Pressure By Doctors To Circ - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-25-2008, 01:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've never had an OB or pediatrician pressure me to circ my sons. The ped we had with our 1st child never even brought it up, and my OB certainly never brought it up-they deal with pregnant women not babies. The only doctor who ever mentioned it was DS1's urologist after he had a UTI that was found to be caused by proteus bacteria, and after I did my own research and learned about how serious a proteus infection can be I wasn't upset with him for mentioning circ, he was just doing his job. And even then it wasn't like he was saying we needed to get him circ'd right away or anything like that, and he considered it to be an absolute last resort. So I'd be pretty shocked if I was ever solicited by a doctor for that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2008, 09:36 AM

I just posted this on another thread, please, please if you have been pressured to circumcise:

DO file complaints, they really do cause hospitals and doctors to re-think their actions:

http://www.jointcommission.org/AboutUs/ContactUs/

Written correspondence should be sent to:

The Joint Commission
One Renaissance Blvd.
Oakbrook Terrace, IL 60181

And be sure to cc your complaint letter to the doctor(s) the head OB, the Risk Manager, and the Chief Compliance Office of the hospital.

By the way, it is never too late to cause them to rethink their behavior - if you were repeatedly solicited for circumcision, even if it was a few years ago, consider sending in a complaint letter at least to the hospital Chief Compliance Office, Risk Manager, Nurse Manager, and head OB, in addition to your OB and pediatrician.
Old 05-25-2008, 02:17 PM

I was pressured to circumcise about a year ago when I was about 18, in the UK. I had some small problem with my penis (some veins appeared swollen), which I went to my doctor for, and he decided to refer me to a urologist.

The urologist examined my penis, found no problem with my veins, but decided that I should be circumcised because my foreskin was tight. I immediately refused, and I tried to explain that it wasn't as tight as it had been a year before, because I had been stretching it. He told me that my stretching loosened the foreskin by giving it small tears, and that it would soon become even tighter. He also told me that I would get a build up of smegma, which he said could cause cancer.

I refused the operation, and he offered a 'half-circumcision', and I still refused, and he seemed to get a little annoyed. He told me "well, think about it, and if you wait you may later get paraphimosis, and then we'll be operating on an emergency basis".

A year later, and of course my penis is fine. Unfortunately at the time I was a little upset by the whole thing, and I didn't realise that I could actually complain about it, so I didn't file any complaints.

(sorry if this post is TMI, or a little too long. I just saw this thread and decided to relate my experience to everyone.)
Old 05-25-2008, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnathanDorley View Post
A year later, and of course my penis is fine. Unfortunately at the time I was a little upset by the whole thing, and I didn't realise that I could actually complain about it, so I didn't file any complaints.

(sorry if this post is TMI, or a little too long. I just saw this thread and decided to relate my experience to everyone.)

Thank goodness you had the good sense to turn it down. I am disappointed to hear that even in a non-RIC country like the UK some doctors are ignorant about normal male anatomy.

Welcome to the board!

OUR DAUGHTERS ARE PROTECTED SHOULDN'T OUR SONS BE TOO! :
Old 05-26-2008, 10:45 AM

This thread is at least heartening. Just 10 years ago, a significant portion of mothers posting here would be reporting that they were aggressively solicited for circumcision. There were reports just a few years ago of doctors and nurses teaming up against mothers who were resisting. There were stories posted by mothers of being brought to tears because the solicitations were so intense and also mothers who eventually gave in to the pressure and regreted the final decision.

Anyone who gets this intense solicitation should contact John Geisheker with Doctors Opposing Circumcision. John is an attorney and will be happy to write letters to the doctor and hospital explaining why this solicitation is not a good idea from a liability standpoint and that they are at significant financial and legal risk in heavily soliciting circumcision. Doctors and hospitals pay especially close attention to letters from lawyers and these letters have ended the solicitation at many hospitals.

Frank
Old 05-26-2008, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnathanDorley View Post
I was pressured to circumcise about a year ago when I was about 18, in the UK. I had some small problem with my penis (some veins appeared swollen), which I went to my doctor for, and he decided to refer me to a urologist.

The urologist examined my penis, found no problem with my veins, but decided that I should be circumcised because my foreskin was tight. I immediately refused, and I tried to explain that it wasn't as tight as it had been a year before, because I had been stretching it. He told me that my stretching loosened the foreskin by giving it small tears, and that it would soon become even tighter. He also told me that I would get a build up of smegma, which he said could cause cancer.

I refused the operation, and he offered a 'half-circumcision', and I still refused, and he seemed to get a little annoyed. He told me "well, think about it, and if you wait you may later get paraphimosis, and then we'll be operating on an emergency basis".

sadly there are ignorant Drs in this country as well (I am also in the UK) my husband was circed as an 8yo due to ballooning. That was 30 yrs ago though...
Old 05-26-2008, 03:03 PM

Oh yeah, wanted to add-my midwives ask parents and if they say yes, they explain why its not needed, the rates in this area, let them ask questions, etc. If they still say yes, she sends them home with *the* circ video (my dh made about 12 copies to DVD and they've been there for over 3 years now). In a year's time, one midwife had 8 couples say they still wanted it done after the talk. After the video, only 1 still insisted (and she said the mom wasnt happy about it). One a year out of...well, they are pretty busy...thats not too shabby.

Cari-mama to Eriq, Lile, Paikea, Kaidyn, and Mieke is here!! 2/9/10
Old 05-26-2008, 09:07 PM

I defiantly got pressured by the delivering OB to circ. (I didn't of course) but i mean he said to me "ok he looks good we can get him circ'ed tomorrow" (This is RIGHT after delivery, i mean he just stitched me up and im still laying there bleeding when he says this to me) Im like "um..no were NOT getting him circ'ed" and of course he spews all this non-sense about it being cleaner and healthier (my pro-circ. family is in the room too and eating up every word he says) and its better to just get it done now...yeah ok...im not getting it done. So that fiasco was over, and i really had no other problems, my lactation consultant just asked me if I was circ'ing him out of curiosity and i said "no" and she said "good" the pedi, came in and looked at him but didn't ask about getting him circ'ed. and the day i was getting discharged (like an hour before they let me go) one of the recovery nurse's walks in and goes "oh did you want him circumcised?" I said "no" and she just walked out. So that was good its like they forgot about me till i was about to walk out the door, LOL. and then the delivering OB (again) came in just to check on me and see how i was doing, said i looked good and was discharging me and before he walked out he say's "If you change your mind about getting him circ'ed, let me know, i can do it"

Thanks for the support butt head!!! Luckily i just got stuck with him delivering, I LOVE my regular OB but too bad he couldn't deliver for me :-( oh well, next time ;-) he he. Im not really sure if he is pro-circ./ anti circ. the visit after my 20 week u/s and i found out its a boy he asked me if i was going to circ. and he just circled "yes" on the chart before i could even answer but when i said no he just scratched it out and circled "no" but didn't say anything to me about it. He is Spanish (not stereotyping here) so i would imagine he is intact himself and his son should be intact too?? who knows though?

Anyway, sorry that got long. IMO yes doctors do inappropriately pressure parents to circumcise and it is WRONG!!

User Tag List