Pus coming out of my son's foreskin? Is this smegma? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 04-15-2008, 10:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yesterday my four year old son started complaining that his penis was hurting. I just assumed that his foreskin was irritated for some reason and was planning on putting him the bath. This afternoon I noticed some yellowish white pus coming out of his foreskin. I am thinking that this is smegma but I wasn't aware that pain would be present. Anybody have thoughts? He has been saying lately that it isn't hurting as much. He has also been peeing without difficulty.

Cynthia--Among other things, I am a wife and mother to two boys.
#2 of 11 Old 04-15-2008, 10:09 PM

I don't think it's smegma. Smegma isn't like pus, it's... cottage cheese like, not pus-like. And smegma shouldn't cause him any pain, I don't think at least. I've never dealt with this, so hopefully someone else can help out. Sorry.
#3 of 11 Old 04-15-2008, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
Yesterday my four year old son started complaining that his penis was hurting. I just assumed that his foreskin was irritated for some reason and was planning on putting him the bath. This afternoon I noticed some yellowish white pus coming out of his foreskin. I am thinking that this is smegma but I wasn't aware that pain would be present. Anybody have thoughts? He has been saying lately that it isn't hurting as much. He has also been peeing without difficulty.
Yes it is smegma. Some boys go through this it is the foreskin separating from the glands and for some irritation may occur, it should go away in 24-48 hours. Check out this
link for more info. I'll give you a better response if necessary in a bit.

ETA: Ok so most of this is covered in the link but some combination of soreness, swelling and red tip can occur during the time the foreskin separates (often between 2 and 5) but it could occur earlier or later too. BTW it doesn't happen to all boys so if you had more than one intact son the separation might have occurred unnoticed in one but not the other. In any event a warm bath seems to help so you're on the right path.
#4 of 11 Old 04-15-2008, 10:12 PM

My son had yellow/green pus stuff coming out at 2 yrs old. He said it hurt and cried when he peed.

Dr said it was slightly irritated proably from him playing, and to just give him baking soda sitz baths. I did and it went away immediately.
#5 of 11 Old 04-15-2008, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffer23 View Post
I don't think it's smegma. Smegma isn't like pus, it's... cottage cheese like, not pus-like. And smegma shouldn't cause him any pain, I don't think at least. I've never dealt with this, so hopefully someone else can help out. Sorry.
Actually smegma can look like puss. The color seems to vary and viscosity can be anything from fluid to cottage cheese to pearl like object. The thing that I think separates puss from smegma would be that pus will defiantly smell nauseating.
#6 of 11 Old 04-15-2008, 10:24 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you ladies so much. This is very helpful. I will give an update tomorrow. I really am thinking (and hoping) that it is just smegma.

Cynthia--Among other things, I am a wife and mother to two boys.
#7 of 11 Old 04-15-2008, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhispers View Post
Actually smegma can look like puss. The color seems to vary and viscosity can be anything from fluid to cottage cheese to pearl like object. The thing that I think separates puss from smegma would be that pus will defiantly smell nauseating.
Good to know! (mean that, I had no idea)
#8 of 11 Old 04-15-2008, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffer23 View Post
Good to know! (mean that, I had no idea)
It's no problem many Drs don't know either and would diagnose the swollen soreness the OP described as an infection (with or without smegma) Fortunately, another contributor wrote a fairly comprehensive post about this issue, I linked it in my first post. The interesting thing is that since the separation process doesn't always occur in one go, a few months later the boy may have a little irritation again (or not it's hard to say) and then if he sees the doctor that saw him earlier then wham the 'multiple infection' thing.

Basically if you suspect infection the puss would smell awful and he would start running a fever. Anyway thats what we're here for to share info.
#9 of 11 Old 04-16-2008, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
Thank you ladies so much. This is very helpful. I will give an update tomorrow. I really am thinking (and hoping) that it is just smegma.

What you are seeing is almost certainly smegma. An infection follows a path of progression of the symptoms. The first symptom will be redness and irritation with swelling following later and the production of pus after that. This progression typically takes several days from the initiation of symptoms. If you did not observe the initial symptoms, what you are seeing is almost certainly smegma.

Smegma is very similar to pus in appearance being white and often tinged with yellow or green. It can be a viscious liquid, pasty or a firm lump. Because of the similar properties, it would be difficult to discern what is pus and what is smegma when mixed.

Frank
#10 of 11 Old 04-16-2008, 01:06 AM

Read this thread if you havnt already http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=764732 there is information about causes of irritation and what to do or not do about them. Along with information on smegma.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#11 of 11 Old 04-16-2008, 01:10 PM

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page