Help with newborn blood in diaper? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 04-10-2008, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all...

It has been a long time since I've needed your collective help... but..

My best friend (now 5 hours away) just gave birth...
Of course, being my best friend, she has left her son intact and knows the dangers of forcible premature retraction..

so.. she's telling me a few minutes ago that when she changed her sons diaper in the hospital, that there was some pink, which she took as blood mixed with urine, in his diaper. She said she flipped out and told the nurses that no one had better have retracted her son. They got the ped, who explained to her that since she is breastfeeding, that he passed little crystals through his urine and its common with breastfed babies.
Now I remember my son having some blood in his diaper, but looking back, I think it was just some separation..and he was a bit older, not a newborn.
I've never heard of microscopic crystals coming out of a newborn babies penis causing discolored urine..

does this sound right to any of you?

I'm off to research the net for her..

Thanks in advance for your help!
#2 of 16 Old 04-10-2008, 12:01 PM

Yes, they call it 'brick dust' sometimes, so Google that as well.

Yay for your friend and her son!

~*Kristi*~
Tallulah Dare 8-01,  Marcos Gael 12-04, Cormac Mateo 9-09, Leonidas Ronan 11-11

#3 of 16 Old 04-10-2008, 12:02 PM

My son had that as well. He never left me and was not retracted. He wasn't getting enough milk. Tell your friend to have babies latch checked.
#4 of 16 Old 04-10-2008, 12:08 PM

http://pediatrics.about.com/od/weekl...r_crystals.htm Had to find you a link. Since she *just* gave birth, her milk is probably not in in the crazy amounts it will be shortly... when he's nursing well, it should go away. If she sees it happening repeatedly after her milk is fully in, though, he could be dehydrated and she should check with an LC.

~*Kristi*~
Tallulah Dare 8-01,  Marcos Gael 12-04, Cormac Mateo 9-09, Leonidas Ronan 11-11

#5 of 16 Old 04-10-2008, 12:37 PM

This happened to a friend of mine, as well. Her ped. called it "salmon crystals" and it's from slight dehydration. It's uric acid she's seeing.

Molly, mama to my 3 sweet boys.
: : hale:
#6 of 16 Old 04-10-2008, 12:48 PM

totally normal, and not a cause for concern in the first days - once her milk comes in he will be hydrated and it'll go away. I remember looking it up here as well when DS was born b/c I'd never heard of it and it was freaky to see.

WAHMama to Allen (2-10-05) and Alexa (6-27-08)
#7 of 16 Old 04-10-2008, 01:23 PM

I can just picture it, one day, when I am a little older, one of my older friends is going to have a newborn and she invited everyone over. She is going to be facing some little problem, and I will be like "o, thats just "salmon crystals" its common with breast fed newborns, and my friend will look back at me with a questioning look on her face and say "how do you know that?"

I guess this is what I get for hanging out on a mothering website. I fail as a teenage male
#8 of 16 Old 04-10-2008, 01:26 PM

My son had that when he was about 5 days old, and I freaked out, having no idea what it was! It was kind of salmon colored and in the very front of his diaper. I had told everyone not to retract him, and was worried maybe somebody had. The doctor told me it was uric acid crystals, nothing to be overly concerned with.
#9 of 16 Old 04-10-2008, 02:49 PM

My ds had the same thing. It freaked me out...but I asked a nurse and she said it was normal.

caffix.gif

#10 of 16 Old 04-10-2008, 05:11 PM

Yep ds had that at about 2-3 days old. I called the ped and he asked if he was circed I said no he said well if it keeps up you need to bring him in. I had a appt. later that day with the mw's nurse for followup on me and ds and he had one while there and right away she told me what it was "brick dust" and how with bfed babies they have it because the milk isnt fully in and mine wasnt.

I can only imagine the crap the ped. would have spewed had I taken him in. Probably some BS about irritated foreskin needs to come off. :

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#11 of 16 Old 04-10-2008, 05:49 PM

DD had 'brick dust' and engorged breasts at birth...it's just left over hormones.

Victim of Birth Rape & Coerced ribboncesarean.gifUnnecesareanribboncesarean.gif What makes people think they can cut up someone else's genitals? nocirc.gif
#12 of 16 Old 04-11-2008, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perspective View Post
I can just picture it, one day, when I am a little older, one of my older friends is going to have a newborn and she invited everyone over. She is going to be facing some little problem, and I will be like "o, thats just "salmon crystals" its common with breast fed newborns, and my friend will look back at me with a questioning look on her face and say "how do you know that?"

I guess this is what I get for hanging out on a mothering website. I fail as a teenage male

I get that "How'd you know that?" thing. I know a good bit about one very specific area and people translate that to knowing everything about medical issues and want me to diagnose problems far remote from the genitals, advise on treatment and second guess the doctors. "Nope, I don't do that! I'll give you the best information I can on genital issues of boys but you're going to have to get the diagnosis and treatment from a licenced physician."

You are certainly not a failure as a teenaged male! You are a prize as a potential future father. Do you realize that most other men your age or any age just have no clue?

Frank
#13 of 16 Old 04-13-2008, 01:25 AM

When my oldest son was born he had what appeared to be blood, but the doctor called it "brick staining". He was dehydrated because my milk never came in until day 5 and I refused the formula, so the urine was so concentrated it looked like blood.
#14 of 16 Old 04-13-2008, 11:34 AM

I know I'm late in this response, but my youngest had "brick dust"- was dark orange color- in his diaper as a newborn. I was told it would go away on its own. I thought it was blood, too, at first. (From what I don't know- he's intact.)
#15 of 16 Old 04-15-2008, 09:53 PM - Thread Starter

thanks everyone...

after reading your responses and researching, I reassured my girlfriend that it was urate crystals; a high concentration of uric acid... he is nursing more now and there doesn't seem to be any other issues...

BTW, perspective.... I defintely agree with frank.. you are going to be an awesome resource for your friends that are/become parents, and will be a really knowledgable father!
#16 of 16 Old 04-16-2008, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreskin friendly View Post
BTW, perspective.... I defintely agree with frank.. you are going to be an awesome resource for your friends that are/become parents, and will be a really knowledgable father!

Yes, and he has a distinct advantage I do not have. All of his friends are either in their child bearing years or will be soon. I have few IRL friends in that category and thus fewer opportunities.

Frank

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page