"They circumcised my son on the delivery table" - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 41 Old 11-24-2007, 02:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by glongley View Post
no babies are forgotten and left uncircumcised.
Wow. :

CPST ***I can help keep your child safe in the car. Ask me a car seat question!***
#32 of 41 Old 11-25-2007, 08:18 AM

Quote:
I remember hearing a story from that time period of a boy being born breech & being circumcised even before his head was born.
I read this on a website, I think an article from about 1967 mentioned a doctor who loved doing this in the 50s.

I can't find the website so I can't say if its authentic, though not really any stranger than many things doctors do.
#33 of 41 Old 11-25-2007, 01:42 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by serendipity22 View Post
I think an article from about 1967 mentioned a doctor who loved doing this in the 50s.
Wow. :Puke :

I pray for the day Family Court recognizes that CHILDREN have rights, parents only have PRIVILEGES.  Only then, will I know my child is safe.
#34 of 41 Old 11-25-2007, 02:02 PM

There's an awful case in the obstetrical literature where a baby boy being born frank breech (bum presenting with legs straight up like a jackknife) had his penis accidentally amputated when the dr did an episiotomy on the mother.

Knowing that kind of thing can happen is another reason to stay out of a hosp for birth.
#35 of 41 Old 11-25-2007, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baybee View Post
There's an awful case in the obstetrical literature where a baby boy being born frank breech (bum presenting with legs straight up like a jackknife) had his penis accidentally amputated when the dr did an episiotomy on the mother.
Because the doctor didn't care enogh to look where he was cutting?!?!?!

I pray for the day Family Court recognizes that CHILDREN have rights, parents only have PRIVILEGES.  Only then, will I know my child is safe.
#36 of 41 Old 11-25-2007, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baybee View Post
OMG that is awful :
#37 of 41 Old 11-25-2007, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glongley View Post
From a list of 9 reasons given in support of immediate circumcision:

"Convenience: Prior to this new plan the circumcisions were performed between the third and seventh days and a line-up on Sunday mornings was routine. It meant an extra trip hospital trip, a good deal of uncomfortable delay between cases, and the resulting traffic problem in the birth rooms was prodigious. Under the present regime, the obstetrician finishes his episiotomy, walks across the hall and circumcises the infant, and is finished with the whole business. The time thus saved for both the physician and the nursing staff is considerable."

"Stimulation of the baby: Frequently following a general anesthetic the newborn is depressed and various stimulants are employed; circumcision unfailingly produces an excellent response in a sleepy baby."

"Pain: Although the pain sense is present at birth, it is much less intense than in later infancy."
:Puke :Puke :Puke
Just the idea of someone typing this up makes me want to puke, let alone thinking about it actually being implemented as a policy.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#38 of 41 Old 11-25-2007, 06:03 PM

Quote:
I remember hearing a story from that time period of a boy being born breech & being circumcised even before his head was born.
I eventually googled it after recalling a line in the article about interns fighting over who gets to circumcise.

http://www.xcircum.com/images/Dear.pdf
Its on page 4.

I believe its authentic.
#39 of 41 Old 11-25-2007, 08:45 PM

I just had to sit and read the whole article. I wish I didn't. It blew my mind. I don't know what else to say.

#40 of 41 Old 11-25-2007, 08:53 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Wow. This makes me wonder if my Mom had to do something special to make sure my brothers weren't circ'ed in the hospital (so they could have the Bris at 8 days old.) They were born in 1969 and 1971.

Between BF and not circ'ing for the first week, she must have been considered a real hippie in those days!

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#41 of 41 Old 11-25-2007, 08:56 PM

omg. that is just heartbreaking. i wonder if this is the way it happend for dh.

:

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page