatever week baby.

Rikki ~~ Married Aug 04 ~~ DD Feb 06 ~~ DS Oct 07 ~~ DD April 12

#3 of 44 Old 08-24-2007, 08:54 PM

This is so so sad. : I thought they didn't do this to preemies. I have a college friend who's doctor said he will not circ a preemie. So he is 11 now and uncut. His younger brother was born term and since he was, the parents had the doctor circumcise him. This mother told me she asked her 11 yr old if he wanted to be circumcised like his little brother and he said, "No Way!"

Wouldn't preemies be at greater risk of death if they were circumcised?
#4 of 44 Old 08-24-2007, 10:27 PM

They wouldn't circumcise my DH before he left the hospital. He was born at 26 weeks. He was circumcised when he was 3.

My nephew though was a preemie and he is circumcised, although I don't know when they had it done.

: Robyn : Increasingly crunchy Mama to Kya (8) , Makena (7) , and Keegan (4) :
#5 of 44 Old 08-24-2007, 10:31 PM

That is so sad. It all is.
#6 of 44 Old 08-24-2007, 10:32 PM

A woman came into the store where I work to buy a sling the other week, and told me she had preemie twins and the boy was almost ready to come home. I was so excited for her. Then she said he had been set to come home but he ended up having to stay 4 days longer was because he had just been circ'd and he crashed and needed to be stabilized. So not only did he lose a vital and functioning part of his body for no good reason, but he had to be separated from his parents for more than half a week more. : : WHY?!
#7 of 44 Old 08-24-2007, 10:39 PM

I knew someone who was very angry at the way I talked about circ. She had a preemie. She once said, "XX was circumcised the day he left the hospital and without anesthesia and he was just fine."

I don't get it either.
#8 of 44 Old 08-24-2007, 10:48 PM

My neighbor didn't have a premie but her DS did have quite a few problems at birth and needed to be in the 'special nursery' and I remember her being so happy that he was 'healthy enought to be circ'd'. I just couldn't believe that after all that he/they went through, it was a happy and exciting thing. Whenever I see him naked (which is often as he loves to strip) I cringe inside.

Kerrie Mama to DD 10 yo, DS 8 yo and DD 5  

#9 of 44 Old 08-24-2007, 10:58 PM - Thread Starter

THese stores are just chilling!
#10 of 44 Old 08-25-2007, 12:09 AM
Fi.

It's unfortunately like a milestone to some :\

Long distance Mom to boarding school superstars E (9) and Layne (6).
#11 of 44 Old 08-25-2007, 12:38 AM

Very sad. I knew a mommy who had a baby boy at 30 weeks last year. He was in the hospital for approximately two months. A few days before his release, mommy was soooo excited that her little boy was finally going to get circ'ed. I couldn't believe it. As if the poor kid hadn't suffered enough pain. :
#12 of 44 Old 08-25-2007, 01:17 AM

When I was in the NICU with my 1st ds, there was a very tiny, very sick baby in the next warmer. One day, I overheard his father ask a nurse when the baby could be circed. She stood there flabbergasted and finally ended up saying, "Maybe when he isn't fighting for his life".:

Momma to three fine children, one that lives in my heart and two that live in my arms.
Circumcision is wrong, regardless of gender
#13 of 44 Old 08-25-2007, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthmama369 View Post
A woman came into the store where I work to buy a sling the other week, and told me she had preemie twins and the boy was almost ready to come home. I was so excited for her. Then she said he had been set to come home but he ended up having to stay 4 days longer was because he had just been circ'd and he crashed and needed to be stabilized. So not only did he lose a vital and functioning part of his body for no good reason, but he had to be separated from his parents for more than half a week more. : : WHY?!
Oh yeah, the circ had nothing to do with his crashing...
#14 of 44 Old 08-25-2007, 01:28 AM

most people don't look at it as surgery, they think of it as a routine "procedure".
#15 of 44 Old 08-25-2007, 01:54 AM

Yes, for some it is a rite of passage, similar to the female genital mutiliation we see in some other (i.e., non-Western) cultures.
#16 of 44 Old 08-25-2007, 02:21 AM

I guess I just dont see how other people could do it when I could never bring myself to do it.

Wife of a Coastie, Mom to Rylin, Alden, Carden and Thumper coming Octoberstork-suprise.gifbfinfant.gifdp_femalesling.GIFsaynovax.gifsigncirc1.gifhomebirth.jpgribbonpink.gifHelping my mom fight breast cancer.

#17 of 44 Old 08-25-2007, 02:35 AM

It isn't anything that I would choose to do if I had a son, but I can imagine that I would be excited when my child was finally healthy enough to be eligible for circ because it would likely mean that he'd be healthy enough to come home sooner.
#18 of 44 Old 08-25-2007, 02:47 AM

If you have nothing nice to say....

Or what you would say is a UA violation....
#19 of 44 Old 08-25-2007, 05:31 AM

If circ is just what seem normal to you than being healthy enough to get circ'd means being healthy enough to do what all the other normal boys did.

We need to show people that circ is not normal. Then it will stop being a momment of normalicy.

Common is not the same as normal.

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos
#20 of 44 Old 08-25-2007, 06:51 PM

I don't understand this either, it makes me sick and just so mad. I don't understand it one bit and i never will.
#21 of 44 Old 08-25-2007, 08:59 PM

I just typed a note the other day on a 9-month-old preemie whose parents want him circumised. So now he's having his preop exam at 11 months and will get circumcised at a year. : : and a bunch of other emotions smilies can't express for me.

Bubba (9) bikenew.gifLukey (5) jog.gif  Fat Baby (2) babyf.gif  Me faint.gif

#22 of 44 Old 08-25-2007, 09:57 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelKnee View Post
When I was in the NICU with my 1st ds, there was a very tiny, very sick baby in the next warmer. One day, I overheard his father ask a nurse when the baby could be circed. She stood there flabbergasted and finally ended up saying, "Maybe when he isn't fighting for his life".:
Good for her!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eepster View Post
If circ is just what seem normal to you than being healthy enough to get circ'd means being healthy enough to do what all the other normal boys did.

We need to show people that circ is not normal. Then it will stop being a momment of normalicy.

Unfortunately, this probably would have been my thinking if my son had been a preemie. I knew nothing about circumscision except "that's what you do when you have a baby boy" and I probably would have been excited that he was healthy enough to be circumscised. Ugh.

But the good news is, I've been educated from lurking in this forum, so at any future bby boy who comes into contact with me will have educated parents through me. Maybe they won't think it's "normal".

I pray for the day Family Court recognizes that CHILDREN have rights, parents only have PRIVILEGES.  Only then, will I know my child is safe.
#23 of 44 Old 08-26-2007, 12:37 AM

There's a huge circ debate on another board I'm a member of. It just makes me sick. Someone had a preemie and circumcised him at 2 months old. If it's been 2 months and there aren't any problems, why the hell circumcise him at all? It's insane. Then I get all jumped on because I keep making comments about other people's comments. *sigh* Pardon me for not wanting little boys to be mutilated.
#24 of 44 Old 08-26-2007, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eepster View Post

I dunno if this was in response to what I wrote or not, but if so... I would feel the same if it were *any* surgical procedure - not just circ.

I'd never ask when my hypothetical future son could be circumcised, though, even if what I meant was, "When can I take him home?"
#25 of 44 Old 08-26-2007, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffer23 View Post
There's a huge circ debate on another board I'm a member of. It just makes me sick. Someone had a preemie and circumcised him at 2 months old. If it's been 2 months and there aren't any problems, why the hell circumcise him at all? It's insane. Then I get all jumped on because I keep making comments about other people's comments. *sigh* Pardon me for not wanting little boys to be mutilated.
Subjective morality is fun for everyone!

Oh wait, I mean... it's fun for some people if they like it, and if others don't, that's okay too.

: :

On a more serious note, I'm really glad people like you are making comments. That's how change starts, right?
#26 of 44 Old 08-26-2007, 02:52 PM

As vile as I think it is to put a preemie through unnecessary surgery, I do believe that many mothers simply don't know better. They're fed lies by doctors, by the media, they're told "leave it up to the one with the penis" not realizing that they're the ones with intact foreskins.

There's just a lack of education. There's often horror when there's such ignorance running rampant. And with the potential revision of the AAP's statement, I feel sicker than ever. I just want to leave this country and escape this pervasive madness... It seems this battle can't be won.
#27 of 44 Old 08-26-2007, 03:35 PM

Does anyone have any links to articles or research I can show my friend, who is due to have a C-section at 36 weeks? She plans on circing but is at least open to what I have to say about it so I think if I can show her the risks- too much blood loss, going into shock, etc are higher since her son will be a preemie, then maybe she will reconsider.

If my son were a preemie I would have been even more of a mama bear about circ, even full term babies are just so fragile and no one has a right to inflict that on them. What is wrong with people?

Jen read.gif Mama of 2 precious boys blowkiss.gif (9)  flowersforyou.gif (6)  and still in heartbeat.gif with my Matt hat.gif after 12 years together. 

rainbow1284.gif Domestic Violence Children's Advocate and Counselor hug2.gif

homebirth.jpg bf.jpg nocirc.gif ribbonjigsaw.gif 

#28 of 44 Old 08-26-2007, 09:55 PM

This just boggles my mind and makes me want to .

My boss circ'd her baby who was full-term but weighed only 4 pounds. I had even thought to myself, at least the poor kid won't be circ'd since he's so small and unstable. Wrong. (But, this is the same woman who wouldn't breastfeed because it's "too much work", gives her 3-month old rice cereal, lets him CIO, and lets him watch Baby Einstein DVDs.

Quote:
Very well-said.
#29 of 44 Old 08-27-2007, 09:48 PM

I have a very close friend who was born at 25wks 23 yrs ago. He was very tiny, just 1.5lbs and very sick. As you can imagine it is miraculous that at that time he even survived. At 5wks he had to have heart surgery and his father requested the surgical nurse that he be circumcised during the heart surgery. She said it would be no problem and whisked him away. Now keep in mind he was probably 2.5lbs at the time and very very sick, going in for heart surgery (no idea what his father was thinking). Well the surgeon said no way he was doing that with the baby so very sick and just having heart surgery, it was crazy. So then he made it to 5lbs and was ready to be released and the nurse came around and said that the cardiologist had released him to go home and they could circumcise him now. Apparently his mother said "What the H@ll are you talking about!!!! He's just fought so hard to survive all this and you want to take him and inflict more pain?!?!?!!?!? What is wrong with you." Apparently she was anti circ from the start, they dont' do it in her family. The nurse told her that her husband had wanted it done and it really was best to protect him from infections because he was a premie. : Well she told her that because he was a premie he was at much greater risk from that surgery and it wouldnt' be done. The nurse went on for a while about how it was best, but she never budged and he went home intact. He is still intact, never had a single problem (that he has ever mentioned anyway). He's very grateful to his mother. However his father was apparently annoyed that his wife refused the circumcision and tried repeatedly to have it done when he was a small child. He always gave his son a hard time about it. My friend hates his father for a host of reasons, circumcision being only a small factor, but he always said he thought his father felt inferior because part of his penis was missing.
#30 of 44 Old 08-27-2007, 09:55 PM

23 years ago he may have been operated on without pain meds - just a paralytic.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page