Oprah on circumcision today? - Page 4 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#91 of 115 Old 10-06-2007, 11:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ummzaidan View Post
I've been convincing DH why we should not circ our 8month old. Yesterday he comes to me saying he watched the Oprah and how everyone should be circ'd etc. So all the work I've done has gone out the window thanks to her UNINFORMED show!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My DH is Muslim as well, so the convincing has been difficult but I had really made some progress!

Please is anyone doing a letter writing campaign? Do we just send the letters to the website. I'm so irate that's she's such a powerful woman and would let some uninformed Dr. inform so many parents.

Thanks!
I'm very proud of your husband's willingness to accept that his son's foreskin belongs to him. I understand that it's a process that he's not a custom to.
#92 of 115 Old 10-06-2007, 11:46 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by savienu View Post
Slightly OT but, if foreskin is used to culture more skin, would a reconstruction of the foreskin be possible from a circ'd man, say if he "borrowed" foreskin cells from an intact man?
So we pay the doctors to cut it off, they sell it, and then we pay to have it put back on? :
#93 of 115 Old 10-07-2007, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ummzaidan View Post
Please is anyone doing a letter writing campaign? Do we just send the letters to the website. I'm so irate that's she's such a powerful woman and would let some uninformed Dr. inform so many parents.
I agree. I sent a letter and anti-circ information and resource sheets to both of the addresses I posted above, in addition to e-mailing through the form on her website.

stillheart.gif = Pariah, Super Mom + The Amazing Wiggy (1/06)superhero.gifangel.gif  (6/08)  52 Projects: 0/52  Decluttering Challenge: 37/2013

#94 of 115 Old 10-07-2007, 12:31 AM

My son is circ'ed, and he isnt the best washer and let me tell you that little fella gets pretty damn nasty sometimes and he cant figure out why his penis is all red and irriatated, I have to remind him that he has to wash it, like move the skin around (he still has skin) and like wash it. (he is 8 by the way, i dont bathe him anymore) So what he was saying about the boys who arent cir'ed need to be more aware, he is full of it... he needs to talk to my 8 year old lol
#95 of 115 Old 10-07-2007, 02:49 PM

Oh Dr. Oz, I expected better from you!
#96 of 115 Old 10-07-2007, 08:50 PM

I wrote too. I don't watch her show but love her magazine. Now, I won't buy it.

If she gets lots of letters, maybe she'll have to pay attention.

Usually, Oprah is pretty good at thinking outside the box of American culture.

#97 of 115 Old 10-08-2007, 03:59 AM

Remember this his the background of this doctor;

http://www.viceland.com/int/v14n9/ht...php?country=ca
#98 of 115 Old 10-08-2007, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kxsiven View Post
Remember this his the background of this doctor;

http://www.viceland.com/int/v14n9/ht...php?country=ca
OMG! I'm glad that thing opened in a partial window. It took me a second to realize what I was seeing!:
#99 of 115 Old 10-08-2007, 09:01 PM

:

Twin boys 04/2005 : Support breastfeeding rights at FirstRight.Org : warrior
Face the rear for MORE than a year! Toddlers' necks are safest in a rear facing carseat
#100 of 115 Old 10-09-2007, 11:34 PM

Deserves a bump... and more letters.

Jessica

Jessica..lady.gifintactlact.gif Falling in love all over again..... 
Dhprivateeyes.gif, Joshua rolleyes.gif Rebeccagrouphug.gifand dog2.gif.    candle.gif for Laura
#101 of 115 Old 10-10-2007, 06:59 AM

I did write to both the doctor and Oprah's production team. Wrote some chosen(but polite)words from Scandinavian POV.
#102 of 115 Old 10-10-2007, 01:56 PM

The fact that he is standing there wearing scrubs on national TV is annoying enough to me to not listen to a word he says. I mean, c'mon! We all know you are a doctor, why are you wearing scrubs? Wear a shirt and tie for goodness sake. It's so pompous.

I haven't watched it yet, just looked at the website. I have it on the DVR but can't decide if I want to bother. I think it will just annoy me.

Thank goodness my DH doesn't care about his boys "looking like Daddy"!
#103 of 115 Old 10-11-2007, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinasquirrel View Post
The fact that he is standing there wearing scrubs on national TV is annoying enough to me to not listen to a word he says. I mean, c'mon! We all know you are a doctor, why are you wearing scrubs? Wear a shirt and tie for goodness sake. It's so pompous.
That is hilarious.

I just sent an email.
#104 of 115 Old 10-11-2007, 02:23 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I sent Oprah an email.
#105 of 115 Old 12-28-2007, 07:41 PM

I realize this thread is a few months old now but it is the first time I saw it. It surprises me that a stance FOR circumcision would be given on Oprah given how against FGM she is. Frankly it's disturbing that she would think it is okay for boys but not girls. I was saddened when I first read the responses on Oprah's website but by the end there really more responses against - than for. Thank you to all of those who spoke up against it.

Mama to my sweet Sophia, born at home on 4/6/11.

namaste.gif

#106 of 115 Old 12-28-2007, 07:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gridley13 View Post
I can not stand when people talk about the nasty smegma etc etc... how incredibly insulting is that to all the intact men all over Europe, Canada...

oh and to my SON as well. :
And women. Don't forget about all the women with smegma!
#107 of 115 Old 12-30-2007, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
Of course intact boys have more infections in the USA when parents and medical "professionals" don't know the proper way to care for an intact penis. I wonder what the infection rate is in countries where circ is NOT the norm.

And why on earth did they get a heart surgeon to talk about circ? Wouldn't a urologist have been more appropriate? Or at least a GP?
because hes a famous doctor. famous people get more viewings and people to listen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilkTrance View Post
After Oprah's recent shows -- Jenny McCarthy, Michael Moore, etc. -- I'm very surprised and very, very disappointed. And very angry.

she had her son circd so his penis would be pretty.
#108 of 115 Old 12-30-2007, 04:08 PM

nak...just wanted to add, i never saw this episode but my mom did (and this is when i was still preggo) and she was pro-circ...AFTER watching she CHANGED her mind and called me to say she was glad that i wouldn't be circing (if i was going to have a boy...which we didn't know bcuz we opted not to find out) because circ is not nec. and would lessen his sexual pleasure as an adult! SOOOO my point is, if it changed her mind and made her pro-intact, it prob did to others too

p.s. one of the best things that came from the show was the msseage of it not being a nec. thing....i think a lot of women assume it just needs to happen,,,this episode taught otherwise!

me, dh and 2 boys = our family (oh and a cat...who is also a male...lol)
#109 of 115 Old 12-31-2007, 01:04 AM

I just saw this thread and had to comment

The foreskin is protection to the penis!! This statement made me mad "Most guys who are uncircumcised have the foreskin leading off. This touches the pants and it gets scarred after a while" Actually no, DH looks pretty normal to me. In fact don't you think that men who are circ'd, their penis is the one scarred since it's leading off??

Sarah. Wife to Pearry, mama to Pearry II and Isabella Rose, born Breech at home and Benjamin, our January 1st bebe intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpg

#110 of 115 Old 12-31-2007, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollytheteacher View Post
p.s. one of the best things that came from the show was the msseage of it not being a nec. thing....i think a lot of women assume it just needs to happen,,,this episode taught otherwise!

I am still shocked when I hear that. I am circed, but I see uncut guys in the locker room from time to time, I knew friends who are uncut.
One of my female friends wrote on her online blog after taking this human sexuality class, and she said something like "o, and I learned something in class today, guys dont have to be circumcised"

I was so shocked she said that, she is a smart person. I just cant understand people wont use the logic that if foreskins were so bad for guys, evolution would have taken it away, a long time ago.
Like it seems so crazy that anyone would ever think that a body part NEEDED to be cut off for living!
#111 of 115 Old 12-31-2007, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2anangel View Post
I just saw this thread and had to comment

The foreskin is protection to the penis!! This statement made me mad "Most guys who are uncircumcised have the foreskin leading off. This touches the pants and it gets scarred after a while" Actually no, DH looks pretty normal to me. In fact don't you think that men who are circ'd, their penis is the one scarred since it's leading off??
Wouldn't that mean, IF the foreskin wasn't there then the glans would "touch the pants and get scarred after a while" ? There is no logic in what he says AT ALL! Except that he did say the surgery wasn't necessary.
#112 of 115 Old 12-31-2007, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitful womb View Post
Wouldn't that mean, IF the foreskin wasn't there then the glans would "touch the pants and get scarred after a while" ? There is no logic in what he says AT ALL! Except that he did say the surgery wasn't necessary.
I wish someone in the audience raised his hand and called him out on it.
#113 of 115 Old 12-31-2007, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perspective View Post
One of my female friends wrote on her online blog after taking this human sexuality class, and she said something like "o, and I learned something in class today, guys dont have to be circumcised"

I was so shocked she said that, she is a smart person. I just cant understand people wont use the logic that if foreskins were so bad for guys, evolution would have taken it away, a long time ago.
Like it seems so crazy that anyone would ever think that a body part NEEDED to be cut off for living!
When most of my friends were born (1970s and early 80s), many of our parents thought it was illegal NOT to circ-- just like it is illegal NOT to vaccinate... Many times, parents weren't given a choice,or the choice they had was cohereced (and sill is today). And most of that generation that I know thought it was like cutting the umbilical cord, something that HAD to be done.

I'm very glad that some people took the message away from Oprah that circ is unneccessary! I didn't watch, but from this thread, and oprah.com, it looked really bad.

---feeling like an emu on acid---
#114 of 115 Old 12-31-2007, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thixle View Post
When most of my friends were born (1970s and early 80s), many of our parents thought it was illegal NOT to circ-- just like it is illegal NOT to vaccinate...
REALLY! That makes me feel kinda sick inside. I am happy my parents were not like that. My older brother was circed. But my twin brother was left intact, and I would have been to, if it was not for my medical issues. He was not cut because we were premature, but my parents never took him back in. From that, and a few other things I know my parents never thought it was required, but they also never saw any harm in it. I think I would want to throw up if my own parents thought part of my body needed to be removed because it was "gross"
#115 of 115 Old 09-14-2008, 10:50 PM

Felt that this issue needed another bump... as well as more e-mails and letters.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page