Do you ever read siggies and wonder... - Page 4 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#91 of 107 Old 11-21-2007, 09:41 PM
 
njeb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Iowa
Posts: 2,002
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
No one has mentioned this reason yet, so I thought I would.

I had the same experience as the OP; wondering why a poster had homebirth, bf, cloth diaper/EC icons but no anti-circ. siggie. Then I re-read the siggie--she has all girls!
njeb is offline  
#92 of 107 Old 11-22-2007, 01:21 AM
 
fruitful womb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Fort Worth TX
Posts: 2,306
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by anubis View Post
I've been thinking of putting the no-circ smilie in my sig ever since I first learned that RIC exists in the US. I would like to, but then I start thinking and then I wuss out for a couple of reasons.

1. I'm not in the US, and the issue isn't something I have had/will have to personally face. In conversations with pro-circ Americans I've been told I shouldn't have an opinion on something I don't have to deal with myself. I disagree (not to mention that I find it hilariously hypocritical, what with the US playing world police and "solving" other countries' problems all the time), but I don't want to get into that argument again.

2. I don't have children. I've been told in circ debates that I have too much interest in kids' genitals when I don't even have any of my own. Basically implying that I'm a complete perv. Again, I find that argument ridiculous as I see RIC as a human rights issue, but I don't want to get into that argument either.

I do have the pink/blue ribbon in my sig, but I think it's more well known in the pg/infant loss sense (which is the reason I first put it there). I'm still kind of on the fence about putting the no-circ guy there.
I'm glad you brought this up. I haven't been able to collect my thoughts on this properly so I'm just going to lay it out there, sorry if I offend anyone. USA -policing and trying to solve other countries problems... Thats a GREAT point you've made. I wish other countries would police us here in the USA re: RIC. I wish other countries would at least voice their opinion about Americans being so STOOOPID (generally speaking) for allowing such an atrocity to continue! Other countries have already proven they're academically advanced compared to the smartest American. Yup, you read that right, an average non-American (from a developed country) is smarter than the smartest American. (Info from a Concluded Study comparing the children's performance in schools.) Just Google: "Stupid in America"

I would appreciate it if those countries would help us out!!! Most Americans are shocked when they learn that other countries don't do this to their newborns. As the pro-circ's believe, "They should follow the American way and circ their men and newborns!"
  • 1991 Edgar J. Schoen tries and fails to convince European countries to institute mass circumcision.
  • 1997 Edgar J. Schoen tries and fails once again to convince European countries to institute mass circumcision.
  • 1998 Howard Stang, inventor of an infant circumcision restraint fails to mention this conflict of interest in his article promoting infant circumcision.

If other countries outcried loud enough for the American citizens to notice, many of us would see just how much of a scam RIC really is. In the past, our media and the medical establishment cover-up this important conflict they have with other countries so it doesn't influence their SALE! Your example would save millions of boys. Weather or not you have children or even boys, if its not of your culture to practice this BARBARIC ritual on newborns, let us know! Its okay to be passionate about it too. This kind of outcry would hopefully shake us up a bit! How would the Americans feel about other Countries policing us?
fruitful womb is offline  
#93 of 107 Old 11-22-2007, 08:28 AM
 
AstridS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 351
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitful womb View Post
I'm glad you brought this up. I haven't been able to collect my thoughts on this properly so I'm just going to lay it out there, sorry if I offend anyone. USA -policing and trying to solve other countries problems... Thats a GREAT point you've made. I wish other countries would police us here in the USA re: RIC. I wish other countries would at least voice their opinion about Americans being so STOOOPID (generally speaking) for allowing such an atrocity to continue! Other countries have already proven they're academically advanced compared to the smartest American. Yup, you read that right, an average non-American (from a developed country) is smarter than the smartest American. (Info from a Concluded Study comparing the children's performance in schools.) Just Google: "Stupid in America"

I would appreciate it if those countries would help us out!!! Most Americans are shocked when they learn that other countries don't do this to their newborns. As the pro-circ's believe, "They should follow the American way and circ their men and newborns!"
  • 1991 Edgar J. Schoen tries and fails to convince European countries to institute mass circumcision.
  • 1997 Edgar J. Schoen tries and fails once again to convince European countries to institute mass circumcision.
  • 1998 Howard Stang, inventor of an infant circumcision restraint fails to mention this conflict of interest in his article promoting infant circumcision.

If other countries outcried loud enough for the American citizens to notice, many of us would see just how much of a scam RIC really is. In the past, our media and the medical establishment cover-up this important conflict they have with other countries so it doesn't influence their SALE! Your example would save millions of boys. Weather or not you have children or even boys, if its not of your culture to practice this BARBARIC ritual on newborns, let us know! Its okay to be passionate about it too. This kind of outcry would hopefully shake us up a bit! How would the Americans feel about other Countries policing us?
yeah, but the trouble is, that the US is hard to police, because the average mainstrem american doesn't care what the rest of the world thinks. I mean, people don't even watch the international news on TV : It's like you (you = average americans, not educated and smart MDC-mammas only care about other parts of the world if it's because you are about to drop a bomb there. So exactly HOW are we as europeans supposed to reach the american mainstream? I would really like to get some ideas about this. Right now I just try to jump in to offer an outside perspective, when I stumble upon a circ-discussion, but other than that... what can we do?
AstridS is offline  
#94 of 107 Old 11-22-2007, 10:21 AM
 
Daisyuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 1,061
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, given that MDC mothers are brighter and more tuned into their children than the average, I think that everyone who posts here, especially if they come from a culture where all genital mutilations are considered barbaric, has a duty to have something like that in their signature, because it may not have occurred to people that they just do not have to do this. Or even to question it.

I'm sure that mothers on here would like the opportunity to know that there is at least a question mark over it, and then they at least know to research. I'm sure that any caring mother who researches will be blown away by what they find and refuse to have anything to do with it.

Apart from anything else, it shows that there are more people who think it is barbaric and cruel - and that's bound to have an effect on a board, where national differences are not so immediately obvious. If every second sig has a nocirc in it, then it should at least cause some pause for thought in those that are considering (or would have just done it without considering anything).
Daisyuk is offline  
#95 of 107 Old 11-23-2007, 09:00 PM
 
MamaVolpe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,326
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My siggy is based on my family and what smileys I like. If I posted all my beliefs my siggy would be way too long.

Livin' surf.gif Laughin' lol.gif Lovin' joy.gif - Just Me and Sammers, my homebirthin' little girl. 

MamaVolpe is offline  
#96 of 107 Old 11-24-2007, 01:09 AM
 
Mamm2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 898
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My siggy is what it is because I don't want other mothers to make the mistake I almost made.

I have had numerous pms from MDC mothers after seeing my siggy who researched and changed their mind about circ.

If I can save one boy from being circ because of my siggy then it was worth the 2minutes it took me to put the siggy together.
Mamm2 is offline  
#97 of 107 Old 11-24-2007, 01:17 AM
 
Mamm2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 898
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitful womb View Post
(emphasis mine)

This is why I think its imperative that every MDC family has 'no-circ' in their siggies.

Peace,
FW




Thank you for saying that and that is why I have the siggy I do.
Mamm2 is offline  
#98 of 107 Old 11-24-2007, 01:27 AM
 
artgoddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Suburban hell
Posts: 13,774
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is this thread for real?

I assume better of people I suppose. But in general I assume that all baby boys are left intact at MDC. I also assume they are breastfed, that their mothers don't let them CIO and that they will not be hit as a form of discipline.
artgoddess is offline  
#99 of 107 Old 11-24-2007, 12:45 PM
 
kblackstone444's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: MA
Posts: 3,832
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by artgoddess View Post
Is this thread for real?

I assume better of people I suppose. But in general I assume that all baby boys are left intact at MDC. I also assume they are breastfed, that their mothers don't let them CIO and that they will not be hit as a form of discipline.
In a perfect world. Not every family has been on MDC since their children were born and not every family knew exactly how harmful circumscision is when their children were born.

I pray for the day Family Court recognizes that CHILDREN have rights, parents only have PRIVILEGES.  Only then, will I know my child is safe.
kblackstone444 is offline  
#100 of 107 Old 11-24-2007, 12:53 PM
 
Papai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,478
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by artgoddess View Post
Is this thread for real?

I assume better of people I suppose. But in general I assume that all baby boys are left intact at MDC. I also assume they are breastfed, that their mothers don't let them CIO and that they will not be hit as a form of discipline.
Definitely not a safe assumption to make. There are people on MDC who think Circ is a-okay, but they're prevented from stating so outright because of the UA. :
Papai is offline  
#101 of 107 Old 11-24-2007, 02:38 PM
 
artgoddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Suburban hell
Posts: 13,774
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyhalfmoon View Post
In a perfect world. Not every family has been on MDC since their children were born and not every family knew exactly how harmful circumscision is when their children were born.
Well yes, I have seen talk from women who feel terribly that they made a mistake in the past. When you know better you do better.
artgoddess is offline  
#102 of 107 Old 11-24-2007, 02:39 PM
 
artgoddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Suburban hell
Posts: 13,774
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papai View Post
Definitely not a safe assumption to make. There are people on MDC who think Circ is a-okay, but they're prevented from stating so outright because of the UA. :
Well that does make me sad, but I am happy they are prevented from promoted circ by the user agreement. There aren't many place for mothers to go where they are safe from that kind of talk on the net.
artgoddess is offline  
#103 of 107 Old 12-02-2007, 04:00 AM
 
chelsmm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 924
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't have anything in my siggy, but I do have an intact son.

I'm going to add it now...

When I first came to MDC, I was a new mom (baby girl, thank goodness because if she had been a boy, he'd have been circ'd). I learned about circ here. And that's why my 4 month old is intact. (well, that and my irl friends...however, I met them mostly here too!)

So, maybe someone will see my siggy and think again. It's not accurate to assume that everyone here is anti circ. I didn't know anything about it until I found out I was having a boy.

-chelsea dust.gif
chelsmm is offline  
#104 of 107 Old 12-02-2007, 04:07 AM
 
lovebug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: back in the GREAT state of Minnesota! oh how i have missed you!
Posts: 5,030
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by race_kelly View Post
I don't have it in my sig, but I have 3 intact boys. So now you don't have to wonder. I usually change my sig around, and put what I am thinking about the most at the moment. I think if that is something that you are very passionate about, that it is something very normal to wonder about. I don't think that the OP was saying that anyone who doesn't have an intact smiley in their sig is bad or pro-circ, she just wonders. I wonder a lot of things about a lot of people on MDC! :
me too! hehe

first few posts on this thread are a bit over kill to say the least!

now to the op:


yeah i wounder when i see alot of different things in siggys.

i always and love to read siggys.

ETA: i totally did not see this thread was 6 pages long!!!!

Your life doesnât change by the man whos elected. If your loved by someone you can't be rejected... decide what to be and go be it! If your a caged bird brake in and demand that somebody free it.
lovebug is offline  
#105 of 107 Old 12-03-2007, 04:53 PM
 
Ivan's Mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Heartbroken over Circumcision
Posts: 1,634
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The thought of circumcision, for all reasons, haunts me. It is so important to protect little children from harm. I do not think the anti-circ siggys are advertising a member's child's genitals. I do believe it is bringing awareness to a human rights issue that is too often laughed about. Literally....people slap their steering wheels, point, and hysterically laugh at my bumpers sticker on my car. All they say are:
Circumcision, The more you know, the more you are against it.
and
10 out of 10 babies oppose circumcision

I know we are not talking about bumper stickers, I am just making a point that this human rights issue is commonly laughed at in our society.

I wonder about people as well OP, when I see people have boys and they do not have a nocirc siggy. It is human nature to wonder about other humans and their practices and beliefs.

Circumcision is too harmful and painful to be ignored and put on the back burner. If you care, show it. The babies are counting on the outspoken.

SAHM to Ivan 6/10/05 who says  signcirc1.gifand Matilda 1/31/08 who says saynovax.gif:::

Ivan's Mom is offline  
#106 of 107 Old 12-04-2007, 03:30 AM
 
joandsarah77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Australia
Posts: 680
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well I do have one in my siggy here, but not in my siggy on any other forum.
joandsarah77 is offline  
#107 of 107 Old 12-04-2007, 12:49 PM
 
Alyantavid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 7,724
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
No. I honestly think most of the people here with sons didn't circ. Its not in my sig and I have 2 intact boys.
Alyantavid is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off