Circumcision and the Military - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 40 Old 11-20-2007, 04:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The one thing you don't have to worry about on a nuclear sub, and all our subs are now nuclear, is water. There is an unlimited supply made by the evaporators. I think this is just another myth or someone's way to get a man to get circed.
#32 of 40 Old 11-20-2007, 04:56 PM

My dear brother is in town this weekend. He is a navy engineer who works on submarines. He is deployed 3 months at a time, submerged for most of that. He said, and I quote:

"The circumcision for water shortage thing is total crappola. I've been deployed for 3 months on 3 off for 4 years now and I know of many who are not circumcised. No one has ever thrown that crap at us. It's a total lie and I would explain the water working on a submarine but you wouldn't get it"

so there ya have it

I told him he should come here sometime this week and tell us all about the water workings!

(and, fyi, apparently there is a lot more penis talk going on on submarines than I care to think about! )

"Parents are simply trustees; they do not own the bodies of their children"-Norm Cohen  Martial arts instructor intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif and mom to 4: DD1 (1/05) DS (7/06) DD2 (5/08) DD3 (2/11)
#33 of 40 Old 11-20-2007, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave2GA View Post
The one thing you don't have to worry about on a nuclear sub, and all our subs are now nuclear, is water. There is an unlimited supply made by the evaporators. I think this is just another myth or someone's way to get a man to get circed.
Yes, this is exactly what my brother summed up-- he said they have this thing that takes in the salt water, heats it, then cools the vapor back into water and makes thousands of gallons of fresh water every couple hours.

"Parents are simply trustees; they do not own the bodies of their children"-Norm Cohen  Martial arts instructor intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif and mom to 4: DD1 (1/05) DS (7/06) DD2 (5/08) DD3 (2/11)
#34 of 40 Old 11-20-2007, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papai View Post
If that's the case, then does that mean women cannot serve in the submarine service? Because surely with menstrual cycles and other vaginal discharge, having no access to water would be a bad thing.
I *think* that women are not allowed to do submarine service.
#35 of 40 Old 11-21-2007, 02:06 AM

The submariner thing is just ridiculous... too many holes in someone's theory that would sink that ship...

The other method of being in war-like conditions is the power pee method (I made that name up). Pee, but hold the foreskin closed till there is some pressure-- release. Uses the urine stream to keep things 'tidy' enough. Sure, not optimal, but couldn't me much worse than using baby wipes... uugh. Those things can be nasty.

Heck, there's plenty of salt water around too- right?

And yeah, if they are that concerned then women better not be allowed in the submarines.

Jessica

Jessica..lady.gifintactlact.gif Falling in love all over again..... 
Dhprivateeyes.gif, Joshua rolleyes.gif Rebeccagrouphug.gifand dog2.gif.    candle.gif for Laura
#36 of 40 Old 11-21-2007, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carriebft View Post
My dear brother is in town this weekend. He is a navy engineer who works on submarines. He is deployed 3 months at a time, submerged for most of that. He said, and I quote:

"The circumcision for water shortage thing is total crappola. I've been deployed for 3 months on 3 off for 4 years now and I know of many who are not circumcised. No one has ever thrown that crap at us. It's a total lie and I would explain the water working on a submarine but you wouldn't get it"

so there ya have it
It might not be a rule...but it is what my DH was told when he was in. And its what some other guys were told as well. My DH is circ'd though, so he wouldn't have had any reason to really question the validity of someone telling him that, because it didn't impact him personally. It is however the only reason he wanted our sons circ'd...so I completely believe him when he says that's what he was told. The navy is a big tradition in his family, and what he was told was the only reason he wanted our kids to get it done at birth....so they wouldn't have to have it done as adults if they wanted to follow in daddy's footsteps....(don't flame me for that one...he legitimately believed that...it's not my fault).
#37 of 40 Old 11-21-2007, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleine Hexe View Post
I *think* that women are not allowed to do submarine service.
When my DH got out in '00, women were not allowed to do service on a submarine. My DH was a part of a group that worked on working out a feasable way to allow women on submarines, but he said that the program was scrapped and they made the decision to not go forward with it at that time.

I don't know if they've made any changes or if they allow it now, but 7 years ago, they didn't.
#38 of 40 Old 11-21-2007, 05:29 PM

My ex was born in the 50s and intact, he was in the military for over 6 years when I met him still intact.
#39 of 40 Old 11-21-2007, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessjgh1 View Post
The submariner thing is just ridiculous... too many holes in someone's theory that would sink that ship...
Lol, I don't know if you'd call that a pun or what, but it's horrible.

Me, my Sweetie , DD 1 (Dec 07),  and DD 2 (Dec 09). Co-sleeping, delayed-vaxing, quia Lutherans!
#40 of 40 Old 11-22-2007, 12:32 AM

My dad (born in 1943) was intact. He was in the Navy for 10 years and was still intact.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page