Parenting Magazine blurb on circ, leans pro-circ, anybody surprised? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 05-20-2008, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi Mamas and friends,

I bought a case of diapers online once, and ever since then my household has had a subscription to Parenting magazine inflicted upon it. Besides using it to train puppies, line bird cages, and wrap dead fish, I have paged through it to see how the mainstream media is trying to sell plastic baby toys, er, I mean, present parenting issues. Here's the one that hacked me off this month:

http://www.parenting.com/article/Bab...ircumciseornot

A choice quote:
"The procedure itself carries a tiny risk of complications (including infection, excess bleeding, and cysts), but these are rare."

Don't you just love it? It's a TINY risk.... and it's RARE. please. This is in direct contradiction of what my wonderful pediatrician told us, and what we all know - cutting off part of someone's intimate anatomy when they are too little to protest... is a violation of their personhood. It's also wrong on the percentage of US children now circed, isn't it? It says 60%. :

Anyway, it annoyed me and I wanted to vent, thanks for listening. I'll have to stop reading this rag, it's raising my blood pressure, and I wouldn't want to disturb DC #2, who is male, in utero, and who will NOT be circed...

love to you all
-Xen

Mamma to Amelia (8/13/2006) Henry (7/28/2008), and Arthur (1/15/2011)
#2 of 11 Old 05-21-2008, 12:02 AM

:Puke

That is so utterly disgusting. I can't believe this:

"If you do decide to circumcise, ask the practitioner to use local anesthesia, which can make it no more painful than getting a shot, and apply antibiotic ointment to the area at every diaper change for the first week to ten days to prevent an infection."

Like that makes it ok?! What about all of the pain he'll endure afterwards?! I'm totally mortified. People actually believe this s#!t?
#3 of 11 Old 05-21-2008, 12:09 AM

i saw this too at my SIL's house.... another article was about breaking "bad" parenting habits....like co-sleeping. grrrr.
#4 of 11 Old 05-21-2008, 01:48 AM

Thats disgusting!

Since the rates ARE dropping, I'm not surprised to see more circ propaganda.

It seems 'they' are getting aggressive.

This what disturbed me the most:
Quote:
but parents who decide not to circumcise shouldn't feel like they're denying their sons proper medical care.

This BullS#!T is an attempt to push the circ rates higher. Are Americans dumb enough to fall for it? sad indeed.

On the bright side, its a sign of the times I say, the pro-circ camp must be feeling like they're loosing their campaign since they feel the 'need' to spout out such idiocy.
#5 of 11 Old 05-21-2008, 02:08 AM

I have no idea how or why I get this magazine, I didn't even know I got it until this issue came. I thought I only got Parents (thanks, motherhood maternity). Shows how much attention I pay to it.

Anyway, I loved how they were sure to bold the "facts" of why you should have a circ done. Why not bold "this is optional surgery on your perfect newborn." That's a fact, you know.
#6 of 11 Old 05-21-2008, 02:14 AM

yup! I emailed them and told them that I wasn't going to get their magazine anymore and will tell all my friends to do so as well! :

Latina Mama of 3 and Wife of a great man since 1997
: : : : : : :
#7 of 11 Old 05-21-2008, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by layla983 View Post
I have no idea how or why I get this magazine, I didn't even know I got it until this issue came. I thought I only got Parents (thanks, motherhood maternity). Shows how much attention I pay to it.

Anyway, I loved how they were sure to bold the "facts" of why you should have a circ done. Why not bold "this is optional surgery on your perfect newborn." That's a fact, you know.
I didn't see the bold you're speaking of.

Maybe thats just in the tangible print and not the online source.

Notice you can't leave a comment like they've let viewers in the past?
#8 of 11 Old 05-21-2008, 10:37 AM

Quote:
and apply antibiotic ointment to the area at every diaper change for the first week to ten days to prevent an infection.
I always thought it was odd that pro-circs always claim they're doing it "to prevent infections" and yet one of the risks is "infection."

Bizarre.
#9 of 11 Old 05-21-2008, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkinheadmommy View Post
I always thought it was odd that pro-circs always claim they're doing it "to prevent infections" and yet one of the risks is "infection."

Bizarre.
I have always thought this was insane, too. DS might have an eye infection at some point in his life, so let's cut off his eyelids, too. By the time we get done chopping all the bits off people that might get infected, there won't be much of the human being left.

I also noticed that they weren't permitting comments. I was going to leave a nice flaming bag of verbal dog p00p at their site, but I was foiled before I began...

I like PP's idea of just telling them to stop sending their twaddle to my house, as I only chuck it straight into the recycling bin... what a piece of krap.

Mamma to Amelia (8/13/2006) Henry (7/28/2008), and Arthur (1/15/2011)
#10 of 11 Old 05-21-2008, 04:53 PM

I love how they talk about the mounting evidence that circ has medical benefits, and then use the ancient claim that it reduces the incidence of UTIs from 1/100 to 1/1000. and that doctor's comments about parents who leave their sons intact - WOW. Talk about insulting. I'm so glad I don't get this magazine or recommend it to my friends, and this article confirms that I never will.
#11 of 11 Old 05-22-2008, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitful womb View Post
I didn't see the bold you're speaking of.

Maybe thats just in the tangible print and not the online source.

Notice you can't leave a comment like they've let viewers in the past?
I already threw it away, but in the magazine it had the "fewer UTI" & "less risk for STD's" parts in bold type.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page