Blood in urine? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 05-08-2008, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My ds is only 3 days old and the last 2 diaper changes there have been a drop of blood in the diaper. Could he have a UTI already? Is there something else that could be causing this? This is my 1st experience with no-circing, and I want to be prepared to what the dr. might say at our appointment tomorrow morning. He is nursing well, plenty of wet and soiled diapers and we use cloth washed in Country Save detergent, no other signs of rash on his bottom.

Mom of 3 sons and one daughter
#2 of 7 Old 05-08-2008, 11:49 AM

It's probably not blood -- they call it "brick dust."

http://life.familyeducation.com/nurs...46.html?page=4
#3 of 7 Old 05-08-2008, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaffNowCryLater View Post
My ds is only 3 days old and the last 2 diaper changes there have been a drop of blood in the diaper. Could he have a UTI already? Is there something else that could be causing this? This is my 1st experience with no-circing, and I want to be prepared to what the dr. might say at our appointment tomorrow morning. He is nursing well, plenty of wet and soiled diapers and we use cloth washed in Country Save detergent, no other signs of rash on his bottom.

This is most likely what they call 'brick dust'

Quote:
Bloody Urine
Actually, blood in the urine is always abnormal. However, infant s urine may normally contain significant amounts of uric acid. These crystals get trapped in the diaper liner and appear like red brick dust. If the "blood" in the urine has this appearance, it is probably not really blood but uric acid crystals.

Victim of Birth Rape & Coerced ribboncesarean.gifUnnecesareanribboncesarean.gif What makes people think they can cut up someone else's genitals? nocirc.gif
#4 of 7 Old 05-08-2008, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter

wow, thank goodness for this forum, I have never heard of such a thing. Thanks

Mom of 3 sons and one daughter
#5 of 7 Old 05-08-2008, 12:51 PM

Just wanted to reassure you and agree with the other posters. It sounds like it is probably brick dust.

When my DS was about 4 days old, I FREAKED out because there was this red-orange looking stuff in his diaper (little stains right around where urine comes out in the front). I was so nervous when we arrived at the pedi's especially after hearing some of the horror stories about what mommies and their intact sons go through at the doctor's office. As it turned out, our doctor just barely glanced in the diaper and said "yup, it's uric acid crystals, very common in newborns" and that was that. No worries!
#6 of 7 Old 05-08-2008, 01:27 PM

The uric acid crystals are an indication of concentrated urine from being slightly dehydrated. It should go away as the milk supply comes in and breastfeeding gets better established.

Congrats on your new baby, and thanks for leaving him intact!

Gillian
#7 of 7 Old 05-08-2008, 10:09 PM

I was going to link you to brick dust as well but I see it has been covered my ds had the same thing. My milk took till the end of day 3 to come in and he had it until it was in good at day 5.

I called the ped. and he told me that if I should bring him in if it didnt go away as there was probably something wrong with his foreskin :

It just happend that I had a mw follow up that evening and he had a diaper like that again and the nurse told me what it was. Foreskin indeed :

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page