Here's my chance! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 09-22-2003, 12:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I got this email from someone in my playgroup today. She is fairly mainstream, but never CIO and BF for 18-20 months. She's really nice...

Quote:
I guess I’m getting used to the thought of having a boy, but I don’t think it will really hit me until later when I’m actually having to deal with the boy parts!!
Here's my chance for a non-circ pitch....can you help!?
I want to be polite and succinct...maybe in a sentence include a few of the basic reasons not to...and maybe suggest one or 2 websites...not too much. I don't want to be too pushy.

Oh, BTW, I let her borrow my Sears' Birth Book (she had a C-section the first time and I suggested she consider a VBAC...her section was beacuse dr 'would rather section than use forceps')...and sneakily put inside a copy of the Fleiss article. I scribbled on it and made it look used...this was before she found out what she was having...

Ilaria mamma to Owen, Caroline & Patrick .... loving life as expats in Asia intactlact.gifnovaxnocirc.gifuc.jpgnamaste.gif
#2 of 13 Old 09-22-2003, 02:03 AM

How about the pamphlet from www.nocirc.org - I'd link it for you but their frames setup only gives the main page - about caring for your intact boy? Maybe send her a couple of the pamphlets...

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#3 of 13 Old 09-22-2003, 02:14 AM
Banned

#4 of 13 Old 09-22-2003, 04:56 AM

RE: "when I’m actually having to deal with the boy parts!!"

"You mean having to deal with gauze, vaseline, weeping, pain and the possiility of infections or doing nothing?"

That may be an eye-opening question for her.

Frank
#5 of 13 Old 09-22-2003, 08:34 AM

I like to assume the best!

"Yeah--the hardest part of the whole 'boy parts' thing is dealing with the madmen who don't like 'boy parts' left whole, natural and intact. They just don't realize that nobody does that anymore!"

Of course, that's me.
When asked by the ILs and other detractors, "Are you still breastfeeding?" my answer is "Of course!" in a tone
#6 of 13 Old 09-22-2003, 10:41 AM

Ooops! Typing with a toddler will do that!

Anyhow, respond assuming that she will leave him whole and intact.
If it seems that they are considering otherwise, use your best therapist's voice and ask, "Why would you do that?" (Not too outraged, but genuinely curious.) Follow up with, "Why do you think that?" etc. Then you'll know if you're dealing with someone rational or not. I'm assuming that this is a married woman, so I don't see what the issue is with 'boys parts', but maybe it's just her sense of humor!

As I started to say earlier before my post was prematurely posted. . .

I carefully choose my response.
"Still breastfeeding?" "Of course!" (tone implies that to do otherwise would be negligent and shocking.)

"Not circumcised?" "Of course not! Nobody does THAT anymore!" (tone implies that this practice is as bizarre as foot-binding or giving babies laudanum--nevermind that benadryl is the sedative of choice now, but that's another rant entirely.) "He's whole and complete, just as nature intended." (very affectiontely said, with love and pride for every little bit of him.)

My daughter has a small cafe au lait mark on her cheek, and you'd be surprised at how rude people can be about it--right in front of her! My mantra is, "That's where I kissed her before she was born--isn't it perfect!" in that same loving voice. She feels sorry that her brother only has a little strawberry mark under his hairline and no nice cafe au lait marks like her!

Ok, now I'm rambling. Gotta go.
#7 of 13 Old 09-22-2003, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I combined all of your suggestions and just sent it off...whew...I'm nervous now! (I was literally sweating as I typed!)

Ilaria mamma to Owen, Caroline & Patrick .... loving life as expats in Asia intactlact.gifnovaxnocirc.gifuc.jpgnamaste.gif
#8 of 13 Old 09-22-2003, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter

Well, she wrote back...all she said was:

Quote:
Thanks for the information
Then proceeded to talk about other stuff from our previous emails.

#9 of 13 Old 09-22-2003, 10:21 PM

The seed is planted. Give it time to germinate. You must realize this information is totally bass ackwards from everything she has heard before.

Frank
#10 of 13 Old 09-23-2003, 05:50 PM

I Agree Totally with Frank's comment - and, at least she didn't tell you to go jump off a bridge or something to that effect! This is a completely new concept that will take some time to show fruition. She has already taken the first step in thinking about it. Good for you for caring to send her information. So many "friends" don't say a word when they really could offer a word of advice.

#11 of 13 Old 09-23-2003, 07:41 PM

Well, I'm too late to make a suggestion, but maybe someone else is in a similar situation. Here's what I would have said:

"Don't worry about dealing with boy parts -- there's nothing to it. Unless someone removes his foreskin -- then you have to deal with all kinds of problems!"

-Alice, SAHM to dd (2001) and ds (2004) each of whom was a homebirth.jpg, who each self-weaned at 4.5 years bfolderchild.gif, who both fambedsingle2.gif'd, who were bothcd.gif, and both: novaxnocirc.gif.   Also, gd.gif, and goorganic.jpg!

#12 of 13 Old 09-24-2003, 03:45 AM

How True Alice!
#13 of 13 Old 09-24-2003, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter

That's so true...one time I was changing Owen's diaper and an ex-friend said: Oh, I have never seen an uncirc. penis!
She had just had a boy too! ANd I just said "That's how X (her baby) was born too!".

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page