Why does insurance cover circ in the US? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 45 Old 02-15-2008, 03:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaVolpe View Post
The company itself may not offer circ to all policys but some states mandate the coverage.
The only state that mandates coverage for routine circumcision is New Mexico. That law was only recently passed. I think it was 2002 or 2003. This came at a time when other states were passing laws defunding Medicaid circumcision so this was an unusual action.

#32 of 45 Old 02-15-2008, 06:03 AM

Fun fact our mine insurance (it's state employee insurance, DH is a teacher). I called to find out what was & what wasn't covered. My stuff, minus any pain meds for labor, was covered at 100%. DS was only covered at 80% after he filled the $100 deductable. I thought that was weird since I was covered at 100%, I just assumed DS would be because it read in the policy book like it would be. When I mentioned that I thought that was odd, the lady on the phone blurted out, "But the good news is that we cover 100% of circ, done in the hospital or at the peds office later!"

My response?

"Um, no, that's the worse news considering I have no interest is cutting parts of my baby off any at point without just reason. But I tell you what, how about you apply that $600 fee you'd pay for a surgery that isn't medically needed for my newborn to the actual NEEDED cost of his hospital stay? I think THAT would be the good news."

She changed the subject quickly.

So they won't pay the $350 for DS's actually needed charges, but they WOULD HAVE paid an extra $600 for surgery. Makes perfect sense, doesn't it?
#33 of 45 Old 02-15-2008, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by layla983 View Post
"Um, no, that's the worse news considering I have no interest is cutting parts of my baby off any at point without just reason. But I tell you what, how about you apply that $600 fee you'd pay for a surgery that isn't medically needed for my newborn to the actual NEEDED cost of his hospital stay? I think THAT would be the good news."
Great response! It sure makes no sense what is and isn't covered.
#34 of 45 Old 02-15-2008, 11:57 AM

When we renewed I wasn't given the option and was too wimpy to ask. Wish I hadn't been.
#35 of 45 Old 02-15-2008, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphiniumpansy View Post
I normally don't post here because I have girls but I do recall from when I was preg the first time that our insurance does not pay for circumcision. Blue Cross of WA does not consider it medically necessary.
Premera in WA also doesn't cover it - I know because my ex-co-worker had a boy Medicaid doesn't cover it in WA either I should have asked KPS when I called them about how they cover homebirth, but I didn't think to.

mama to two girls and due in November!
: Circumcision can never be undone :
#36 of 45 Old 02-16-2008, 02:52 PM

Found out today that TennCare covers it, only if it is done within 30 days
It's actually in the manual-thingy that you choose doctors/care providers from. :

---feeling like an emu on acid---
#37 of 45 Old 02-17-2008, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eben'sMama View Post
In California, most private ins companies don't cover it (BC/BS, Pacificare, etc.), I believe. I also know for a fact that Medi-Cal (state health coverage) does NOT pay for circ, as it is considered medically unnecessary.
We had Pacificare when my sons were born and they covered it at the time (10-15 years ago). Perhaps things have changed. DH has a new job and we are now under Blue Cross. Circumcision is specifically listed as covered under 'infant care', etc. I was very disappointed.
#38 of 45 Old 02-17-2008, 10:05 AM

it's elective cosmetic surgery and it should not be covered. Insurance companies would save!
#39 of 45 Old 02-17-2008, 10:16 AM

Interesting stuff (well, odd choice of words).

Canada's circ rate is significantly lower than the US - and I would suggest no insurance coverage as the primary reason, which I guess is a good thing. [FWIW, I think Canadians have a different perspective on the 'look' of anything, in general - so a bit different than americans.]

I wonder what would happen if the US rules were changed (i.e. no coverage, no legal requirement etc.) I wonder how long it would take for US circ rates to decline to Cdn levels.

I have super-duper insurance through my employer that covers the periphery items (i.e. 100 drug coverage, massage, PT, private room, blah blah blah). I wouldn't at all be surprised that circ is covered by my employer.

I didn't know circ wasn't covered by OHIP (again, universal health care coverage) with #1 son - it wouldn't have made a difference. My husband made the decision not to circ his boys long before he was born - and I never went a step further to determine any costs.
#40 of 45 Old 02-17-2008, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnD View Post
Canada's circ rate is significantly lower than the US - and I would suggest no insurance coverage as the primary reason
That is a small contributing factor. At one time, the Canadian circumcision rate was about where it is now in The US but by the early part of this century, it had fallen to about 17% nationwide and most of that 17% was concentrated in the western provinces. An event in 2002 made a major contribution to the current rate that is about 6%. Prior to this time, Dr. Dennis Kendall had been issuing warning memos to the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Saskatchewan that they were at financial risk in performing circumcisions and those memos spread among the other provinces. However, before August 2002, they were not given much attention. That all changed in August 2002 when Ryleigh McWillis was circumcised in Vancouver and died a couple of days later. Dr. Kendall's warnings became very real. Instead of parents rejecting circumcision, the doctors in Canada started refusing to perform circumcisions at all. Soon after that, the governments of the various provinces in Canada stopped paying for circumcisions.

It was this combination of factors, the very public death, the doctors refusal, the education of parents and the end of coverage for the procedure that mostly brought it to an end.

Likewise, it will be a combination of factors that will bring circumcision to an end in The US. At some point, there will probably be an action that acts as a catalyst like Ryleigh McWillis' death or a court case that will consolidate the work on other fronts to bring it to an end.

Likewise

, which I guess is a good thing. [FWIW, I think Canadians have a different perspective on the 'look' of anything, in general - so a bit different than americans.]

I wonder what would happen if the US rules were changed (i.e. no coverage, no legal requirement etc.) I wonder how long it would take for US circ rates to decline to Cdn levels.

I have super-duper insurance through my employer that covers the periphery items (i.e. 100 drug coverage, massage, PT, private room, blah blah blah). I wouldn't at all be surprised that circ is covered by my employer.

I didn't know circ wasn't covered by OHIP (again, universal health care coverage) with #1 son - it wouldn't have made a difference. My husband made the decision not to circ his boys long before he was born - and I never went a step further to determine any costs.[/QUOTE]
#41 of 45 Old 02-17-2008, 01:49 PM

I actually think it is a huge reason because we are so used to not paying for things that when we do have to pay for something, we really think about it.

I know many, many people who were on the fence or decided on circumcision, but didn't because ohip didn't cover it. Some because they didn't want to spend the money and some who figured that it wasn't necessary if it wasn't covered.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#42 of 45 Old 02-17-2008, 07:44 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by trmpetplaya View Post
Premera in WA also doesn't cover it - I know because my ex-co-worker had a boy Medicaid doesn't cover it in WA either I should have asked KPS when I called them about how they cover homebirth, but I didn't think to.
I have premera in WA and it is covered, 100%. So it depends on the employer I think. But they did fully cover my homebirth.

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#43 of 45 Old 02-17-2008, 09:11 PM

United Healthcare (the gray card, not the blue) in GA covers it 100%. They do not fully cover prenatal care, labor, delivery, or anything else. They do cover vaxes 100%

Sunny coolshine.gif: gun toting, retired breastfeeding, car seat loving, guitar playing, home birthing and schooling mama to Jakob (10.06), Mikah (07.08) and Korah (07.11). uc.jpg 

#44 of 45 Old 02-17-2008, 10:28 PM

I live in CA and have Health Net through my husband's employer. I just got our new coverage booklet for the year and saw that Circ is 100% covered as an out patient procedure. I'm guessing that my DH's employer chooses to have it covered.
#45 of 45 Old 02-17-2008, 11:41 PM

our insurance didn't cover circ. We weren't going to circ anyway (and, did not) it would have cost us around $300 to circ our son.

Catherine and B stillheart.gif DS1 (6) biggrinbounce.gif DD (4) loveeyes.gif DS2 (1) drool.gif and expecting #4 shamrocksmile.gif on March 17, 2014.  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page