smegma pearls or cysts in toddlers? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 10-07-2007, 01:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
so i think my 15 month old little boy's foreskin is starting to retract. i've seen him stretch it out and push it back down (until i can actually see a glimps of the urinary opening) while he's sitting or wandering around without his diaper. but about 3 or 4 days ago, i was changing him and saw that the right side of his penis has what almost looks like a sort of large blister under the skin near the base of his head. he is not bothered by it at all and he is peeing just fine. it looks odd to me, but i just finished reading the thread one mom is working on about normal intact development and i'm wondering if he could have a smegma pearl already or if it is something i should worry about. any thoughts?

Crunchy Mama to the Triad of Chaos-- DD1 (9/03) & the Twinadoes- DS and DD2 (6/06)
#2 of 13 Old 10-07-2007, 02:08 AM

Sounds like a smegma pearl to me. Can you shift it around any? Does it feel hard of soft? It does sound like he is starting to seperate some.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#3 of 13 Old 10-07-2007, 02:18 AM - Thread Starter

i've resisted the urge to poke at it too much but it does seem to move some. it just seems rather large in proportion to his penis i guess, so that's the thing that sort of made me worry a little.

we just moved to another state and i haven't found a ped i trust yet, so i'm hesitant to take him in somewhere when it doesn't seem to be bothering him, KWIM? but there's always that nagging mama guilt with it's crazy hyperbole- think Swartzengger in Kindergarten Cop what if it's a tumor?

Crunchy Mama to the Triad of Chaos-- DD1 (9/03) & the Twinadoes- DS and DD2 (6/06)
#4 of 13 Old 10-07-2007, 02:55 AM

Smegma pearls can get quiet large in comparison to a tiny penis. I have heard of them being the size of a pea. I hear you about worrying though I worry about everything to.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#5 of 13 Old 10-07-2007, 03:00 AM

My older son had a smegma pearl at the base of the foreskin that started when he was about a year old, gradually grew quite large to where penis looked quite lopsided. It discharged all by itself as about a 1/4 tsp of whitish, pasty-dry, odorless material when he was 3. I just left it alone, and it took care of itself in time.

Gillian
#6 of 13 Old 10-07-2007, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter

size of a pea is about right. that's more than likely what it is. thanks ladies.

#7 of 13 Old 10-07-2007, 08:59 PM

oops, posted reply to the wrong thread here...

but I agree, sounds like a smegma pearl. My son seems to have them sometimes, but slightly larger than pea size.

Jessica

Jessica..lady.gifintactlact.gif Falling in love all over again..... 
Dhprivateeyes.gif, Joshua rolleyes.gif Rebeccagrouphug.gifand dog2.gif.    candle.gif for Laura
#8 of 13 Old 09-20-2008, 08:24 PM

its swoolen on one whole side of his penis! I didn't know what was going on and i was flipping out lol!

I was so concerned b/c i live in Iowa and I know they would react with "well this is why boys are suppose to be circed" and forcably retract him to check. So I have been researching online and talking to D.O.C (they are just wonderful)! I tried soaking him in epsom salt baths and that didnt work doc said to avoid bubble bathes too for a bit b/c it may cause more irritation. he thought it might be from balooning.

You guys say this will go away on its own right?
#9 of 13 Old 09-20-2008, 09:14 PM

Say No To Circ Yep if it is a smegma pearl it will work its way out as he becomes more retractable. If it is a cyst then that also will go away over time.

Here is a thread you may find helpful http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=764732

#10 of 13 Old 09-20-2008, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stTimeMummytoLore View Post
so i think my 15 month old little boy's foreskin is starting to retract. i've seen him stretch it out and push it back down (until i can actually see a glimps of the urinary opening) while he's sitting or wandering around without his diaper. but about 3 or 4 days ago, i was changing him and saw that the right side of his penis has what almost looks like a sort of large blister under the skin near the base of his head. he is not bothered by it at all and he is peeing just fine. it looks odd to me, but i just finished reading the thread one mom is working on about normal intact development and i'm wondering if he could have a smegma pearl already or if it is something i should worry about. any thoughts?
Yeah, nothing to worry about. When it comes to your sons penis there is one rule of thumb to always follow: "When in doubt, don't worry about it." More often then not problems are not problems at all. Its when parents over-worry about things is when the real damage can be caused, (circs, forced retractions, cleaning with rubbing alcohol, etc...) .
#11 of 13 Old 09-20-2008, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stTimeMummytoLore View Post
but there's always that nagging mama guilt with it's crazy hyperbole- think Swartzengger in Kindergarten Cop what if it's a tumor?
I do that a lot. Then DH steps in with Schwarzenegger's reply: "It's NOT a TUMOR."

I agree that if it isn't bothering him, don't worry about it. Sounds like a smegma pearl.
#12 of 13 Old 09-20-2008, 10:17 PM

Say No To Circ bumped the thread up with similar issue post #8

#13 of 13 Old 09-21-2008, 06:26 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Say_No_To_Circ View Post
its swoolen on one whole side of his penis! I didn't know what was going on and i was flipping out lol!

I was so concerned b/c i live in Iowa and I know they would react with "well this is why boys are suppose to be circed" and forcably retract him to check. So I have been researching online and talking to D.O.C (they are just wonderful)! I tried soaking him in epsom salt baths and that didnt work doc said to avoid bubble bathes too for a bit b/c it may cause more irritation. he thought it might be from balooning.

You guys say this will go away on its own right?
Make you wonder what they'd to a girl w/ discharge. Absolutely nothing. : So boys deserve to be treated w/ the same non-extreme amputation solutions.

BTW, I love your name! Welcome aboard!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page