Cookie mag. article on re-circs - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 54 Old 09-23-2007, 11:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs-Mama View Post
And, is it just me, or are the graphics shown online completely inappropriate?
I don't think it's just you. I thought the graphics were kind of sleazy too...
#32 of 54 Old 09-23-2007, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carriebft View Post
Wonderful letter LAdy Madonna.

We need more. Please write!!
Did you write a letter? I had a dream last night that your letter was published in their next issue.
Wouldn't that be something.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs-Mama View Post
I read the article online.

ITA with all pp's comments. And, is it just me, or are the graphics shown online completely inappropriate?
Yes! Completely inappropriate! My dh laughed at them, btw. Laughing is his way of making fun of the ridiculous illustrations. I nearly puked!
#33 of 54 Old 09-23-2007, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitful womb View Post
Did you write a letter? I had a dream last night that your letter was published in their next issue.
Wouldn't that be something.

Yes! Completely inappropriate! My dh laughed at them, btw. Laughing is his way of making fun of the ridiculous illustrations. I nearly puked!
Oh i hope so! Its in my mailbox now...I am doing a snail mail one. I hand wrote it but these were my points:

-the article did not adequately examine why loose circumcision are preferred by doctors now except to say that they are avoiding law suits (however, they did not mention that this was because of the dangers of a tight circumcision- erections, pain, etc)

- I addressed the first quote wherein the parents said their child 'wouldnt look like most babies" and that he would always look like something was botched- mentioning that BEFORE his circumcision he looked perfectly normal, just like 80% of men in the world

- I talked a while about how this article confirms the cosemtic nature of circumcision and brings to the surface the very real problem americans have of placing too much emphasis on aesthetics-- so much so that they would put their child through not one but TWO or more cosemtic surgeries on the most sensitive part of their body....all in the name of making them look more sexually pleasing and 'normal'

- I questioned what kind of doctor could ever participate in this

"Parents are simply trustees; they do not own the bodies of their children"-Norm Cohen  Martial arts instructor intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif and mom to 4: DD1 (1/05) DS (7/06) DD2 (5/08) DD3 (2/11)
#34 of 54 Old 09-23-2007, 11:57 PM

The biggest danger with a re-circ, buried/trapped penis, will also make it so their sons dont "match" all the other boys in the locker room. It's a condition far more embarrassing than possessing a foreskin. Their sons definitely won't be thanking them for that. I wonder how these sick, superficial parents would feel if they knew they were the cause of that? :
#35 of 54 Old 09-24-2007, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carriebft View Post
Oh i hope so! Its in my mailbox now...I am doing a snail mail one. I hand wrote it but these were my points:

-the article did not adequately examine why loose circumcision are preferred by doctors now except to say that they are avoiding law suits (however, they did not mention that this was because of the dangers of a tight circumcision- erections, pain, etc)

- I addressed the first quote wherein the parents said their child 'wouldnt look like most babies" and that he would always look like something was botched- mentioning that BEFORE his circumcision he looked perfectly normal, just like 80% of men in the world

- I talked a while about how this article confirms the cosemtic nature of circumcision and brings to the surface the very real problem americans have of placing too much emphasis on aesthetics-- so much so that they would put their child through not one but TWO or more cosemtic surgeries on the most sensitive part of their body....all in the name of making them look more sexually pleasing and 'normal'

- I questioned what kind of doctor could ever participate in this
Wow!
Good Points!
#36 of 54 Old 09-24-2007, 12:57 AM

#37 of 54 Old 09-30-2007, 06:06 PM

Bumping to subscribe and to encourage more letters and emails!
#38 of 54 Old 09-30-2007, 07:20 PM
A&A

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErinsJuneBug View Post
Wow perfect timing! I read this entire thread today with great disgust....then came home to find a letter from cookie magazine trying to get me to subscribe. YA RIGHT! HA!
Send them a letter back, telling them why you won't be subscribing. That's what I did.

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#39 of 54 Old 09-30-2007, 07:43 PM

I emailed them....and I agree those illustrations were very strange. An all around disturbing article.

Stephanie ~ Mama to Avery (7/07) & Iona (3/10)
#40 of 54 Old 09-30-2007, 08:21 PM

OMG- I didn't even read the article, but clicked the link just to see what the illustrations were. I wanted to vomit. A carrot peeler? : Are you effin' KIDDING ME??? I can't believe they would put those kind of pics by an article like this. That is disgusting!

::Mommy to Pixie : 9-3-00 and Peri 11-15-07
#41 of 54 Old 09-30-2007, 08:27 PM

Wow...ya know...I just don't get the whole complaint...they just didn't take enough off. Could you imagine a poor little baby beibg strapped twice? I wonder if they know what is coming the second time around? Wonder if anyone told the moms about the fact that the drs are afraid to take too much now and why...you know risk of too tight etc.
#42 of 54 Old 09-30-2007, 08:42 PM

Just checked out the on-line article. A peeled banana with a line across the tip? Who are the sickos? :Puke

Mamma to 3! nurslings Emma (4) Daniel (3) and our new baby Beth! 10/10/09
#43 of 54 Old 09-30-2007, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TryingMyBest View Post
...Could you imagine a poor little baby beibg strapped twice? I wonder if they know what is coming the second time around? ...
Those poor babies

Wife to J, SAHM to W (03/06) ribboncesarean.gif at 32w4d, C (10/08) ribboncesarean.gif, and H (02/11) ribboncesarean.gif

#44 of 54 Old 10-01-2007, 01:10 AM

Terrible. I will email them, too. How ironic that they talk about circumcision being "all about informed consent" at the end of the article. Give me a break. The only person who truly deserves informed consent isn't getting it because he's too young and vulnerable.
#45 of 54 Old 10-02-2007, 06:28 PM

I've been working on a letter in my head, too. Need to get it in the mail this week. I think it is always best to send snail (I usually do both) because it makes more of an impact.

I am a new subscriber and will be cancelling my subscription. Heretofore I enjoyed the mag.
#46 of 54 Old 10-03-2007, 04:39 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Also in the magazine there was an article about an "eco" business owned by two moms and the one mom said that they wanted eco items but not the "hemp and cloth diaper extreme." Also she still uses paper towels b/c there is no "viable alternative." Ummmmm... regular cloth towels? And then you wash them? Anyway, that's the kind of snobby superficial moms this mag is for.

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 due Dec. 2014
#47 of 54 Old 10-03-2007, 10:53 PM

My detest of the magazine grows...the author of that circ article was a contributor on the book "The Complete Organic Pregnancy" also, check out that issue for the pro-plastic toys article. The author slams parents who buy wooden toys because they...get ready...don't go with the style of their house.
Totally misses the point!!!
#48 of 54 Old 10-04-2007, 09:44 PM

has anyone heard back? is there a new issue out? maybe something was printed

"Parents are simply trustees; they do not own the bodies of their children"-Norm Cohen  Martial arts instructor intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif and mom to 4: DD1 (1/05) DS (7/06) DD2 (5/08) DD3 (2/11)
#49 of 54 Old 01-10-2008, 06:14 PM

As far as I know, nothing was printed in response.

I actually let the ball drop and didn't finish the letter until today. I'm printing it now and it will go out tomorrow.

Here it is in case anyone has feedback.

To whom it may concern,

I am recently subscribed to your magazine, and heretofore enjoyed it. That is, until I read your shockingly irresponsible piece, “Getting the Shaft”. Parents choosing to have elective genital reduction surgery done on their infants, is bad enough. Contrary to the tone of your article, thinking your son’s penis hasn’t been deprived of enough of its most sensitive and protective parts, and having more carved off, is a mind-blowing human rights violation and an abuse of parental privilege, not just some aesthetic detail. Simply the fact that some parents are obsessing over whether or not Johnny’s penis is cute enough, just gives me the creeps.

Circumcision has, in some dubious but well-publicized studies, been shown to reduce female-to-male HIV transmission. So does condom use. The USA has the highest rate of medicalized circumcision, and also the highest rate of HIV infection in the industrialized world. (For more information on this, please refer to the helpful pamphlet found here: http://www.nocirc.org/publish/11-HIV.pdf ) Clearly, circumcision does not constitute effective disease prevention. Nevertheless, many parents initially justify their decision to use to get their babies cut by this rationale. Repeat circumcisions are just more pain for the boy, and more money in the pocket of unscrupulous doctors who are willing to capitalize on the insecurities of image-obsessed parents and the loopholes of insurance policies.

I was actually about to give a subscription as a gift to an expecting friend—but no longer trust your magazine as a reliable source of information for new moms. Please cancel my subscription and send me the remainder of the fee.

Sincerely,

Me
#50 of 54 Old 01-23-2008, 10:24 AM

I just read this article.
Its actually scares me.
First off the pictures they post on cookie's website are extremely inappropriate.

And what some of these parents say.
"How was he going to feel about his penis, his sexuality?" says Socarides.
What are they teaching their child.

What if he decided he didn't want to be circ'd.
Then his parents would be all like but we wanted you to be like everyone else so you'd love yourself? huh?

Thats what it sounds like to me. Your teaching your kid that looks matter just by saying how was he going to feel? Maybe he'd not want it done to him? Makes me so upset. Parent's don't own their children. Children are people too.

I also like how they say the AAP is "neutral" on circ.
I thought the AAP says its not necessary for the child's well being.
They never say you don't have to do it.

And what really took the cake is this last commit.

"Socarides says her pregnant friends now discuss with their obstetricians how much foreskin they want taken off beforehand. Timothy Johnson, M.D., chair of the University of Michigan department of obstetrics and gynecology, applauds them. "Parents should ask, 'Do you believe in taking a lot or a little off?'" he says. "It should truly be informed consent." In the whirl of nursery decorating and name picking, it's easy to back-burner a frank talk about foreskin. But if you've decided to circumcise, this is one area where you probably shouldn't play it loose."

WT*. All penises are different what happens when a parent wants a "daddy" type circ. "oh I want it too be tight like daddy's." What if the kid's a grower. meaning his penis grows during an erection. And you've taken off too much?
I swear I'm done or I'm going to explode.
#51 of 54 Old 01-23-2008, 10:38 AM

Did you say 3rd circ?
I've heard stories of men that keep getting recirced.
Too many circs can cause impotence.
I'm going to volimit now.
#52 of 54 Old 01-23-2008, 12:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan1097 View Post
Umm... what is an article about penises doing in "Cookie" magazine?
well, didn't you know, foreskin is a secret ingredient of their cookies :
(just kidding)...
#53 of 54 Old 01-23-2008, 04:37 PM

OMG! I read this thread earlier today and, then, just now I received an email from Stride Rite saying they are giving away a year's subscription to Cookie with an online purchase.

:

Partner to DH geek.gif and Former WOHM, now SAHM dizzy.gif to Sensory & ADHD DD (9), with DD (4) and DS (2)nocirc.gif winner.jpghomebirth.jpg

#54 of 54 Old 01-23-2008, 05:33 PM

It's funny that I just came accross this thread today. I just received Cookie magazine in the mail yesterday. I think I got it free when I bought something. Can't really remember. I read an article in there about a mother letting her ds wear a pink dress to school and went to their forums to see what they were saying about it.

Anyway, I looked through all their forums and posted on the pregnancy board a link to the nocirc full disclosure. And that was before I came here and read this thread.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page