6 yo retractible has an adhesion. What can we expect? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 12-17-2007, 11:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I took my 6 yo to the ped today (we actually saw the nurse practitioner) as I kind of suspected a UTI - pain after peeing, and asking to go to the bathroom a lot. Though to be honest, I actually thought the asking to go potty a lot was just because he was bored at the mall, or target, or wherever we were, but I still just wanted to rule it out, yk?)

So anyway - urine is clean - no UTI. But, the nurse practitioner did notice an adhesion on the underside of his penis - perhaps at about 7 or 8:00 position. She referred us to a urologist. When I asked her what the urologist would do, she admitted she didn't fully know, but mentioned that there was a "procedure" that could be done, but didn't know anything beyond that.

DS has been fully retractible for about 18 months or so. I've NEVER noticed an adhesion before, but I surely did see the one the nurse pract. pointed out to me today! He has never been forcibly retracted. The only thing DH and I can think of that caused the adhesion is that he does play "Stretch Armstrong" with this penis a lot, and plays "penis air guitar" before bath, and in all other ways purely enjoys the wonderful little toy that comes attached to his body! (I've even witness him twisting it! Yeowch!)

1.) Are those things likely to cause an adhesion?

2.) Is there some sort of family prone-ness to adhesions? 2 yo DD has a slight labial adhesion, which I'm 100% confident (and have also been assured by her ped) that will clear up when she hits puberty. Can/will a penile adhesion clear up during puberty as well?

3.) What can we expect at the urologist? I asked the nurse pract. if the urologist was going to recommend circ, and she adamantly said no way.
#2 of 4 Old 12-17-2007, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahogny View Post
DS has been fully retractible for about 18 months or so. I've NEVER noticed an adhesion before, but I surely did see the one the nurse pract. pointed out to me today! He has never been forcibly retracted.
I'm going to have to say he's probably not "fully" retractable yet. If the adhesion itself is not infected and causing problems, it could still come apart on it's own. And I would leave it alone. And if the NP retracted it, he has been "forcibly retracted." The procedure is going to involve cutting and stitching of the adhesion, which may normally detatch by puberty. If they cut it, there will be a good chance of nicking the glans.

---feeling like an emu on acid---
#3 of 4 Old 12-17-2007, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahogny View Post
"penis air guitar"
#4 of 4 Old 12-18-2007, 12:14 AM

Quote:
And if the NP retracted it, he has been "forcibly retracted."
If your ds moved the skin back for her that is fine but if she did it then she shouldnt have.

K what you are describing is totally normal. The foreskin does not release all at once it does so over time. Nothing needs to be done for the synachea (really isnt a adhesion at this point) Go to this thread http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=764732 and read through it. I would not take him to the urologist over this since all they can do is cut the attachment loose. that will make a spot with scar tissue and scar tissue = less feeling in that area.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page