If you are staunchly anti-circ would you surgically remove an extra digit? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 81 Old 12-16-2007, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Say your child is born with 6 fingers on each hand instead of 5, would you opt to have the sixth finger removed or would you leave it?

I have the stub for a sixth finger on each hand. My mother had it removed as a baby and I'm glad she did. I think if my child is born with an extra digit, I'll have it removed too. But I'm having trouble with that decision based on my belief that circumcision is wrong. I mean, the two are different but I'd be removing the extra finger for cosmetic purposes really . . . so . . . opinions??

Oh, and the extra finger I had sticks out of the pinky and is usually removed by just tying a string or a suture around it until it falls off. But there are other examples of extra digits.

Stay-at-home mom to 2 beautiful.busy.boisterous boys b. 08.17.05 & 12.29.08
Nirvana is . . . the living happiness of a soul which is conscious of itself and conscious of having found its own abode in the heart of the Eternal. --Gandhi
#2 of 81 Old 12-16-2007, 12:19 PM

I am against the removal of healthy, normal tissue without the consent of the person whose body it is.

I would also think an extra finger would hamper fine motor development, though that's just a guess. (not educated in the area)

ETA: I would probably have to see what kind of extra finger it was (bone, no bone? etc) and go from there. Sometimes even I guess it's hard for them to tell which to remove and you have to be monitored for a while. By that time I might be able to get consent from the child. But if there was no bone or movement or anything then the decision would be easier.

"Parents are simply trustees; they do not own the bodies of their children"-Norm Cohen  Martial arts instructor intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif and mom to 4: DD1 (1/05) DS (7/06) DD2 (5/08) DD3 (2/11)
#3 of 81 Old 12-16-2007, 12:50 PM

Apples and oranges. A 6th (or 7th or 8th) digit is a birth defect in human beings. A foreskin is a normal, useful body part.

(That said, I would not necessarily and automatically have a birth defect surgically corrected in an infant -- it depends on the defect, its placement, type of surgery required, risks vs. benefits of doing so, how the defect impacts (or does not impact) functioning and development, etc.)
#4 of 81 Old 12-16-2007, 12:56 PM

Not if it wasn't necessary. If the child wanted it done when they're older, that's their perrogative. I wouldn't be opposed to allowing a teen to make that choice, either.

Though, if I remember being a kid; I think most kids would find a sixth finger cool.

WARNING: The comments and opinions expressed above do not necessarily reflect those of the community in which I reside; or those of the internet parenting network.
#5 of 81 Old 12-16-2007, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ione View Post
Apples and oranges. A 6th (or 7th or 8th) digit is a birth defect in human beings. A foreskin is a normal, useful body part.

(That said, I would not necessarily and automatically have a birth defect surgically corrected in an infant -- it depends on the defect, its placement, type of surgery required, risks vs. benefits of doing so, how the defect impacts (or does not impact) functioning and development, etc.)
:

mom to 3 home-born children, wife to a great guy joy.gif

#6 of 81 Old 12-16-2007, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
LoL . . .so true . . . I was having a hard time putting this all together in my head and feeling kind of guilty for knowing that I will remove it if my baby's born with it. Thanks.

Stay-at-home mom to 2 beautiful.busy.boisterous boys b. 08.17.05 & 12.29.08
Nirvana is . . . the living happiness of a soul which is conscious of itself and conscious of having found its own abode in the heart of the Eternal. --Gandhi
#7 of 81 Old 12-16-2007, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootzdawta View Post
I mean, the two are different but I'd be removing the extra finger for cosmetic purposes really . . . so . . . opinions??
A sixth finger (on one hand) is a birth defect. A foreskin is not.

#8 of 81 Old 12-16-2007, 01:18 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

I couldn't have said it better myself.

I pray for the day Family Court recognizes that CHILDREN have rights, parents only have PRIVILEGES.  Only then, will I know my child is safe.
#9 of 81 Old 12-16-2007, 01:37 PM
Banned

The goal of removing abnormal body parts is to restore the body to normal and allow it to function better. A circumcision removes something normal and healthy and can negatively affect its function. Having said that, I would also weigh the pros and cons of any surgery performed on a baby.

From a medical standpoint, I think removing extra fingers/toes is ideally done in the infant stage because they can interfere with the development of fine motor skills and there is less scarring.
#10 of 81 Old 12-16-2007, 02:17 PM

Quote:

:

And also: I wouldn't have a birth defect corrected in an infant, if it wasn't medically necessary. Proper pain management is much easier and surgery is usually less risky in an older child or adult than in a newborn.
#11 of 81 Old 12-16-2007, 02:49 PM

Quote:

:

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
#12 of 81 Old 12-16-2007, 02:54 PM

Both of my sons are intact. Ds2 was born with a sixth digit on one hand. We did have it removed. It was very small, and the surgeon simply tied suture around it. It fell off a few days later. Ds1 was born with webbed toes on one foot. We did not clip those, and feel stronly that it is his choice if he wants to have it done someday.

Carrie, mom to Johnathan (7-02), Brodie (2-04), Kate (12-06), Jordan (9-08), (4-09) & Maggie (3-10)
#13 of 81 Old 12-16-2007, 03:06 PM

If it didn't effect their ability to use their hands/legs I would leave it till they were old enough to choose for themselves.

Lu - A ten year plan is forming, here's hoping everything lines up
#14 of 81 Old 12-16-2007, 03:36 PM

I saw a program on TV where a baby was born with 6th digits on each hand, they were like pinky toes sticking out the sides of her hand. The doctor said there was no bone/muscle in them that she would ever be able to control (ie use it as a normal finger), and that the extra digits could get caught on things or interfere with motor development.

I dont think that circ'ing and removing extra digits are the same at all, because like the PPs said, the foreskin isn't a birth defect.
#15 of 81 Old 12-16-2007, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patronia View Post
If it didn't effect their ability to use their hands/legs I would leave it till they were old enough to choose for themselves.
I agree.
#16 of 81 Old 12-16-2007, 04:03 PM

it would depend on where it was located and if its a working one or not, and what it would take to remove i or impact the child
#17 of 81 Old 12-16-2007, 04:35 PM

Honestly I don't know what I would do but a foreskin isn't anything extra, it's not a birth defect. I don't think it's a good comaprison.

OUR DAUGHTERS ARE PROTECTED SHOULDN'T OUR SONS BE TOO! :
#18 of 81 Old 12-16-2007, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu Razzberri View Post

Though, if I remember being a kid; I think most kids would find a sixth finger cool.
:
Mee Too!!!

Personally, I wouldn't have removed it. Not long ago a baby was born will extra limbs. Born with 4 arms and 4 legs. The parents had them removed. If that were me I would have thought wow what a blessing! We're always joking about wishing we had extra hands for help.

The foreskin isn't just an extra digit. Its an important functional part of the human body. Its normal and to remove a sophisticated organ for someone else's sexual fetish is (wow, I can think of all kinds of things to say and they're annoyingly competing to be used so I'll just let you fill in the blank, ________ )
#19 of 81 Old 12-16-2007, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Yeah that.

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
#20 of 81 Old 12-16-2007, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onelilguysmommy View Post
it would depend on where it was located and if its a working one or not, and what it would take to remove i or impact the child
This is how I feel too. I think most of the time I would hoose to remove b/c in humans the extra digit is usually a no functional encumberance. In cats the sixth toe is usually fully developed and harmless, so if my childs extra digit was more like what is common in cats I would leave it.

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos
#21 of 81 Old 12-16-2007, 08:08 PM
A&A

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:

:

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#22 of 81 Old 12-16-2007, 08:42 PM

I would not. I don't think the issue of "defect" vs. "non-defect" is relevant here, because I believe the notion of "normal" and "defective" is mostly socially constructed and subjective.

I would not put a minor child through surgery or any kind of body modification unless it were necessary to preserve his or her health.
#23 of 81 Old 12-16-2007, 09:08 PM

I would correct a defect such as removing an extra finger. I would do it to make sure fine motor control etc were not hampered also to avoid the child being ridiculed etc. Kids are mean, yes they find somethig else to tease the child about but why give them foder. My boys are intact. But I did something to my girls that is purely cosmestic, I had their ears peirced at 3 month of age, my youngest just had it done the day before yesterday.

Brandy Single momma to A(11), C(10), H(6) and I(2)
:
#24 of 81 Old 12-17-2007, 12:13 AM
tlh

probably not.Hound Dog Taylor a blues guitar player used his extra finger.

http://www.robertchristgau.com/get_a...e+Houserockers
#25 of 81 Old 12-17-2007, 12:22 AM

If the digit presented a problem ie possibly getting torn loose I would have it removed. If it was not causing problems then I would leave it alone and let my child decide when they were older.

I dont see the comparison between circ and removing a extra digit or fixing a birth defect tho since the foreskin is ment to be there the others are not.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#26 of 81 Old 12-17-2007, 03:10 PM

Foreskin isn't a genetic defect.

I would probably not remove an extra digit, unless it was likely to cause problems or did not work so was just in the way.

If the digit was functional, it would definately stay. Think of the amazing piano music they could create if they were musically inclined! The guitar riffs that no one else could replicate! Yep, it would definately stay.

Further, my son does have a "defect" in that he was born with a minor hypospadia and we have chosen to not have that "fixed" either. It does not cause any problems, and it is minor enough that it won't impact his fertility.

I do not believe in forcing unnecessary body altering surgery for trivial reasons. It isn't my body.
#27 of 81 Old 12-17-2007, 04:03 PM

#28 of 81 Old 12-17-2007, 04:21 PM

In order for these two to be equal, you have to view the foreskin as a birth defect.

I don't know what I would do in this situation, perhaps wait until the child is old enough to have a say in whether they want it removed or not? But it's a defect and the foreskin isn't so....
#29 of 81 Old 12-17-2007, 04:28 PM

I don't know. I would probably research and figure that out if I was faced with it and I would wait a little while to contemplate a decision like that.
#30 of 81 Old 12-17-2007, 05:27 PM

If it would not interefere with fine motor development, I would leave it until the child was old enough to choose.

The mystery of life isn't a problem to solve, but a reality to experience.
| @jovialady is Kiya ~ TTC 3 years & counting for a ~ Connsumte BookDragon|

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page